Bento Boxes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pretty! Do you need to season it, etc? Is there any special care to do for it to keep it food-safe?

I'm not sure, the label with is was in Japanese...I haven't learned any kanji or kata-kana, yet! I was hoping Spork would pop in and I could ask him.

I haven't been to this thread for a long time to don't know if this has been discovered yet or not but I wanted to share it!

Mickey Bento

You could probably do a lot of it with cardboard cutouts and a paring knife, but the recipes sound really good with or without Mickey Mouse! :)

The Mickey Bento is adorable. I really love the dark seeds with the rice form looks yummy!

I'd love to see something like it for Hello Kitty. :)

hi, PrincessFiona60, your bento box is really cute.
I'm japanese and I have seen many bento boxes, but I have never seen one like yours.

Do you know 'Umeboshi', plum pickles? They taste very sour, but some of them are added honey and taste sweet. Japanese eats rices with umeboshi.
If you make onigiri for bento, please try to put umeboshi in onigiri!
Umeboshi will protect foods from going bad.

I'm japanese and I have seen many bento boxes, but I have never seen one like yours.

Do you know 'Umeboshi', plum pickles? They taste very sour, but some of them are added honey and taste sweet. Japanese eats rices with umeboshi.

Thank you!
Yes, I have used umeboshi in my onigiri. Not all of them, but at least half. It is a nice flavor and I enjoy it. Most of my obento have been leftovers from meals I have prepared. I do try to make them attractive and of foods that do not readily go bad.

I am sure that my bento boxes are not traditional and would not be considered true obento, but they are fun to prepare.

I absolutely love when new members jump right into a thread where they know things. It's just one of the great things about DC and the new people here.

Thank you for welcoming me, a new member.:)

Oh, I thought that umeboshi isn't known much to non-japanese , and that maybe it tastes bad for them. I'm happy to hear that you have used it!

It is nice to make an obento by using leftovers, and I think it is easy and efficient.
Aren't there something like obento in the USA and other countries?

Thank you for welcoming me, a new member.:)

Oh, I thought that umeboshi isn't known much to non-japanese , and that maybe it tastes bad for them. I'm happy to hear that you have used it!

It is nice to make an obento by using leftovers, and I think it is easy and efficient.
Aren't there something like obento in the USA and other countries?

:) My God-Mother was Japanese and I grew up in her kitchen. Now with the Internet, it is possible to order Japanese and other Asian country foods. Our stores are also carrying more international foods and it makes it easier to try foods from other countries.

I'm sure other countries, including the USA all have some way to carry a meal to work and school. obento is just so beautiful and the food is good. I use my bento boxes for portion control so I do not overeat. I also like to do some decobento, but it's not as elegant or kawaii as many can achieve.

Forgive my poor use of Japanese, I am trying to learn.

dewa mata.

Welcome to DC! I love the ume-sui (?) vinegar (my bottle is at the other house, so my spelling probably wrong). I am very fond of it on steamed broccoli.

:) My God-Mother was Japanese and I grew up in her kitchen. Now with the Internet, it is possible to order Japanese and other Asian country foods. Our stores are also carrying more international foods and it makes it easier to try foods from other countries.

I'm sure other countries, including the USA all have some way to carry a meal to work and school. obento is just so beautiful and the food is good. I use my bento boxes for portion control so I do not overeat. I also like to do some decobento, but it's not as elegant or kawaii as many can achieve.

Forgive my poor use of Japanese, I am trying to learn.

dewa mata.

I see. So, you know much about japanese foods, don't you? Very nice :)
Today, it's easy to get foods from other coutries thanks to the Internet and quick transportation.

Maybe, cooks of japanese obento try to make it colourful and beatiful.
And it grew into decobento in the end? But I didn't know the name 'decobento'... it's very suitable one.

Oh...I can't control myself like you. If I feel hungry after eating obento, I often buy something to eat... You're great.

Your japanese is nice! I'm also poor at using English, forgive me if I use some wrong or impolite expression.

Welcome to DC! I love the ume-sui (?) vinegar (my bottle is at the other house, so my spelling probably wrong). I am very fond of it on steamed broccoli.

Thank you for welcoming me!
oh, I haven't eaten the ume-su, vinegar(I think your spelling is right). But it is a liquid from umeboshi? So, the taste of ume-su is similar to umeboshi?? And I can't imagine ume-su on steamed broccoli....I have to try it!

I think you know ume-su more than I :)

Come to think of it, I think I have a half-bottle of plum wine somewhere that's probably gone deliciously putrid by now... i forget... i've got liquor cached everywhere. It sounds like a great combination with steamed broccoli, or cauliflower. I'll have to play with it, thanks, CWS!

I'm not sure, the label with is was in Japanese...I haven't learned any kanji or kata-kana, yet! I was hoping Spork would pop in and I could ask him.

I have no idea, Fi, I've never seen a raw bamboo bento box. Only lacquered wood. My only suggestion is to search some sushi chefs' blogs about how to season it. Scrub it well after each use, rinse in vinegared water - that's what I do with my board, steamers and rolling mats. I would gorge myself with abandon if your bamboo box were packed with inarizushi, but I can't vouch for how well these sushi-poppers would safely keep for lunchtime.

I see that you're all set with a furoshiki.

Translated, furoshiki, is "bath sheet." If you open a bank account in Japan, you're more likely to receive a free gift of, not an electric toaster, but a silk-printed furoshiki - a large cloth, basically a square scarf. For basic bento, tie two diagonal ends around your lunchbox tightly. Tie the other diagonal ends loosely to make a carrying handle. There are other ways to wrap bento in furoshiki for carriage, including fancy ties for odd shapes like wine bottles or potluck containers.

I have no idea, Fi, I've never seen a raw bamboo bento box. Only lacquered wood. My only suggestion is to search some sushi chefs' blogs about how to season it. Scrub it well after each use, rinse in vinegared water - that's what I do with my board, steamers and rolling mats. I would gorge myself with abandon if your bamboo box were packed with inarizushi, but I can't vouch for how well these sushi-poppers would safely keep for lunchtime.

I see that you're all set with a furoshiki.

Translated, furoshiki, is "bath sheet." If you open a bank account in Japan, you're more likely to receive a free gift of, not an electric toaster, but a silk-printed furoshiki - a large cloth, basically a square scarf. For basic bento, tie two diagonal ends around your lunchbox tightly. Tie the other diagonal ends loosely to make a carrying handle. There are other ways to wrap bento in furoshiki for carriage, including fancy ties for odd shapes like wine bottles or potluck containers.

The box is a raw cedar, you can smell it! Thanks for the tip to check sushi chef blogs, although how you take care of your bamboo should work too!

We had "International" day at work today, I was able to wear my kimono and show off eating bento today. Made some great onigiri, pickled daikon and miso soup.

Good to see you back, Spork!

Back
Top Bottom