Bento Boxes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the vote of confidence, Kathleen. I really enjoyed my lunch today and the staff look forward to see what I bring!

For tomorrow I mixed some leftover brown rice with mushrooms and the last of the shaved beef. I can heat this in the microwave there. I have some snow peas and carrots for munching, another mandarin, and a french vanilla greek yoghurt. Instead of having tea I think I will take a Crystal Lite water, not sure what flavour yet.

I think I am starting to see how making a meal "look good" helps make it taste better. When I was first going to see Dad I was grabbing a burger here, sub sandwich there, and not satisfied, nor was it good for my diet (or my stress levels). Taking time to carefully plan the lunch the night before and then pack it up and finally pull it all out and eat it, makes for a full experience. Thanks to all for getting me on this path!

Oh, and Your Ogreness, you don't have to worry about me and your caramel bar!

Tomorrow I am having a piece of rotisserie chicken, some macaroni and stewed tomatoes, a small piece of corn bread, and some refrigerator cucumber pickles. For a snack, I'll have a peach, because I have some fresh peaches that are simply delicious.

What is helping me most of all is to plan for color. Like I have green in the pickles, and red in the tomatoes, and yellow/orange in the peach. I'll have a banana for breakfast, and will seek to add purple/blue and tan/white to my day. I try not to plan around my protein, but plan the protein once I know what "colors" I'm taking. It sounds odd, but has made packing lunches so much easier for me. Plus...pretty! :)

Before, if I would plan around the "main" item, my lunches were more boring. A sandwich, chips, and maybe a piece of fruit. Or some baby carrots....which I do like. But now, baby carrots are packed in a nice way with a tiny container of ranch dressing and other items are packed with it.

It's late...I'm rambling. But you get the idea. Oh, and PF definitely needs to worry about me and her caramel bar! :LOL:

Memo to self: Buy case of caramel Milky Ways for Spork and Kathleen...bags of spinach for LP.

You've got it right, LB! Menu sounds really good. Feeling creative with whatever's in your frig, leftovers. I think I've said it before that a box lunch is home comfort, so enjoy your bento and your father's company. Best wishes & garnishes.

This thread almost makes me wish I had to pack a lunch and work on site...but then, I'd have to buy a new wardrobe to match the Bento box...I work in "dog clothes" (or my bathrobe).

CWS, I just take my lunch up to my Dad's care facility, but if/when he comes home, I have decided I am still going to Bento it at home. I mentioned earlier in the thread taking it outside to the little bench and having it there when he rests.

You can make a lunch the night before and pack it into whatever. Take care to pick things that are interesting for you. Then, whenever you take your lunch break, go to your fridge, gather all your lunch items and find a place to sit an enjoy. Not at your desk, maybe not even the kitchen table! That way lunch is an experience, not just something to break up the day.

Wow, I'm only a few days into this and already making it a philosophy! :rolleyes:

You mean I can't sit on the couch and watch Canada A.M.? I'm done working for the day--worked last night and started at 3:30 a.m. today. Now the day is mine...but I think I need a nap!

CWS, I just take my lunch up to my Dad's care facility, but if/when he comes home, I have decided I am still going to Bento it at home. I mentioned earlier in the thread taking it outside to the little bench and having it there when he rests.

You can make a lunch the night before and pack it into whatever. Take care to pick things that are interesting for you. Then, whenever you take your lunch break, go to your fridge, gather all your lunch items and find a place to sit an enjoy. Not at your desk, maybe not even the kitchen table! That way lunch is an experience, not just something to break up the day.

Wow, I'm only a few days into this and already making it a philosophy! :rolleyes:

Lunch should be an event/special. I find that using chopsticks with my Bento makes me pay attention to what I am eating. No mindless eating while typing away. With my Bento, I am focused, no multi-tasking.

Have you stopped cooking fio-chan?

-Damien

No, I haven't! How are you, you've been gone so long! Still Bentoing, just nothing real fancy lately...It's been too hot to cook. I did make Japanese Hamburgers with Tonkatsu Sauce. And have been having fun mixing dipping sauces for gyozas. Chipotle and duck sauce with ginger, garlic and brown sugar was a hit.

