Veg. Masala Rice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vickie1388

Assistant Cook
IMG_2066.JPG

: Method :
Wash rice drain in a colander for 10 minutes.
Carefully spread out on clean kitchen towel for 5-7 minutes.
Heat oil in wide frying pan, add cashews and peanuts.
Allow to roast lightly, add seeds, asafetida, allow to splutter.
Add curry leaves, coriander leaves, stir, add rice.
Stirfry very gently with spatula, for 3-4 minutes.
Take care not to break grains. Add all masala powders, salt, citric acid. Cool to room temperature, store in airtight container or drip-proof bag.

: To Cook :
Heat 2 & ½ cups water in skillet, bring to a boil.
Add rice, stir gently occasionally.
Cover and simmer till rice is done.

: Variation : Add any available veggies if desired, like mixed frozen veggies, peas, etc.to make it even more delectable. : Making time :
prior time 25 minutes

: Time :
6-7 minutes

Edited by kitchenelf to say - - **please see Post #22 for ingredient list with amounts**

Last edited by a moderator:
This sounds and looks really good. A few questions though:
What type of rice? Can I use brown rice? How does that affect cook time?
What is asafetida? I don't know I'll be able to get that here, I will have to check around.
And what is generally in the Masala powders?
What seeds? Sesame seeds?

This really looks good and I would definitely like to try it. Any suggestions would be great!

Do you normally use this as a main dish or a side dish? If as a side dish, what do you use for the main dish? Thank you!

No need to store asafoetida outside. Yes, it has a very pungent smell, but it comes in its own little airtight container. The only time I'm aware of its presence is when I open that container.

Huh? I'll have to find an Indian market nearby. This looks awesome, and I've been trying to incorporate more brown rice and other grains in our lives along with veggies, this would be perfect. I will be looking around!

What does it taste like? Hope it doesn't taste like it smells?

Lol! No, it doesn't taste the way it smells, but it's difficult to describe the taste since you add just a tiny amount which is then dispersed throughout the whole dish. I guess the best way to describe it would be that it adds a certain "depth" to a dish without making its own individuality known. I can only say that I do notice the difference in a recipe that calls for it when I've made the recipe both with & without it.

Vickie - has anyone besides me just noticed that you don't give any ingredient AMOUNTS!!!!! Not for the rice, the veggies, seasonings - nothing. I'm kind of thinking that's pretty important for a recipe like this.

Please at least give ballpark ingredient amounts - especially for the seasonings. Asafoetida is only used in pinches. Someone may add more & completely ruin what looks like a wonderful dish. And think about it - "2-1/2 cups of water & then add rice"??? How much rice??

You need to rethink & amend this a little before it's usable.

Lol! No, it doesn't taste the way it smells, but it's difficult to describe the taste since you add just a tiny amount which is then dispersed throughout the whole dish. I guess the best way to describe it would be that it adds a certain "depth" to a dish without making its own individuality known. I can only say that I do notice the difference in a recipe that calls for it when I've made the recipe both with & without it.

good to know! Thank you. That does explain it very well. I think that's what entices me about Indian cuisine, is that there are a lot of layers of flavors. It will be a completely new way of cooking. I also found that All Recipes.com has a website for people from Australia, New Zealand and beyond. I signed up for it. A different variety than I've seen before.

I also started searching for some Indian markets in the area. I found a few that I'm going to try out. We'll see how my adventure goes!! :pig:

think of asafoetida as fish sauce.........both smell to high heaven but they are so wonderful to the overall taste of the dish (just for your info the "foetida" in asfoetida means "fetid"...........there's a reason but it's so wonderful in Indian dishes like fish sauce is so essential to Thai dishes......your masala rice looks wonderful!!!

Has anyone else noticed how many of the same spices used in Indian cooking are also the same used in Mexican cooking? I love both cuisines. When I finally discovered that, it all made sense. :ROFLMAO:

I'd STILL like to have some ideas of AMOUNTS here. I mean, doesn't anyone besides me realize that there's absolutely NO INFORMATION here? How much asafoetida? Citric Acid? Curry leaves? Seeds - WHAT seeds? HOW MUCH RICE versus HOW MUCH everything else?

Everyone is waxing rhapsodic on how good this looks & sounds, but there's virtually NO INFO here.

I notice that "Michael in Ft. Worth" edited the OP's recipe post - perhaps he was a bit too zealous??

these are just approx based on looking at the picture........until the author gets back to you......but for that amount of rice.......(1 cup regular rice usually yields 3 cups) I'd use 1/2tsp of asafoetida, 1/2 tsp. of coriander seeds (I'd crush mine with a mortar and pestle to release the essential oils, 1 tsp salt, probably two tablespoons of chopped coriander, a few of those leaves (forget their name now). I'd also add some chopped onion and garlic that I had caramelized in another pan..........

as for citric acid (you can use lime or lemon juice-------I'd start with 1-2tsp and taste what's good to you.......by the way the asafoetida is not absolutely necessary if you can't find it..........

these are just approx based on looking at the picture........until the author gets back to you......but for that amount of rice.......(1 cup regular rice usually yields 3 cups) I'd use 1/2tsp of asafoetida, 1/2 tsp. of coriander seeds (I'd crush mine with a mortar and pestle to release the essential oils, 1 tsp salt, probably two tablespoons of chopped coriander, a few of those leaves (forget their name now). I'd also add some chopped onion and garlic that I had caramelized in another pan..........
Hey Tex, I enjoy your style of cooking. But do you really carmelize onions and garlic together? Overcooked garlic is very bitter to my taste buds. I love garlic, so this is a serious question to me. :)

Back
Top Bottom