Bamboo shoots from a can

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
I have eaten Chinese from ( either take out / or at the restaurant ) on the average of once a week for the past 30 + years. I also cook a Chinese based dish on the average of once a week. I have eaten at Chinese restaurants in more than half the states and in all the major cities I have visited over the years.
The one thing I notice when I compare the restaurant food to my own cooked food is that their Bamboo shoots don't have that ' Right out of the can' taste. Sure, ive had dishes where they cut up the bamboo shoots from those larger chunks you get at the Asian stores (usually soaking in water). Ive purchased those in the past, and obviously they dont have that canned taste. But the other dishes are clearly from a can. They have that typical perfect thin, rectangular shape.

Its not that Im offended by the canned flavor, as Im used to it, but I was wondering of they either do something special to them prior to cooking ( like soaking them in something or pre cooking them prior to adding them to the dish, or is it just the brand that they buy, which doesn't have that canned flavor. I've bought probably a dozen or so different brands of canned bamboo shoots over the years ( I do have my favorite , the cheapest one :) ) but Im always looking for a brand that doesn't have that distinctive flavor.

I've also bought the fresh chunked ones and cut them up, and they dont have that same flavor.

The baby corn and water chestnuts have a similar, but milder situation , so Im not sure if something is being done to them too prior to cooking.

Anyway, if this makes sense to someone and they know the answer , let me know. If it doesn't make sense to anyone , just chalk it off as me being crazy :wacko:

The recipe that I use for Hot and Sour soup says to drain them, cover with water by 2 inches in a small saucepan, bring just to a boil, then drain. The reason given is to remove any bitterness, but it gets rid of the canned taste too.

I've run across similar directions for water chestnuts, but don't remember the particulars or what recipe it was from. Just happened to have made the soup recently.

Last edited:
When I serve escargot (canned), all instructions invariably say to soak in several changes of water to get rid of the canned taste. I have done this and it works.

Larry, I too, get that 'canned' flavour from all you mentioned, baby corn, bamboo shoots and a bit from water chestnuts. Although I rarely eat out, I had noticed those flavours don't appear but I sorta thought perhaps as restaurants they had access to types I didn't.

In one meal I made the bamboo shoots were such a strong flavour of canned the meal was ruined for me. Nobody else seemed to really notice. :ermm:
It turned me off of them but now I will try soaking them - even up to a day ahead, if I can remember!

No, you are not crazy - your taste buds are fine!

When I use canned artichokes, I simmer them for a few minutes in water with lemon juice and a bay leaf. That seems to get rid of the canned flavor. You could try that with something you're using in your recipe, like garlic, ginger and chives.

Something that I found in an early Chinese CB of mine, was to SF the drained bamboo shoots, and other canned vegetables, for 1 min, then dump onto a paper towel on a plate, and blot the oil off. This definitely helps reduce the "canned taste". I usually try not use them, but occasionally, like when I made those fire noodles last week, I couldn't find any jicama or kohlrabi - my two favorite "crispy substitutions" when making Chinese and similar dishes.

Something that I found in an early Chinese CB of mine, was to SF the drained bamboo shoots, and other canned vegetables, for 1 min, then dump onto a paper towel on a plate, and blot the oil off. This definitely helps reduce the "canned taste". I usually try not use them, but occasionally, like when I made those fire noodles last week, I couldn't find any jicama or kohlrabi - my two favorite "crispy substitutions" when making Chinese and similar dishes.
What is SF?

I feel like we shouldn't have to guess ;)
So people shouldn't use very common abbreviation, such as SF, or MW, in case somebody might not know it? Or maybe somebody might think that MW means megawatt? What would be ok - c, tsp, tb, qt, gal, oz, g...I could go on with things that most of us use without thinking about them.

I figured out what SF was after thinking about it a bit. However, I have no idea what MW is. Nor all of us are up on shorthand speak.

MW = Microwave, and is often used in recipes, as a noun, or as a verb. As in - place in MW, and MW on 50% for 2 min. SF is often used in the same way - as a noun, as in a vegetarian SF, and, as I used it, describing the cooking method used.

MW = Microwave, and is often used in recipes, as a noun, or as a verb. As in - place in MW, and MW on 50% for 2 min. SF is often used in the same way - as a noun, as in a vegetarian SF, and, as I used it, describing the cooking method used.

You obviously use different recipes than me then, as I've never seen SF or MW used in a recipe. The words are always written out.

So people shouldn't use very common abbreviation, such as SF, or MW, in case somebody might not know it? Or maybe somebody might think that MW means megawatt? What would be ok - c, tsp, tb, qt, gal, oz, g...I could go on with things that most of us use without thinking about them.
SF is not a common abbreviation. It's hardly comparable to measurement abbreviations and I've never seen it, or MW, in a recipe. I really didn't expect that type of overreaction to a simple suggestion. Calm down and write whatever you want. Yeesh.

Last edited:
SF is not a common abbreviation. It's hardly comparable to measurement abbreviations and I've never seen it, or MW, in a recipe. I really didn't expect that type of overreaction to a simple suggestion. Calm down and write whatever you want. Yeesh.

I agree. They are not common abbreviations. I could only discern SF from the context of the post but even then it took a bit of brain work. Id never identify MW as an abbreviation at all.

Measurement abbreviations, on the other hand, are ages old and well understood.

ROFLMAO

You obviously use different recipes than me then, as I've never seen SF or MW used in a recipe. The words are always written out.

I agree. They are not common abbreviations. I could only discern SF from the context of the post but even then it took a bit of brain work. Id never identify MW as an abbreviation at all.

Measurement abbreviations, on the other hand, are ages old and well understood.

ROFLMAO

I agree. It did take a bit of re-reading before I figured out SF.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom