Abbreviated Shrimp Creole recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mudbug

Chef Extraordinaire
here's a quick description

Make a light brown roux. Add your chopped veggies (about a cup each of onion, bell pepper, celery) and 3 minced garlic cloves.

Saute veggies just until wilted, then blend in a 1-lb. can of whole tomatoes, crushed, with their juice.

Add a couple of bay leaves and 2 cups of shrimp stock or water, blending everything again. Add salt and pepper, then simmer gently for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add about 2 lbs. of shrimp and cook for 15 more minutes, but don't overcook them.

just before serving add some fresh chopped parsley and serve over steamed or boiled rice.

Mudbug, you make me miss the bayou. There was an old fisherman who'd come by now and then with a burlap bag over his shoulder of whatever he had extra. He sold me shrimp (mixed sizes) at 10 cents for a big scoop that was about a lb. He didn't speak much English, but we managed to communicate. One day he pulled a lovely fish out of the bag, held it up by the tail and gave it a smack. "Redfish, 2 dollars."

Back to your shrimp Creole, I fixed that so often...not just with shrimp, but also with fish, chicken or pork chops. It's Cajun comfort food!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom