"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-03-2012, 11:06 AM   #61
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Johnstown, Ohio
Posts: 2,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
You won't be sorry. A whole different product.
I know this sounds silly but the thought of making pasta from scratch is intimidating.

I have no idea why.
DampCharcoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:24 AM   #62
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by DampCharcoal View Post
I know this sounds silly but the thought of making pasta from scratch is intimidating.

I have no idea why.
I have the same fear of a pastry bag. And I would love to overcome it so I can decorate a cake.

Give it a try. If you have ever made bread, then you will know by the feel of the dough when it is just right. All it is, is flour and water. What have you got to lose? Just some time and a little amount of ingredients. Start small with just a cup of flour. Pasta dough is one of those recipes that you don't have to follow exactly.

I saw Sara Moulton yesterday working with bread dough. And her secret is to spread a small amount of oil on the counter instead of flour. The oil keeps the dough from sticking to your hands and the counter top. I would think the same secret could work for pasta dough. Just use an oil that you would want to flavor the dough. Give it a try. Report back.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:36 AM   #63
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Johnstown, Ohio
Posts: 2,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I have the same fear of a pastry bag. And I would love to overcome it so I can decorate a cake.

Give it a try. If you have ever made bread, then you will know by the feel of the dough when it is just right. All it is, is flour and water. What have you got to lose? Just some time and a little amount of ingredients. Start small with just a cup of flour. Pasta dough is one of those recipes that you don't have to follow exactly.

I saw Sara Moulton yesterday working with bread dough. And her secret is to spread a small amount of oil on the counter instead of flour. The oil keeps the dough from sticking to your hands and the counter top. I would think the same secret could work for pasta dough. Just use an oil that you would want to flavor the dough. Give it a try. Report back.

Thanks, Addie! I just bumped that project to the top of the list and I appreciate the advice.

Some time I'll tell you about my home made, garden grown pasta sauce experience that ended in complete disaster.
DampCharcoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:39 AM   #64
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by DampCharcoal View Post
Thanks, Addie! I just bumped that project to the top of the list and I appreciate the advice.

Some time I'll tell you about my home made, garden grown pasta sauce experience that ended in complete disaster.
That bad huh?
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:43 AM   #65
Assistant Cook
 
1006gm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 20
Dreamfields. Healthy and delicious. However nothing beats home made. Just can seem to find the time anymore but still make home made pasta sauce from our garden every year. We make enough to get us through to the next harvest! Yum, I am getting a craving...
1006gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:00 PM   #66
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Both in Italy and Spain
Posts: 3,425
Good Evening,

I believe this is a duplicate thread since I had joined December 2011, right before Christmas or New Year´s ... However, we have so many new people lately.

However, I am pleased to see that many of you also use Barilla too ...

It is one of the oldest producers of dry pastas in Italia. It never fails me ...

Have a nice Sunday.
Margi.
Margi Cintrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:14 PM   #67
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 15,357
Barilla for us too. Creamette is o.k. in a pinch.
simonbaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:44 AM   #68
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: USA,Florida
Posts: 2,417
Barilla for me.
__________________
I can resist anything, but temptation. Oscar Wilde
lyndalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:13 AM   #69
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Sir_Loin_of_Beef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sandy Eggo
Posts: 11,800
I've always liked Barilla because you can't screw it up. You could boil that stuff for two hours and it would still come out Al Dente.
__________________
The older I get, the harder it is to tolerate STUPID!
Sir_Loin_of_Beef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:20 AM   #70
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 27,550
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I have never tried Barilla, but I like their TV commercials ;)
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:30 PM   #71
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Prince Macaroni Products. But if it is on sale, Barilla. Prince is made in the western part of the state. My local grocery store carries a very large selection of it and it is quite often on sale. For a long time it was the only pasta maker that made Casserole Elbows. Now it can be found in the house brand. But I still prefer the Prince.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:36 PM   #72
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Sir_Loin_of_Beef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sandy Eggo
Posts: 11,800
My mother HATED Prince macaroni, regardless of what the price was. She swore by Gioia.
__________________
The older I get, the harder it is to tolerate STUPID!
Sir_Loin_of_Beef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:03 PM   #73
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 9,871
I like Barilla, especially no-boil lasagna pasta.
__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
other, pasta

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.