What is Your Pasta Passion?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One of my latest, best pasta dishes comes from David Rocco's Dolce Vita. It's called Pasta Fritta....something his grrandma used to make....try it, you like it....

I had a similar dish for dinner recently - baked pasta carbonara (spaghetti pie/pasta frittata). Spaghetti, eggs, parmesan cheese, etc. - no tomato sauce. Very tasty.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm thinking of a different dish. I googled it, & it reminded me of spaghetti pie.

The dish I like is called "Pasta Frittata."

In late 2010, for the Christmas Holidays, the Vet and I had gone to Punta de Este, Uruguay and had a dish, which was similar to a Bechamel only alot thicker ... tortellini al´ caruso ... It was quite delicious ...

However, I am not sure if this is the dish, you are referring to ?

Kindest. Margi.

Sounds delicious, but different. See the blue link in post #31

Tenor Spaghetti/Spaghetti alla Caruso

Maybe I'm thinking of a different dish. I googled it, & it reminded me of spaghetti pie.

The dish I like is called "Pasta Frittata."

It is a way of using leftover pasta. Italians don't put sauce on their pasta befor it goes tothe table. They put the sauce in a separate bowl or pitcer of some sort. The pasta that is left over is made into a frittata with some veggies like peppers, tomatoes, or whatever is in season. Everything is sauteed in olive oil and then the eggs are added at the end. It is quite good. :yum:

Happy Easter Everybody,

Just a quick note to say thanks to all, who have posted their pasta passions ...

My 50% Italian, is raised to 90% with all these posts ... ha ha

Kind regards.
Margi.

@ Cerise,

HAPPY EASTER ...

Cerise, this video on You Tube with the 3 Tenors is amazing ... Why ?

We had gone with my parents to see Luciano Pavoratti, Placido Domingo and José Carrera in the Philharmonic NYC in the 1990s ... They sang in Italian, Spanish, French, German and English and it was absolutely amazing ... The best of Christmas songs from traditional to modern ...

I am a great fan of Placido Domingo and Luciano particularly ... José Carrera is Catalan and lives in Barcelona to my knowledge and Placido resides in Wash. D.C. though he is Spanish.

Thanks ...
Margi.

Margi, I think I am safe in speaking for everyone here in DC land. Having you as a contributor has been such a delight for all of us. You have certainly have given us an international education in food and other areas. I know I look forward to your posts.

I could have sent a private note to you, but I want everyone to know how much you are loved and appreciated. You have certainly given all of us an insight to real Italian cooking. I was fortunate enough to grow up in an Italian neighborhood filled with Italian refugees from World War II during the early 50's. So on school mornings when I would be waiting for one of my friends to leave for school, there would be their Noni in the kitchen already cooking. I got a lot of cooking lessons from them. And I got to spend a lot of suppers at their table breaking bread with them. So I know how valuable all your knowledge is.

There is a big difference between the foods of Sicily and mainland Italy. And your recipes shows this. Thank you for all of your contributions. Keep them coming. :chef:

Dear Addie,

What a beautiful note. Thanks so much. I appreciate all your kindness. I enjoy all your anecdotes, and heart touching family stories too ...

I am pleased to be here on D.C. too.

I make notes, when I get messages and take a look at other writers, as to what they are looking for recipe wise, and on top of that, I work on the seasonal products we have in Spain and in Italia. I am also going thru all these family recipes, and deciding, what do I put on DC TODAY ? It is a part time job --

About Italia:

Italia: Sicilia, Calabria, Basilicata and Apulia are all in southern Italia, and though they have different topographies and soil, all share the seafront. Therefore, Sicilia is eggplant ( dishes with word Norma or Melazanie ) turf, and Fish rich ! Calabria is very much known for some of its fish varieties ( sword fish, tuna and Rudderfish ), and red chili peps, and Basilicata is mostly forested and mountainuous for The Shepherds ( I Have Never forgotten your son and his desire as a child to be a shepherd ) ... and 13km of coast, and APULIA, has oysters, mussels, eggplant, and shepherds too and an enormous olive oil and olive, wine and vegetable economy. I love Italia ... alot more than Spain, though the Tapas in Spain are alot of fun and it is alot cheaper to live in Madrid than in Italia. However, for me, there is nothing like the aromas of a freshly baked Pasta ! Great wines in both these nations.

Well, I am gratefully appreciative and may you have a rainbow day.

Have a very lovely Easter Holiday ... and you are very beautiful to send such a note.

Thanks,
Sempre.
Margi.

Last edited:
Pasta I like

1) Rigatoni gratinati, with a basil tomato sauce and lots of pecorino and parmegiano on top, baked to a nice crisp.
2) Bucatini alla Bolognese
3) Ravioli Primavera
4) Risotto (if rice is considered a pasta) ai Funghi Selvatici.
5) Tortellini di spinaci gratinati
6) Linguine al tonno e alici. (tuna and anchovies).
7) Spaghetti in bianco (just butter and parmiggiano).

Margi,

Don't forget Campania and the wonderful food from Naples including the famous Sunday sauce.

Sicily is also about olives and peppers (caponata?), the deserts are also wonderful (cassata siciliana?) and frittarelli from Naples are awesome...

Now you got me all Pavlovian with a watering mouth going...

When I cook pasta, I toss a couple of crushed garlic cloves in the water as the pasta is cooking. I also do his for potatoes. You can never have too much garlic. Good for the heart. :yum:

What a great idea!

I have been doing this for years. And I leave the garlic in the pasta when I drain it. Whoever eats the most pasta gets the garlic. It is already cooked, so the strong taste is gone. And for the potaotes, I just mash the garlic right into the potatoes. It adds flavor to them and no one is the wiser. :)

Back
Top Bottom