Albuquerque-Style Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
Albuquerque-Style Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas

2-3 boneless-skinless Chicken Thighs, poached & shredded (save that Chicken Broth for another dish ;))

5-6 Flour Tortillas

2-3 Hatch Green Chiles, chopped (I found canned whole Chiles at Costco, I just divide up the jumbo sized cans into zip-top bags and freeze them)

1 can Hatch brand Green Chile Enchilada Sauce

½ C. shredded Cheese of your choice (I like the ‘fiesta’ bagged cheese)

Preheat the broiler in your oven and move the rack up closest to the heat source.

Heat the tortillas, using the method you like. I wrap them in a damp paper towel and microwave them for about 30 seconds, or now, I toast them on a gas cook-top.

Combine the Chicken and half of the chopped Chiles with just enough Sauce in a bowl to moisten the meat; heat in the microwave until very warm.

On broiler-safe dishes, place a Tortilla; spoon some of the Chicken mixture down the middle. Roll up the Tortilla like a cigar, just not too tightly. Continue this process until you have as many Enchiladas on each plate per person.

Spoon as much Sauce as you like over the top of the Enchiladas; sprinkle with Cheese and more chopped Chiles, a lot or a little, it’s up to you.

Put the plates, now full of Enchiladas, under the broiler to melt the cheese to the desired gooey-ness.

**Be VERY careful removing the plates from the oven; put a trivet on the table in front of each diner to set the plates down on, remember, it’s hot.**

This recipe will feed two very hunger adults.

Albuquerque-Style Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas.jpg

*Back story: In 2010 DH and I took a road trip to New Mexico. I would say that is one reason that we moved here to begin with, we enjoy car trips as opposed to flying. Having lived in Hawaii for the majority of my life may have added to that wanderlust.
Our last stop on this particular journey was Albuquerque. We like to do research on the ‘net about new places that we plan on going to, this was no exception. We do City Tours that are offered as a jumping-off point; take note of where we’d like to go back to and investigate later. At the end of this tour via ole’ time trolley car, the two guides gave out restaurant advice. Frontier was the place to go for Cinnamon Rolls the size of your head. Okay. We went back to our hotel, and I asked the gal at the front desk where she would go to eat really good Mexican Food, when in Rome… she agreed with the Frontier Restaurant. Off we went. I am corrected; it’s not Mexican food, but NEW Mexican Food in Albuquerque.
In New Mexico, there seems to be a long standing banter over Red or Green Chiles. For us though, we found the Hatch Green Chiles the best, either mild or medium.
Back then, I didn’t take pictures of my food, what I did do was write stuff down. When we got home, I figured out how to very closely duplicate the dish that my husband liked most, but with my own twist.

Back
Top Bottom