Am looking for an authentic recipe for Mrs. Ball's South African Chutney.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BuzzyBuzzina

Assistant Cook
I am preparing an authentic South African Dinner for my book group. We are reading The #1 Ladies Detective Agency and I would like to make this chutney. Does any one have the recipe?

Oh my gosh! The best chutney in the universe.
Yes, I'll look for my recipe. What are you cooking? I have a great Bobotie recipe if you're interested. -Sandyj

Mrs. Ball's Chutney recipe (1)

If I knew how to insert a photo, I would put one in that I found of this product.
These are two versions, that made the least quantities and are pretty easy. I have more. These two were shared by SA folks on a SA related website for expats called rainbownation.com:

#1 (you can substitute peaches, which I did)
Ingredients:
2 kg ripe apricots
1 large onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
500g seedless raisins
400 g white sugar
1 ml cayenne pepper
5 ml salt
10 ml ground ginger
5 ml custard powder
500 ml brown vinegar

Halve and stone the apricots. Mix all the ingredients in a stanless steel saucepan and bring slowly to the boil. Simmer, uncovered. for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Pour into clean, warm jars and seal immediately.

Ingredients:
250 grams half-ripe mangoes (i.e. still firm)
2 ripe mangoes
10 tblsp sugar
2 inch piece ginger
12 gloves garlic
1/2 tsp salt
3 tsp chilli powder
1/2 cup vinegar

Preparation Method:
1. Peel and cube the half-ripe mangoes. Mix with the sugar and set aside for an hour.
2. Peel and chop the ripe mangoes. Grind the ginger and garlic with a little of the vinegar. Add to the sugared mangoes along with the salt and chilli powder.
3. Cook over a low heat until the cubes mangoes are tender.
4. Cool and bottle

-Sandyj

Back
Top Bottom