"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-25-2007, 06:10 PM   #21
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2
hmmmm i like indian food. try butter chicken
__________________
https://www.linkdumptube.com
daabomb2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 09:53 AM   #22
Assistant Cook
 
Lady Shai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Seattle, WA in the lovely Pacific NorthWest :)
Posts: 5
I like the rogan josh, and the coconut currys. Lamb rogan Josh is nice and smooth, I know you said no lamb, but they have made it with chicken that I have seen at a few restaurants :)

I also get my Indian food very mild...my tummy doesn't do well with the spicy dishes like Vindaloo (althought my DH can eat it til the end of time as long as he has his naan :P Being British as well, it is a national pastime for he and the lads to eat good Indian food hehe) Also, the basmati rice is usually fantastic... try a touch of tamarind sauce too! Very different but oh so good, like a sweet fruity chili suace...not real sure how to describe it It is REALLY yummy, especially with meat samosas or chicken pakora.... sigh now I need to get some! LOL
I am a samosa and pakora addict lol
__________________
Shai
Lady Shai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 08:48 AM   #23
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Holyhead Anglesey
Posts: 17
When you have eaten your main have Kulfi for desert (you can make this easily and is gorgeous)
markgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 09:44 AM   #24
Head Chef
 
Toots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 1,580
I've been buying the Maya Kaimal brand curry sauces and making pretty good Indian at home. i've used the Tikka sauce and the Tamarind curry with good results.

Markgill, how do you make the Kulfi dessert?
Toots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 09:50 AM   #25
Sous Chef
 
SurvivorGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Canada Eh! {Muahaha! ;)}
Posts: 861
Indian food is one of my absolute favourites!! parkoras, dal, naan, rita, curries! mmmlove it all!
infact yesterday i recieved a vegetarian indian cookbook all of the food looks authentic and whatnot and i am very phyced to the recipes!!
__________________
It's laisez-faire, I don't even give a care.
Let's make Friday part of the weekend and give every new baby a chocolate eclair.

Live Strong
SurvivorGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 11:17 AM   #26
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Raton,NM, USA
Posts: 4,572
Alot of Indian restaurants do a lunch buffet during the week that way you get to try a whole bunch of dishes all at once then you can figure out what you like best by tasting a little bit of alot them.
jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 04:24 AM   #27
Sous Chef
 
BBQ Mikey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 750
I enjoy Thai Noodles, some indian guy I work with turned me onto them, dunno if its indian food, but theyre good.
__________________
"wok-a wok-a"
BBQ Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 07:40 AM   #28
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Galena, IL
Posts: 7,970
Love, love, love Indian food; and there is none available within hours of where I live. Luckily I have a Pakastani friend who lives in Chicago but weekends here. They introduced me to "Kitchens of India' foods that I can just nuke and make up some basmati rice. I do make my own curries and tandoori, but the numbers of spices needed to make the various dishes taste right is just too much to have on hand if you only cook it a few times a year, so I love this "find".

I agree that the lunch buffets at many Indian restaurants are a great thing. I'm really not a buffet fan in general, but Indian foods take well to it, and it is a fun way to experiment so that you know what you will like if you have to individually order the next time you go out.

Indian food can also be very good for vegetarians. A couple of buffets I've been to over the years will have two lines, meat and meat-less, or will label the meat-less dishes as such.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 03:19 AM   #29
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Holyhead Anglesey
Posts: 17
Here is one I found on the net. I will find the one I use for you if I can get to my books.

allrecipes.com/recipe/kulfi/detail.aspx
markgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 02:58 PM   #30
Cook
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 58
Indian food

Go for a Thali which will allow you to taste many dishes! Chicken Makhani is wonderful! It is boneless tandoori chicken in a creamy sauce YUMMO! Dal is usually served as well as nan or paratha.

I love garlic nan and onion kulcha. I love Indian food and often cook it. I have traveled throughout the many regions of India on business and the food is wonderful every where, especially the dosa and idli in Kerela!
__________________
Mary-Anne
SF Bay Area
shantihhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 09:31 AM   #31
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Galena, IL
Posts: 7,970
Boneless tandoori chicken in a creamy sauce. Tell me more!!!!
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 02:52 PM   #32
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Galena, IL
Posts: 7,970
By the way, BBQ, yes, Thai food often does have a heavy Indian influence. As does Indonesian, some Hawaiian, etc. Indians in the 1800s moved across the globe in search of employment. So much of New Zealand, Australia, Hawaii, Southeast Asia, etc, have a cuisine with that lovely influence. When I lived in Hawaii, one of my favorite things to do was Thursday afternoons at the Willows. The dish to order was Hawaiian curry. It was rather blatantly Indian influenced, although it was considered a "native" dish. I think it was Indian via Indonesia. We loved it. There were some lovely older ladies who would wander around with guitars and ukuleles. I learned many years ago that it was lost, but my goodness, what fun it was. I would put on my best muumuu, and a straw hat with a lei on it. So, yes, Indian food has made its influence known around the world.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 12:47 AM   #33
Cook
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 58
Yes the Indian diaspora has greatly affectly many of thr world's cuisines in Africa, West Indies, Malaysia and on and on.

What I love is desi Chinese! That is the best Chinese ever. When I am in Delhi I always eat out this special food. The recipes are Chinese but with Indian spices and ingredients.

Most common is Chicken or veg Manchurian.
__________________
Mary-Anne
SF Bay Area
shantihhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 05:44 AM   #34
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 863
Helo

I think it would all be good.
Anyway, the restuarant will be used to people requesting unspicey food. Just ask them, which dishes are not spicey.

Me
Mel! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 05:10 PM   #35
Cook
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Mikey
I enjoy Thai Noodles, some indian guy I work with turned me onto them, dunno if its indian food, but theyre good.
Pad Thai, Pad Kee Mao etc. are Thai dishes but many Indians love Thai food!

Want to make them at home check out my recipes on my site-I am not selling anything just offering tried and true authentic Thai recipes. I have traveled all over Thailand during the last 20 years 30+ times and learn so much on each trip.

Thai Food Help and Information
__________________
Mary-Anne
SF Bay Area
shantihhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 05:16 PM   #36
Cook
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 58
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire
By the way, BBQ, yes, Thai food often does have a heavy Indian influence. As does Indonesian, some Hawaiian, etc. Indians in the 1800s moved across the globe in search of employment. So much of New Zealand, Australia, Hawaii, Southeast Asia, etc, have a cuisine with that lovely influence. When I lived in Hawaii, one of my favorite things to do was Thursday afternoons at the Willows. The dish to order was Hawaiian curry. It was rather blatantly Indian influenced, although it was considered a "native" dish. I think it was Indian via Indonesia. We loved it. There were some lovely older ladies who would wander around with guitars and ukuleles. I learned many years ago that it was lost, but my goodness, what fun it was. I would put on my best muumuu, and a straw hat with a lei on it. So, yes, Indian food has made its influence known around the world.
Thai curries have really nothing to do with Indian curries/masalas. Totally different ingredients.

Thai curries use chiles, kapi (shrimp paste), lemongrass, shallots, fish sauce, etc. Whereas Indian masalas utilize a wide compilation of both meat and weet spices.

Some southern Thai around Hat Yai (Muslim area) use more tumeric and are incluenced by the Malay curries.

Indian curries i Thailand yes i Indian restaurants like The Standard in Little India in Bangkok, but a Thai curry is a Thai curry. Some Thai curries are dry sans coconut milk. However many are familiar with the coconut milk curries. Only in S. India like Kerela do they use coconut milk in any curries.
__________________
Mary-Anne
SF Bay Area
shantihhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 10:44 AM   #37
Senior Cook
 
Billdolfski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Indiana
Posts: 244
Send a message via ICQ to Billdolfski Send a message via AIM to Billdolfski Send a message via MSN to Billdolfski Send a message via Yahoo to Billdolfski
Instead of making a new thread, I figured I'd just post in this one.

I've been eating Indian food as of late, and before I decide what it is I want to try to cook, I would like to keep experimenting with new dishes. So far I've had lamb vindaloo, lamb rogan josh and palak paneer, all of which I've liked.

Any suggestions of things I should try? A brief description would be appreciated.
__________________
If you don't like chicken fried steak, then I don't like you.
Billdolfski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 10:51 AM   #38
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 47,717
This is a delicious lentil dish. It's written for a pressure cooker but you don't need one. I just simmer until everything is tender.

Dal Makhani
2 Red Chile Peppers
1 Ginger Piece
2 Garilc
1 C Urad Saboot (whole black beans)
2 Tb Channe Ki Dal (split gram dal)
1 Tb Ghee or oil
1 1/2 tsp Salt
5 C Water
4 Tomatoes (14 oz. Can)
3 Tb Butter
1 Tb Kasoori Mehti (dry fennugreek leaf)
1/2 tsp Garam Masala
2 tsp Ketchup
1/2 C Milk (if needed)
1/2 C Cream
1/4 tsp Nutmeg

Soak the peppers in boiling water for 10 minutes.

Make a paste of the peppers, ginger and garlic in a food processor.

Wash and pick over the beans. Place them in a pressure cooker with the garlic, ginger, pepper paste and the tablespoon of ghee or oil, the salt and the water.

Bring the pressure cooker up to pressure and cook for 40 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.

Puree the tomatoes in a food processor and add them to the pressure cooker along with the butter, Kasoori Mehti, the Garam Masala and the ketchup. Simmer for 8-10 minutes stirring occasionally and mashing the beans slightly.

Add some milk if the mixture appears too thick.

Continue cooking to thicken.

Stir in the cream and nutmeg.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 02:22 PM   #39
Head Chef
 
Yakuta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,208
India just like other countries has a wide range of foods from South to North. Southern food uses bright spices with coconut and a lot of rice in their diet. Northern food is milder, creamier and prefer roti (wheat tortilla) in their diet.

If you would like to experiment with Indian food I would suggest trying a couple of things - One is more southern influenced and the other more northern.

Spicy Potatoes:

These Potatoes are delicious and eaten as a stuffing in Dosa but you can eat it just by themselves and inspired by Southern style of cooking

3 large potatoes (idaho are fine) boiled, peeled and cut into cubes
1 large onion cut into large cubes
3 cloves of garlic finely minced
1/2 tsp of salt and turmeric powder
1 tsp of lime juice
cilantro to garnish

For tempering
Oil
2 dry arabol chillies broken into small peices (discard the seeds)
1 small green chili
Handful of curry leaves
2 tsp of whole brown mustard seeds
2 tsp of whole cumin seeds
2 tsp of raw urad dal (optional)

In a pan add the oil. When the oil is super hot, throw in the curr leaves, red chillies and reduce the heat. Now add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds and dal. Next add the garlic and onions and cook it for a few minutes. Add the diced potaotes, turmeric, salt and lime juice. Stir carefully. Cover and let it cook on low for 15 minutes or so.

Garnish with cilantro and serve as a side or with roti bread (available in Indian stores)


Baingan ka Bharta

This is a northern dish and very popular in India.

1 large eggplant roasted : I place it in a foil, drizzle it with some canola oil, hit with some salt and close the foil and place it in an oven pan and let it roast until it's soft

Once the eggplant is cooked. Let it cool and then peel the charred skin and discard the seeds. Rough chop the eggplant (it will be mushy) and put it in a bowl and reserve.

