Bento Boxes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dang! I want that Rolling Stones lunchbox! Makes me want to tear into it come lunchtime.

It's fun putting it together in the morning, fun to eat, fun to reassemble emptied afterward. And, I too agree that it seems to encourage healthier eating. Less pre-made or processed stuff that just gets thrown into a paper bag. Less fastfood restaurants/cafeterias. More thought goes into its assembly = better food choices.

Don't worry at the start, Merlot, about fretting over what to put into it. The menus come easier as you build a repertoire of what works and what doesn't. As for the Japanese bento lunches I've posted, it's mostly simply because my marinara spaghetti lunches don't photograph as well.

Yay! Have fun, Merlot.

The RS lunchbox comes from amazon and is just 3 easy payments of... :whistling

My plan was actually grilled chicken, whole wheat pasta and marinara (how did you know!) I also bought some baby bella cheese. The fruit looked awful but I have some frozen peaches... I think I can work on it. :yum:

:huh: *starts to sweat* That amazon one click deal is a scary scary thing.

Thank you for the recommendation, I'll check it out!

Oh yeah, I got in lots of trouble with the Amazon one click...nori punches, Hello Kitty things...more bento boxes...

I buy a lot of stuff via Amazon. I've so far resisted signing up for the one-click purchasing. The standard method works fine for me with PayPal.

It actually comes in really handy for me regarding my kindle. I'm sure a few extra steps wouldn't hurt me but I do like it :)

Many of my best lunches have come from the inspiration at this blog: Just Bento | a healthy meal in a box: great bento recipes, tips, and more

She covers everything, right now her hubby is making Bentos, as she is recovering from cancer treatment. And I love the cookbook...it's available at Amazon...<duck>
I may have to subscribe...
Boxes made by "The Guy," otherwise known as Max.
As for signing up to Amazon's patented one-click, knowing me, I would click-click-click-click, dang-it-what's-wrong-with-this-stupid-computer?

It actually comes in really handy for me regarding my kindle. I'm sure a few extra steps wouldn't hurt me but I do like it :)

The Kindle is how I got onto the one-click...it does save time when I am on a spending spree.:angel:

I may have to subscribe...
Boxes made by "The Guy," otherwise known as Max.
As for signing up to Amazon's patented one-click, knowing me, I would click-click-click-click, dang-it-what's-wrong-with-this-stupid-computer?

I love her recipes made just for Bento...and Max's Bentos are great. The last meatball one is very tasty.

Amazon and I have had a long time relationship...:wacko:

yesterday's bento...
img_1100107_0_92391ecf7310e2a0b9abcac32d1a95e5.jpg

1. enoki mushroom, leek & rice vermicelli soup
2. Filipino pancit noodles
3. kinpira gobo, baked ham slices, dill pickle spear
4. celery & daikon with peanut butter
5. hot green tea

Soup is chicken & pork base with a couple drops of chilli infused sesame oil. There are always scraps of broken rice vermicelli in the bottom of a bag that's good filler for bento soups. The pancit is traditional chinese sausage & cabbage, with a few other veggies. Gobo is burdock root. Here's the wiki: Arctium lappa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. It's a bit tough and fibrous. Braising in soy sauce and mirin with carrots is a very common tsukemono dish; I often have a batch sitting in the frig.

A thing of beauty Spork! I love Filipino pancit, the ladies here treat us alot with their home cooking. They like feeding me because I will try anything they cook. At least try it and they know what they shouldn't tell me when I ask for a recipe.

Looks wonderful spork!

I love the enoki mushroom soup. In fact I always like enoki mushroom no matter how it's cooked.

Pancit is the basic stir-fried noodles of the Philippines, and every home kitchen will have their own recipe. Much like Japan's yakisoba. I bought a bag of the thicker type of pancit egg noodles in the refrigerated section of my local Asian market. Chinese sausage slices and cabbage are the most common, but any stir-fry ingredient is good. I think I added carrots sliced like the sausages and thin green pepper sliced like the cabbages. Sauce is variable, but usually contains soy sauce. I added oyster sauce and dash of worcestershire. The thing that distinguishes pancit is that it's almost always finished with the requisite tartness of Filipino cuisine, usually vinegar. I used lemon juice. I like it cold, as well as hot.

The enoki mushrooms look just like rice noodles. I think I'll play around with that combination some more...

I took a photo of raw gobo root, too.
img_1100605_0_9e3b414a4e21bceea6da2b3b92020d7c.jpg

Last edited:
No pictures today but I did pack two lettuce rolled chicken salad snacks (must work on rolling, it will be a mess to eat!) low calorie dark chocolate mousse with strawberries, pretzel crackers and a wedge of laughing cow herb and garlic cheese (for snack) and a hard boiled egg with 1 slice whole wheat bread for my breakfast. My other snack will be all the medicine I am taking for my bronchitis :ermm: I love my bento box, I have plans for turkey chili one day, and I am already looking forward to it. :)

I've been sick for several days. Some kind of tummy bug. I go between feeling better and feeling not-so-great again. I need to consider something for lunch, but nothing sounds great at this moment. :(

Back
Top Bottom