Missed you, figured you got fricasseed in a fire or were just too busy with fires in NM.

No, I haven't! How are you, you've been gone so long! Still Bentoing, just nothing real fancy lately...It's been too hot to cook. I did make Japanese Hamburgers with Tonkatsu Sauce. And have been having fun mixing dipping sauces for gyozas. Chipotle and duck sauce with ginger, garlic and brown sugar was a hit.

Missed you, figured you got fricasseed in a fire or were just too busy with fires in NM.

I've been well, Thank you. Work has been a little crazy as we've been ramping up for a few major exercises/inspections coming up. On top of that the internet at work has been down after a pretty massive lightning storm a few weeks back... it's kept us busy.

Tonight I'm marinating chicken breast, onion and red bell pepper in some sesame oil and pre-made korean sweet and spicy pork and chicken bbq marinade.. I'll stir fry it all and serve over rice. Should be great.

-Damien

I've been well, Thank you. Work has been a little crazy as we've been ramping up for a few major exercises/inspections coming up. On top of that the internet at work has been down after a pretty massive lightning storm a few weeks back... it's kept us busy.

Tonight I'm marinating chicken breast, onion and red bell pepper in some sesame oil and pre-made korean sweet and spicy pork and chicken bbq marinade.. I'll stir fry it all and serve over rice. Should be great.

-Damien

Yum, sounds good. I'm making meatball sandwiches tonight with coleslaw and sweet potato fries.

I have pork and water chestnut gyozas planned for tomorrow with some of my
Asian Slaw.

I am glad you didn't get caught in the fires...

Last edited:
I have to take a picture to show you all my beautiful bento box. It "appeared" one day at my door.....never had a delivery from Japan before! A huge thank you to the giver - you know who you are!

I had to cook off some chicken breasts tonight for use later in the week for our youth group's service conference. I did up a couple for me and tomorrow will have thin sliced chicken on a sprout salad (rice wine vinegar & sesame dressing). I cut some carrots on the diagonal and julienned cucumber. It all fits beautifully in my box and will be great to eat at the Y after my workout!

I will be starting back to Bento-ing within another week. I've been taking advantage of having lunch time open to go out. Alas, within another week, the party is over. ;)

LP, I want to see your Bento kit! Pictures! Pictures!

LP, yay! The boxes are fun to assemble, aren't they? Damien, good to see you back from a crazy summer. That Los Alamos fire gave everyone a scare. Kath, I still can't believe that a fireman would come to your house and condemn your stove. I hope you're back up and running soon. Fi, yasuku=cheaply? Here's a pic of one of my favorite summertime bento -- cold buckwheat noodles.

img_1038773_0_c09fd41e73d2e30c32be4cd3f66ab86b.jpg

1. tsuyu dipping sauce, chilled
2. cold zaru soba, buckwheat noodles, shredded nori
3. shrimp and vegggie tempura, condiments for tsuyu
4. senbei, rice crackers
5. mugi cha, iced roasted barley tea

LP, yay! The boxes are fun to assemble, aren't they? Damien, good to see you back from a crazy summer. That Los Alamos fire gave everyone a scare. Kath, I still can't believe that a fireman would come to your house and condemn your stove. I hope you're back up and running soon. Fi, yasuku=cheaply? Here's a pic of one of my favorite summertime bento -- cold buckwheat noodles.

img_1038806_0_c09fd41e73d2e30c32be4cd3f66ab86b.jpg

1. tsuyu dipping sauce, chilled
2. cold zaru soba, buckwheat noodles, shredded nori
3. shrimp and vegggie tempura, condiments for tsuyu
4. senbei, rice crackers
5. mugi cha, iced roasted barley tea

yasui = cheap, could be...I see that there are many ways to say many things...I get very confused with learning.

And, shrimp and veggie tempura are NOT condiments for shoyu...just handi transport devices.:) Oh and it all looks oishii.

That's true, I like to soak 'em until they get soggy. :)

The condiments are actually in the little container. Traditionally for zaru soba -- wasabi paste, grated ginger, grated daikon radish, and green onions, to individual taste. Another condiment is mixing in a raw quail egg, but there's a love-it vs. hate-it camp for them. I'm in the latter. :yuk:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom