Andy's Pad Thai

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
PAD THAI

3 Tb Tamarind Paste
¾ C Boili ng Water
¼ C Fish Sauce
1½ Tb Rice Vinegar
¼ C Sugar
½ tsp Cayenne Pepper
2 Tb Oil
8 Oz Dried Rice Stick Noodles
2 Eggs
⅛ tsp Salt
1 Tb Oil
1 Lb Shrimp (26-30), peeled and cleaned
⅛ tsp Salt
2 Tb Oil
1 tsp Garlic, minced
3 Tb Shallot, minced
2 Tb Dried Shrimp, chopped
2 Tb Thai Salted Preserved Radish, chopped
6 Tb Dry Roasted Unsalted Peanuts
6 Oz Bean Sprouts
5 Scallions, green only, sliced

Combine the tamarind and boiling water to rehydrate the tamarind paste for 20 minutes then push it through a fine sieve.

Cover the noodles with hot tap water in a large bowl; soak until softened, and limp but not fully tender, about 20 minutes. Drain the noodles and set aside.

Add the fish sauce, vinegar, sugar, cayenne, and the oil to the tamarind & set it aside.

Beat the eggs and ⅛ teaspoon of the salt in a small bowl; set aside.

Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a wok over high heat until just beginning to smoke. Add the shrimp and sprinkle with the teaspoon salt; cook, tossing occasionally, until the shrimp are opaque and browned around the edges. Transfer the shrimp to a plate and set aside.

Add more oil to the wok; add the garlic and shallot, set the wok over medium heat, and cook, stirring constantly, until light golden brown.

Add the eggs and stir vigorously until scrambled and barely moist, about 20 seconds.

Add the noodles, dried shrimp and salted radish; toss with 2 wooden spoons to combine.

Pour the sauce over the noodles, increase the heat to high, and cook, tossing constantly, until the noodles are evenly coated.

Add ¼ cup peanuts, bean sprouts, all but ¼ cup scallions, and cooked shrimp; continue to cook, tossing constantly, until the noodles are tender.

Transfer the noodles to a serving platter, sprinkle with the remaining scallions, 2 tablespoons of peanuts; serve immediately, passing lime wedges separately.

That looks great, Andy - almost identical to the recipe I have tweaked through the years, with the small amount of rice vinegar, and the salted radish and dried shrimp, which are some essential ingredients, often left out. If I didn't already have Mexican planned for tomorrow, I'd I have to make some! Sometime soon...

Back
Top Bottom