What are your favorite pre-made beans?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I grew up on VanCamp's Pork & Beans, when they still put that little chunk of pork in each can. My older sister and i argued about who got that little chunk of meat. Those are still my favorites, followed by:
B&M baked beans, in the bottle
Bush's Country Style Baked Beans
Bush's Maple Baked Beans
Bush's Original Baked Beans
Cooked Great Northern Beans (I can make so many things with them)

My Dad loved B&M baked beans in the bottle. He liked the Molasses flavor in them.

Of course there is nothing better than your favorite homemade baked beans, cooked low and slow in the oven. But when you need a quick batch of beans to go along with hot dogs, burgers, or whatever, these work great.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I'm also a fan of B&M original flavor. Their bacon and onion flavor is good as well. I like the former with Bullseye BBQ sauce for BBQ beans.

For me growing up - it was either Heinz or VanCamp. Don't remember which we had where, Minn or Ont.

But, in either case, I definitely did NOT like that little piece of pork, yech.

Refried beans for me covered with cheese have always been my favorite.
Just made a fresh batch a day ago or so.

Last edited:
I used to keep a supply of the Rosarita canned refried beans, when they came in the 8 oz can. Maybe they still do, but I've not been able to find them in more than 10 years? Anyway, that 8 ounce size was perfect for making a quick batch of nachos. When I could no longer find that size, I learned to make my own and freeze them in 1 cup bags. Must say, making your own gives more freedom to tailor them...and they are cheaper too!

I do keep a selection of canned beans in the pantry. But mostly for using in recipes for one thing or another. Chili, soups, dips, etc. I usually have kidney beans (red & white), Great Northern Beans, Garbanzo, Black Beans...and then there are the baked beans for making "saucy baked beans" too.

I rarely buy anything boxed or canned. (Just far too many chemicals for my taste.) It's gotta be fresh or frozen for me. I usually make everything else needed. I've always liked to cook and at 74 I still do.
My pantry is full of bagged goods instead of canned goods.

I don't keep any pre-made beans in the pantry - just some canned black beans, garbanzos, and some other plain beans. But my mom used to use B&M, and added more blackstrap to it, to get that flavor. And always more bacon.

Last edited:
I rarely buy beans in a can either but when I want something sweet to go along with a spicy smoked Cajun sausage I go with B&M. I doctor it up a bit, though. For every other recipe that calls for beans I generally make them myself unless I'm desperate.

Campbell's Pork & Beans, and it still is. I buy them by the case. There are no other canned beans with that unique flavor. I braise lightly fried pork chops in them. My mother told me when I was just a kid, "You will never get a dry pork chop cooked this way."

KZ1qnQ3b22Nr-Fhcb4HoJHIhepuYJNF27n5wS9-4ELUyIdlKv6gmdp5wDW18-cGuV0sTuw=s128

I also use them to make German/Mexican fusion.

Last edited:
Campbell's Pork & Beans, and it still is. I buy them by the case. There are no other canned beans with that unique flavor. I braise lightly fried pork chops in them. My mother told me when I was just a kid, "You will never get a dry pork chop cooked this way."

KZ1qnQ3b22Nr-Fhcb4HoJHIhepuYJNF27n5wS9-4ELUyIdlKv6gmdp5wDW18-cGuV0sTuw=s128

I also use them to make German/Mexican fusion.
This is interesting. Care to share what this would be?. :)

Ross

I'm also a not commercially canned buyer person and buy beans by the 25 lbs sacks.

We make mexican beans-mostly tomato peppers onions.
A chili beans-chili powder, cumin, onions, peppers, tomatoes, more spices.
A baked bean-with molasses and honey, onions peppers, ketchup, worcestershire, vinegar, s&p.

A little over 4 cups of beans makes 3 qts, so I make them in 3 qt batches from dried beans, freeze 2, refrigerate 1. Each qt is like 2 cans of beans, so 1 batch is about 6 cans of beans.

Bush's Asian BBQ Beans.jpeg
(photo credit Walmart.com)

I'm not a big prepared Beans kinda gal, but when I do ...

I LOVE these Beans.
They were part of a companion that Bush's had,
asking folks to vote on several different flavorings of Beans.
This one didn't make it and are no longer produced.
I would give anything for a case of these!!!

View attachment 49958
(photo credit Walmart.com)

I'm not a big prepared Beans kinda gal, but when I do ...

I LOVE these Beans.
They were part of a companion that Bush's had,
asking folks to vote on several different flavorings of Beans.
This one didn't make it and are no longer produced.
I would give anything for a case of these!!!

You could try writing to them. They MIGHT give you a recipe. I did that with Wishbone and their Green Goddess dressing and they sent it to me! Well, a scaled down version that they send out. Anyway, it could be worth a try. Won't even cost you 58 cents to send an email!?

You could try writing to them. They MIGHT give you a recipe. I did that with Wishbone and their Green Goddess dressing and they sent it to me! Well, a scaled down version that they send out. Anyway, it could be worth a try. Won't even cost you 58 cents to send an email!?

DONE!
I never thought of that Ginny, mahalo, thanks!

With Scandinavian parents, I never grew up eating beans. I have tried various kinds of pork and beans, and I just don't care for them. I once enjoyed some bear and beans. A friend made it with her home grown, never dried beans.

Back
Top Bottom