Veg. Masala Rice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey Tex, I enjoy your style of cooking. But do you really carmelize onions and garlic together? Overcooked garlic is very bitter to my taste buds. I love garlic, so this is a serious question to me. :)

it may be the wrong or unconventional thing to do but yes, I do:LOL: so far I've never burnt the garlic but I know how easy it's to do and what a horrible stench there is........I do start the onions first and then add the garlic toward the end........

I m extremely sorry guys! ..
Think i forgot writing the ingredients in a hurry!

ne ways .. heres the recipe.. again . .

Ingredients
1 cup - basmati or long grain rice
1 stalk - curry leaves
2 stalks - coriander leaves
1 tsp - red chilli powder
1 ½ tsp - sambar masala powder
1 ½ tsp - turmeric powder
1 ½ tsp - each mustard & cumin powder
2 to 3 pinches - asafetida powder
4 to 5 - cashews, broken roughly
1 tbsp - peanuts
2 to 3 pinches - citric acid
2 tbsp - oil
1 ½ tsp - salt

: Method :
Wash rice drain in a colander for 10 minutes.
Carefully spread out on clean kitchen towel for 5-7 minutes.
Heat oil in wide frying pan, add cashews and peanuts.
Allow to roast lightly, add seeds, asafetida, allow to splutter.
Add curry leaves, coriander leaves, stir, add rice.
Stirfry very gently with spatula, for 3-4 minutes.
Take care not to break grains. Add all masala powders, salt, citric acid. Cool to room temperature, store in airtight container or drip-proof bag.

: To Cook :
Heat 2 & ½ cups water in skillet, bring to a boil.
Add rice, stir gently occasionally.
Cover and simmer till rice is done.

: Variation : Add any available veggies if desired, like mixed frozen veggies, peas, etc.to make it even more delectable. : Making time :
prior time 25 minutes

: Time :
6-7 minutes

I m sorry . .once again!
but the mistake is now corrected!

it may be the wrong or unconventional thing to do but yes, I do:LOL: so far I've never burnt the garlic but I know how easy it's to do and what a horrible stench there is........I do start the onions first and then add the garlic toward the end........
Okay, to be clear, because as I mentioned, garlic is a passion for me (I am half Hungarian): sounds like you have the onions almost done carmelizing and then you throw in your chopped garlic? You then cook the new mixture but not to the point the garlic gets burned? If correct, that is exactly what I do - but when I put in the minced garlic, I also add some freshly chopped herbs (if I have them). If not I use bottled cumin, oregano and anything else that fits my fancy at the time. When the smelll is right, I add my stock and anything else that I want to cook with the rice. It is never the same twice. :ROFLMAO:

Hey, Marty, I must be part Hungarian 'cause that's the way I cook and if a recipe doesn't call for garlic it goes in anyway!! unless it's a delicate Asian dish and then I have to debate it :):)

boy, Vickie, you got here just in time as a breeze was turning into a tornado (just kidding)....thanks for posting the ingredients......my hubby and I love rice Marsala and I was just guessing as you could well see........unfortunately my Indian books are at home as I knew I would Never find the ingredients here.......

Hey, Marty, I must be part Hungarian 'cause that's the way I cook and if a recipe doesn't call for garlic it goes in anyway!! unless it's a delicate Asian dish and then I have to debate it :):)
That's right, Tex! My Holy Trinity is onions, garlic and spices. If your lip doesn't sweat, it isn't hot enough. (This is a product of my upbringing. :wOOt2:)

that seals the deal......I'm officially part Hungarian...........
:ROFLMAO: Welcome. Now if I could find out how my grandmother used to make Hungarian Peasant Bread for my grandfather (whole garlic cloves in the dough), I would be in Heaven. When I was a boy I always hung around the several Matriarch women in my extended family. I learned a lot of things I use in cooking today, but I wasn't interested in breads then. Darn! So I can't make tortillas or flat breads. I am "getting there" with breads I can do in my bread machine and even with sourdough starter. I have googled it, but so far no luck. It was a flat, round bread; real crunchy and 'sticky'; it was loaded with whole cloves of garlic. MMMMmmm :bounce:

Well - should be do an ethnicity poll? So far (me included), at least in this post anyway, the Hungarians are dominating! :chef:

this is all mbasiszta's fault.........I promise you.....I had nothing to do with it...........:):) sorry, Kitchen Elf.......but I was really waiting for Vickie to come back with her ingredients .........jest kidding.....ok get the hint......:):)

do u want ebook on indian cooking?
boy, Vickie, you got here just in time as a breeze was turning into a tornado (just kidding)....thanks for posting the ingredients......my hubby and I love rice Marsala and I was just guessing as you could well see........unfortunately my Indian books are at home as I knew I would Never find the ingredients here.......

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom