Bento Boxes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you for welcoming me!
oh, I haven't eaten the ume-su, vinegar(I think your spelling is right). But it is a liquid from umeboshi? So, the taste of ume-su is similar to umeboshi?? And I can't imagine ume-su on steamed broccoli....I have to try it!

I think you know ume-su more than I :)
It has the salty taste and is really good on steamed broccoli. I buy it at the health-food store. On a hot summer's day, I also like a bit of it mixed with seltzer. But, I'm weird that way--I like vinegars added to water or seltzer.

As much as I like vinegars, I can't take a straight shot of it. A lot of Japanese do, even daily, citing health benefit. Other than a splash of Tabasco in a Bloody Mary, and CWS's confession to weirdness, I rarely hear about vinegar as a libation.

As much as I like vinegars, I can't take a straight shot of it. A lot of Japanese do, even daily, citing health benefit. Other than a splash of Tabasco in a Bloody Mary, and CWS's confession to weirdness, I rarely hear about vinegar as a libation.

I drink cider vinegar, a bit diluted 1:2 with water and a touch of honey. I don't know about the health benefits, but it's refreshing and I like it.

I drink cider vinegar, a bit diluted 1:2 with water and a touch of honey. I don't know about the health benefits, but it's refreshing and I like it.
+1 I skip the honey. If the ACV you are drinking has mother in it, it is supposed to have health benefits. The article I read this week was for pets, but I imagine the benefits are the same whether you are a dog, cat, person, or an alien in charge of the Mothership.

Yes, mine has mother in it. I haven't noticed any benefits, except making the company I buy it from richer. But, I do love it.

img_1140971_0_e1f6144a64d71c50b854242e70c34f1f.jpg

The "deli section" of a basic Asian grocery store where men in suits bark, "Some of this, some of that, this and this, with rice. please hurry, I'm about to miss the next subway train to work." I hate to think there might be fleas in some of them bins...

I used to make this by the pint. 1/2 cider vinegar, 1/4 honey and 1/4 unsulfered molasses.
In either hot or cold water, add two tablespoons of the mix. I liked it warm in the winter and cold in the summer.
I'm going to mix some up for later today, thanks for the reminder.

I read it was an old fashioned remedy (I read it 35 years ago) for changing your already gray hair back to the original color when it grew in. It worked along with hair coloring.:LOL:

I used to make this by the pint. 1/2 cider vinegar, 1/4 honey and 1/4 unsulfered molasses.
In either hot or cold water, add two tablespoons of the mix. I liked it warm in the winter and cold in the summer.
I'm going to mix some up for later today, thanks for the reminder.

I read it was an old fashioned remedy (I read it 35 years ago) for changing your already gray hair back to the original color when it grew in. It worked along with hair coloring.:LOL:

My hair color is needing a touch up...:)

I wouldn't be able to drink that mixture. I cannot abide the taste of molasses.

Nope, family illness have taken precedence over preparation of food. As soon as I have Shrek all better, I will be able to start creating again.

How are you doing, Damien? :)

Nope, family illness have taken precedence over preparation of food. As soon as I have Shrek all better, I will be able to start creating again.

How are you doing, Damien? :)

Been well. I've been volunteering in my community for the local fire department so that has kept me busy. I have been smoking some foods trying to learn.. Smoked some salmon the other day.. Turned out great with a mild applewood smoke.

-Damien

Firefighter + Food Smoker = Anti-matter:LOL:

Love smoked salmon! Keep us posted on how it turns out!

And many thanks for your volunteer duties fighting fires!

Very well, Thank you. He's come a long way from a month ago, just healing up the surgical wound now. They couldn't close it for fear of infection. He had a ruptured appendix and ischemic (dead) large intestine that caused peritonitis. We go to the wound care clinic today to see how my nursing skills are doing.

Well.. I hope for a speedy recovery and a thumbs up from the nursing staff on your skills...

-Damien

Thanks!
His surgeon was well pleased, the wound is 75% smaller than it was 2 weeks ago. And we are down to one dressing change a day. I was told I have done splendid work...even if Shrek is grumpy.:)

PF, are you going to update us on Shrek's progress? I hope he's doing well, and you too!

I had an almost bento box success today.
Monday I was set on buying bento boxes for Trapper and he said no because he is retiring soon. I reasoned with him that he could use it while he was gone during the day after he retired, he said, naw.

So I took a 6x6x1 (5x5x1?) inch plastic container w/lid. On the diagonal I placed a romaine leaf to keep two items separate, put the tuna macaroni salad on that triangle side over the romaine, with tomato wedges to garnish. On the other triangle I put the quinoa pear pecan salad with apple wedges dipped in lemon to garnish.

He was so impressed he called to tell me so.

Back
Top Bottom