Now you need the following:

1 small onion finely diced
2 medium tomatoes finely diced
3 cloves of garlic finely diced
2 tsp of cumin seeds
2 tsp of cumin and corrainder powder freshly ground (toast the seeds lightly and then powder it in a spice grinder)
salt to taste
1 tsp of paprika
1/2 tsp of turmeric
1/2 cup of yogurt
1 green chili
cilantro for garnish
1 tbsp of oil
1/2 cup of water


In a pan add oil and temper it with cumin seeds. Next add the onions and cook them until they are golden brown. Next add the garlic, chili and all the ground spices and tomatoes. Cook this until the tomatoes release their water and turn into a pulp. Next add the water (1/2 cup tap water) and reduce the temperature. Add the yogurt and stir it with the water to ensure it's not lumpy. The reason to add the water first is so that the yogurt does not curdle. If you add the cold yogurt directly to the spices it will curdle.

Now add the eggplan and cover and cook on low for 15 minutes or so. Garnish with cilantro and serve with roti

I will share a few recipes later for Chicken and a ground lamb/beef kabab preparation that is delicious. You can send me a PM if you are looking for specific recipes.
Yakuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 11:45 PM   #40
Cook
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 58
One of my favourite sites for Indian recipes with many instructional videos and phots is

ifood.tv | Food Video Recipe Community




Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakuta View Post
India just like other countries has a wide range of foods from South to North. Southern food uses bright spices with coconut and a lot of rice in their diet. Northern food is milder, creamier and prefer roti (wheat tortilla) in their diet.

If you would like to experiment with Indian food I would suggest trying a couple of things - One is more southern influenced and the other more northern.

Spicy Potatoes:

These Potatoes are delicious and eaten as a stuffing in Dosa but you can eat it just by themselves and inspired by Southern style of cooking

3 large potatoes (idaho are fine) boiled, peeled and cut into cubes
1 large onion cut into large cubes
3 cloves of garlic finely minced
1/2 tsp of salt and turmeric powder
1 tsp of lime juice
cilantro to garnish

For tempering
Oil
2 dry arabol chillies broken into small peices (discard the seeds)
1 small green chili
Handful of curry leaves
2 tsp of whole brown mustard seeds
2 tsp of whole cumin seeds
2 tsp of raw urad dal (optional)

In a pan add the oil. When the oil is super hot, throw in the curr leaves, red chillies and reduce the heat. Now add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds and dal. Next add the garlic and onions and cook it for a few minutes. Add the diced potaotes, turmeric, salt and lime juice. Stir carefully. Cover and let it cook on low for 15 minutes or so.

Garnish with cilantro and serve as a side or with roti bread (available in Indian stores)


Baingan ka Bharta

This is a northern dish and very popular in India.

1 large eggplant roasted : I place it in a foil, drizzle it with some canola oil, hit with some salt and close the foil and place it in an oven pan and let it roast until it's soft

Once the eggplant is cooked. Let it cool and then peel the charred skin and discard the seeds. Rough chop the eggplant (it will be mushy) and put it in a bowl and reserve.

Now you need the following:

1 small onion finely diced
2 medium tomatoes finely diced
3 cloves of garlic finely diced
2 tsp of cumin seeds
2 tsp of cumin and corrainder powder freshly ground (toast the seeds lightly and then powder it in a spice grinder)
salt to taste
1 tsp of paprika
1/2 tsp of turmeric
1/2 cup of yogurt
1 green chili
cilantro for garnish
1 tbsp of oil
1/2 cup of water


In a pan add oil and temper it with cumin seeds. Next add the onions and cook them until they are golden brown. Next add the garlic, chili and all the ground spices and tomatoes. Cook this until the tomatoes release their water and turn into a pulp. Next add the water (1/2 cup tap water) and reduce the temperature. Add the yogurt and stir it with the water to ensure it's not lumpy. The reason to add the water first is so that the yogurt does not curdle. If you add the cold yogurt directly to the spices it will curdle.

Now add the eggplan and cover and cook on low for 15 minutes or so. Garnish with cilantro and serve with roti

I will share a few recipes later for Chicken and a ground lamb/beef kabab preparation that is delicious. You can send me a PM if you are looking for specific recipes.
__________________
Mary-Anne
SF Bay Area
shantihhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.