What is your favorite bean dish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My hands down choice would be German/Mexican fusion.

hot_dogs_baked_beans.jpg

I'm really not a fan of most bean dishes. Green beans and was wax beans are good, but I prefer them on their own. I have only once enjoyed baked beans. A friend made it. It was beans from her garden that had not been dried and she substituted bear for pork. There was also very little sugar or other sweetener. I really enjoy Greek style, marinated fava beans. That's about it.

Since I wrote that, two and a half years ago, I have started enjoying soup with beans, Italian sausage, and greens.

They still aren't a favourite, but I do like them added to other stuff, as long as they don't overwhelm the other food.

Refried beans, hands down. I could eat the every day and not get tired of them. Which reminds me I have a question about them I want to ask in a new thread...

Great Northern. White beans. I make Italian bean soup with them. I did not like them growing up but love the bean soup today.

Care to post the recipe? Please. My wife likes bean soup, I've been promising her to make one.

Personally I hate beans.

I have one more favorite bean dish. It's my mother's version of Sicilian braciola di maiale con fagioli al uccelletto or pork chops and beans. It's much simpler than Nick Stellino's recipe and doesn't take very long to prepare.

In two Tablespoons of light tasting olive oil, season four thick cut boneless pork chops generously with salt & pepper, then sauté them over medium heat in a deep non-stick skillet until lightly browned on each side. DO NOT OVERCOOK! Three minutes a side should do it.

Remove pork chops from skillet, drain off oil, replace chops and add one large can of Campbell's pork and beans and one can of water. Simmer over medium low heat until the liquid thickens to a sauce-like consistency. You can use a different brand of canned beans, but no one matches the flavor of the sauce in Campbell's beans, which is enhanced by braising the pork chops in it.

My mother always said, "You will never get a dry pork chop when you cook them like this."

I love beans. I love Boston Baked Beans, beans and ham hocks, 3 bean salads, beans in chili, beans with hot dogs, and barbecue style beans. That being said, I am sometimes just in the mood for a savory, rather than sweet bean dish. When that happens, I love cassoulette. Here is a Youtube Link that shows how to make a wonderful cassolette.
this is a rather time consuming way of making this French bean stew, but is well worth the effort, especially if you are making a large batch to take to a pot luck.

So what is your favorite bean dish? Is it refried beans, or maybe black beans in rice? Let us know.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Kelly Clarkson if I want to make a pot of beans at my house I have to buy distilled water. I'm in Texas and there are a lot of good and bad pots of beans. I really like the good ones.

I like bean nachos, real nachos that are individual ones.

I had a side order of baked beans at a restaurant in Oklahoma that had brisket in them and we're just delicious and we're a meal in themselves.

I also love green beans and potatoes cooked in broth.

Replied to this thread four or five years ago. Since then, acquired a taste for mac & beans. See Pasta Fazool or Pasta Fagioli. But I'm not limited to anything from Italy or New York. So far haven't found a bean or pasta style that doesn't work one way or another.

These are the baked beans that always appeared at family picnics and potlucks.

The leftovers can be frozen with good results and used to make a quick version of bean soup or minestrone.

Lillian Bigsby’s Home Baked Beans

2 lbs. Great northern beans or small white beans
1 cup granulated white sugar
½ pound salt pork or bacon
1 ½ t salt
¼ t black pepper
½ t baking soda

Soak beans overnight in water. Drain beans, cover with fresh water, add baking soda and bring to a boil. Boil 10 minutes with baking soda and drain. Add fresh water to cover the beans by approx. 1 inch and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer slowly until the beans are mushy and begin to break down, approx. 1 ½ -2 hours. Lillian Bigsby said give them a stir and if you think they are done let them cook another ½ hour! (You may add additional water while cooking but, try to resist it.) Stir in sugar, salt and pepper. Pour into a baking dish and nestle the chunk of salt pork into the beans. Bake at 325 degrees for approx. 2 to 3 hours, until most of the liquid is absorbed. The exact timing on these baked beans is difficult. I have had them come out of the oven perfectly after 1 ½ hours and I have had to bake them the full 3 hours.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom