Bento Boxes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
PF, are you going to update us on Shrek's progress? I hope he's doing well, and you too!

I had an almost bento box success today.
Monday I was set on buying bento boxes for Trapper and he said no because he is retiring soon. I reasoned with him that he could use it while he was gone during the day after he retired, he said, naw.

So I took a 6x6x1 (5x5x1?) inch plastic container w/lid. On the diagonal I placed a romaine leaf to keep two items separate, put the tuna macaroni salad on that triangle side over the romaine, with tomato wedges to garnish. On the other triangle I put the quinoa pear pecan salad with apple wedges dipped in lemon to garnish.

He was so impressed he called to tell me so.

Sounds like a fantastic Bento Box! Bento Boxes are any container you put your lunch in, the Bento part is making it as attractive as possible. I just have a fetish for Japanese Boxes!

Shrek is doing fantastic, I figure he will be healed totally by Friday. We are working on reclaiming our summer back.:) Thanks for asking.

And you dear how are YOU doing? What are you and Shrek going to do with your summer?

I'm doing fine, just tired. We are on a deadline to get switched to electronic medication records at work and I have been spending an extra 2 hours a day just doing data entry. Has to be done by nurses.

As soon as I can get away from work, we are headed to Glacier National Park for a week of hiking and biking. We will be renting a small RV and just taking it easy.

I'm doing fine, just tired. We are on a deadline to get switched to electronic medication records at work and I have been spending an extra 2 hours a day just doing data entry. Has to be done by nurses.

As soon as I can get away from work, we are headed to Glacier National Park for a week of hiking and biking. We will be renting a small RV and just taking it easy.
You are a HARD worker!
I hope you get away soon and have a great time, thank you for sharing your plans. Don't forget your bento boxes on your trip.;)

I'm having trouble with rice for the Bento. Basically, my rice dries out. I've tried to freeze it with everything wrapped up tight and even to mold and freeze it, etc. Whether it is leftover from the fridge or frozen fresh, it tastes nothing like it does when fresh due to dryness. Ideas?

I'm having trouble with rice for the Bento. Basically, my rice dries out. I've tried to freeze it with everything wrapped up tight and even to mold and freeze it, etc. Whether it is leftover from the fridge or frozen fresh, it tastes nothing like it does when fresh due to dryness. Ideas?

Are you making Sushi Rice or just plain rice? Long grain or short grain? Also, I have found sticky rice works better in a bento, seems to hold hydration better. Hope that helps!:)

I make short grain, plain rice from the Asian market. It has a great taste, but dries out too fast. I'm unsure whether it is one of the varieties listed...

It would be sticky and hang together if it was. I was thinking making, Sushi Rice. (first link)

Do you keep it wrapped in plastic until ready to eat? Otherwise, a nice sauce for it.

Some rice help:

Japanese Basics: How to make Japanese-style plain rice and sushi rice | Just Hungry

How to: Freezing pre-portioned rice | Just Bento

It would be sticky and hang together if it was. I was thinking making, Sushi Rice. (first link)

Do you keep it wrapped in plastic until ready to eat? Otherwise, a nice sauce for it.

Some rice help:

Japanese Basics: How to make Japanese-style plain rice and sushi rice | Just Hungry

How to: Freezing pre-portioned rice | Just Bento

It molds up nicely and it is yummy when it is fresh. I do wrap it in plastic and have tried to freeze pre-portioned rice. It just tastes drier and less tasty when thawed. :glare:

It molds up nicely and it is yummy when it is fresh. I do wrap it in plastic and have tried to freeze pre-portioned rice. It just tastes drier and less tasty when thawed. :glare:

No help here. Very strange, I don't have that type of problem and there is no humidity to speak of here.

I sorry!

Attachments

• a sory.jpg
    a sory.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 61
I posted this in three places because I didn't know where best to catch the attention of those who might be interested and these books so quickly become "must pay for" books, however, I have noticed that Amazon cycles the freebies--about 3-4 months, so if you missed it, it may come back. Diningdownloads.com is what alerts me to these freebies.

Glad you were able to grab it, PF. Now I'm sitting on pins and needles *(very uncomfortable) waiting for recipes inspired by what's in that little book!

It is just as it states, basic sushi, which I have been making. Now, I have a sushi cookbook on the kindle.:chef:

Back
Top Bottom