Tyler's fried rice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarah

Head Chef
this is my favorite recipe for fried rice,easy and tasty! you guys have probably watched it on tv!

FRIED RICE WITH PEAS AND CARROTS

Rice:
2 cups long-grain white rice, rinsed
4 cups cold water
1 (1-inch) piece ginger, peeled and sliced in 1/2
1 tablespoon kosher salt

Stir-fry:
3 tablespoons sesame oil
4 scallions, sliced thin
1 (1-inch) piece ginger, peeled and finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 cup frozen peas, run under cool water for 2 minutes to thaw
1 carrot, finely chopped
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
Kosher salt
Cilantro leaves, for garnish

In a pot with a tight fitting lid, add the rice and 4 cups cold water. Put in the ginger and salt. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside for about 10 minutes.
Heat a wok or large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. When it is hot, pour in the sesame oil. Add the scallions, ginger, and garlic; stir-fry for 1 minute until fragrant. Stir in the peas and carrots and cook for about 2 minutes. Pour in the eggs and stir-fry until they are cooked, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the ginger from the rice and add the rice to the wok; stir everything together and break up any clumps of rice. Add the soy and hoisin and stir some more. Taste for seasoning and add some salt if needed. Stir in the cilantro leaves and serve.

yummm, this one is is the on deck circle for me. been wokking a lot lately, looking for new recipes. we love veggie fried rice. i think i'll toss in some mung bean sprouts and maybe bok choy too.

i have to re-season my wok tho. dw was trying to help and "got all of that black stuff off the wok with some brillo"....:mad:

I've been craving some Fried Rice. Think I'll throw in some thin slices of pork too.

buckytom said:
yummm, this one is is the on deck circle for me. been wokking a lot lately, looking for new recipes. we love veggie fried rice. i think i'll toss in some mung bean sprouts and maybe bok choy too.

i have to re-season my wok tho. dw was trying to help and "got all of that black stuff off the wok with some brillo"....:mad:

my wok has been black ever since i can remember:LOL: ,i've forgotten its original color,lol.Think its time i scrub that "black stuff" away too.

Spice1133 said:
I've been craving some Fried Rice. Think I'll throw in some thin slices of pork too.

you can add small cubes of chicken too,thats what i do sometimes,and one more thing,i dont use just sesame oil,i instead use veg oil and add a tsp of sesame oil at the end,i think it tastes better this way,too much sesame oil makes food taste bitter i think...

sarah said:
you can add small cubes of chicken too,thats what i do sometimes,and one more thing,i dont use just sesame oil,i instead use veg oil and add a tsp of sesame oil at the end,i think it tastes better this way,too much sesame oil makes food taste bitter i think...

Sarah, I agree. Sesame oil loses it flavor over high heat so cooking with another vegetable oil like peanut or canola then finishing with sesame would make a lot of sense.

btw sarah, how's the little sous chef coming along? is fried rice one of your cravings? for dw, it was soy milk (first vanilla, then chocolate in the last trimester) and strawberry mochi.

the little sous chef is doing pretty good:) ,been quite active lately...its very reassuring to feel your baby move inside you,i feel wonderful...
if i start counting my cravings these days,the list will be too long,lol...i feel like eating something all the time,specially desserts,i'm making one almost everyday these days,i was afraid i was gonna to be over weight,but my doc says i'm still a little under weight...lol...so i can eat anything i want,right?:ROFLMAO:

Watermellon was all I wanted with my Kevin...
Do you remember I said it would feel like you swallowed a gold fish?? Do you agree??
Marge

Dove said:
Watermellon was all I wanted with my Kevin...
Do you remember I said it would feel like you swallowed a gold fish?? Do you agree??
Marge

yesssss i remember,infact i thought about what u said when i felt her move for the 1st time:LOL: ,but that was a very light movement,its different now,i totally agree!:)

Back
Top Bottom