Any Jambalaya fans here?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rob Babcock

Head Chef
Just wondering. I haven't noticed any recipes posted here (maybe they're under rice?). I used to run a restaurant where I did a Cajun buffet every Tues for a month & a half, ending on Fat Tuesday. One of my most popular dishes was Jambalaya.

Okay, one of my many most popular dishes! 8)

You could do a search of the site. May be in Pasta, rice or Fish seafood areas.

Jambalaya, ettoufe' and gumbo are staples here, along with Mexican, southern, south-western and Native American dishes!!! My family likes it when I mix the rice into the gumbo. I never make less then 4 gallons worth at a time, I freeze it for the kids to take with them when they come to visit. Hubby being a truck driver, likes to take it with him on the road. Problem is--I need to send more with him as the other drivers all come running when they find out he has some of my gumbo with him!!

Rob:

Try this one. It's one of my favorites.

CHICKEN & TASSO JAMBALAYA

Seasoning Mix:

2 Bay Leaves
2 tsp Cayenne
1.5 tsp Salt
1.5 tsp White Pepper
1 tsp Dry Thyme
.5 tsp Black Pepper
.25 tsp Rubbed Sage

For the Recipe:

2 Tb Unsalted Butter
.5 Lb Chopped Tasso
.75 Lb Chicken, cut into bite-size pieces
1 C Onions, chopped, in all
1 C Celery, chopped, in all
1 C Green Bell Peppers, chopped, in all
1 Tb Garlic, minced
.5 C Tomato Sauce
1 C Tomatoes, peeled & chopped
2.5 C Chicken Stock
1.5 C Rice, converted

Preheat the oven to 350F.

Combine the seasoning mix ingredients in a small bowl.

Melt the butter in a 3.5-quart saucepan over high heat. Add the tasso and cook, stirring frequently, until the meat starts to brown, about 3 minutes.

Add the chicken and continue cooking, stirring frequently and scraping the pan bottom well, until the chicken is browned, about 3 to 5 minutes.

Stir in the seasonings, half of the onions, celery, and bell peppers, and all the garlic.

Continue to cook the mixture, stirring almost constantly and scraping the pan bottom as needed, until the vegetables start to get tender, about 5 to 8 minutes.

Stir in the tomato sauce and cook, stirring often, for 1 minute.

Stir in the remaining onions, celery, and bell peppers and the tomatoes.

Remove from the heat, stir in the stock and rice. Transfer the mixture to an ungreased 13 x 9-inch baking pan and bake, uncovered, until the rice is tender, about 60-75 minutes.

Remove from the oven, stir, and discard the bay leaves. Let it sit for 5 minutes.

Serve with Creole Sauce.

CREOLE SAUCE

Seasoning Mix:

2 Bay Leaves
.75 tsp Dry Oregano
.5 tsp Salt
.5 tsp White Pepper
.5 tsp Cayenne
.5 tsp Paprika
.5 tsp Black Pepper
.5tsp Dry Thyme
.5 tsp Dry Basil

For the Recipe:

4 Tb Unsalted Butter
1 C Tomato, peeled & chopped
.75 C Onion, chopped
.75 C Celery, chopped
.75 C Green Bell Pepper, chopped
1.5. tsp Garlic, minced
1.25 C Chicken Stock
1 C Tomato Sauce, canned
1 tsp Sugar
.5 tsp Tabasco Sauce

Seasoning Mix:

Combine the mix ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.

For the Recipe:

Melt the butter in a 12” skillet over medium heat.

Stir in the tomatoes, onions, celery, bell peppers, garlic and the seasoning mix. Stir thoroughly and sauté, stirring occasionally, until the onions are transparent, about 5 minutes.

Stir in the stock, tomato sauce, sugar and Tabasco sauce. Bring to a boil and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.

Remove bay leaves before serving.

I just found this recipe so haven't tried it yet but will be soon! Anything I can cook while I'm at work is always a plus!

Slow Cooker Jambalaya

1 pound skinless, bonelesschicken breast halves - cut into 1 inch cubes
1 pound andouille sausage, sliced
1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
1 large onion, chopped
1 large green bell pepper, chopped
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chicken broth
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 teaspoons dried parsley
2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 pound frozen cooked shrimp without tails
Cooked rice

Directions
1 In a slow cooker, mix the chicken, sausage, tomatoes
with juice, onion, green bell pepper, celery, and broth.
Season with oregano, parsley, Cajun seasoning, cayenne
pepper, and thyme.

2 Cover, and cook 7 to 8 hours on Low, or 3 to 4 hours on
High. Stir in the shrimp during the last 30 minutes of cook time.

3 Serve the slow cooker mixture over the cooked rice.

I'll hunt up one of my recipes when I get a chance. My problem at the moment is that I'm hungry for jambalaya, but I'd need to buy about 8 spices that I'm out of- kind of a pita. Paul Prudhomme's "Season Magic" mixes work very well as a standalone seasoning for many Cajun foods, but I finished off my can and it's hard to find where I live.

There's not a spec of snow on the ground here, and up til today it was in the 50's! :LOL: Even so, late winter is always the time I get hungry for spicy & cajun foods.

I love jambalya but don't make it very often. I won a jambalya contest a couple of years ago that the radio station I listen to did. I'll have to find the recipe & post it. This may be a good excuse for me to make some this weekend! :D

Here's mine...

1lb andouille or Cajun-style sausage
4 skinned & boned chicken breast halves
2Tbsp peanut oil
1C chopped cooked ham
2tsp Cajun seasoning
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 medium sized green bell pepper, chopped
1/2C chopped celery
3 cloves garlic, minced
1(14 1/2 ounce)can Cajun style stewed tomatoes, undrained
1/2C chicken broth
1Tbsp worstershire sause
1/2tsp hot sauce(or more to taste)
3C hot cooked rice
1C finely chopped green onions

Cut sausage into 1/2 inch slices; cut chicken into 1/2 inch pieces.

Cook causage in oil in a large Dutch oven over medium high heat 3 minutes or until browned. Add chicken & cook, stirring constantly, 3 minutes or until browned.

Stir in ham & cook until heated through. Remove meat mixture, reserving 1Tbsp drippings in Dutch oven. Return meat to pan; stir in Cajun seasoning & next 5 ingredients*. Cook 5 minutes, stirring mixture constantly.

Stir in chicken broth & remaining ingredients; cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes or until heated throughly.

Makes 6 servings.

*I like to throw in some frozen cooked shrimp(thawed)at this point. I don't know how much I add though. :?

A couple of t-shirts, a grill brush, a cooler-seat thingy(it's hard to describe but it"s like a large insulated bag that folds out to sit on), & 4 tickets to see Aeros(it's a "gymanstics" troop that does things like Cirqu De Sole...I knoe I spelled that wrong :oops: sorry). I just did it on a dare from my hubby & a couple of friends so I was rather shocked when a guy from the radio station called & said I had won & they wanted me to bring a batch of the jambalya to the station & be on air with them. They got 250 recipe entries & thought mine looked the best. That was one dare I was glad I took! :LOL:

I thought so too, hubby & my parents were very proud of me! I never win anything so you can imagine my shock when I won this! :LOL: Oh, I almost forgot, I also got a $50 gift certificate to one of the grocery stores here.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom