Bento Boxes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LOL! Spokane is at least 3.5 hours away and Seattle is about 12...Denver is 18 hours, if you don't stop for food or rest stops.:LOL:

I managed to get the last package of Bonito at The Good Food Store. So, I'll have some Dashi, no problem. Actually, I think I have everything except my real Bento box. Even my Bento cookbook showed up tonight.:chef:

Kuromi is so Kawaii!

:LOL: Such distance! But if you're visiting anyway, it's at least a nice bonus to grab things on the way/way back. Depending on how you look at it, can be nicer than knowing in theory you're close... but the reality with traffic, gas, etc, it's just a total bust (just can't justify driving over an hour one way in typical traffic to go to a store that might not even have what I need).

You sound like you have all the workings of some brilliant bento bounties to come (the alliteration was called for, I swear). Because my memory is probably a total fail right now (apologies!) - did you get the 'Just Bento' cookbook?

:LOL: Such distance! But if you're visiting anyway, it's at least a nice bonus to grab things on the way/way back. Depending on how you look at it, can be nicer than knowing in theory you're close... but the reality with traffic, gas, etc, it's just a total bust (just can't justify driving over an hour one way in typical traffic to go to a store that might not even have what I need).

You sound like you have all the workings of some brilliant bento bounties to come (the alliteration was called for, I swear). Because my memory is probably a total fail right now (apologies!) - did you get the 'Just Bento' cookbook?

Yes, "The Just Bento Cookbook," by Makiko Itoh. And I ordered some bigger cupcake silicone...I had ordered the 7/8" :LOL: They'll be good for wasabi or pickled ginger.

About two months ago, I dined for the first time at Luxe (I think that's the name, the ersatz step-up division of the Cheesecake Factory) and ordered a menu item described as "bento." It was terrible! Unpalatable. Insulting. One of those once in a decade restaurant experiences when you want to...

unleash Kuromi

About two months ago, I dined for the first time at Luxe (I think that's the name, the ersatz step-up division of the Cheesecake Factory) and ordered a menu item described as "bento." It was terrible! Unpalatable. Insulting. One of those once in a decade restaurant experiences when you want to...

unleash Kuromi

I have a Dragon or two up my sleeves...want to borrow them?

Too bad, glad it didn't happen to me and ruin any chance I would have had to enjoy Bento meals. Sorry it happened to you!

I was talking to my Dad and apparently I was influenced in the womb towards Japanese foods and culture. My Mom ate Sushi and other Japanese dishes in a Buddist Temple while she was pregnant with me. Mom's best friend and my Godmother were Japanese. I spent a lot of time with both in their households after I was born.

There is a large Japanese community in Brighton, Colorado.

I got a peeler that juliennes. I want to try some daikon...is there a recipe for it pickled of seasoned in some way?

I am also going to be partially cooking most vegetables, steaming or boiling? I'm talking about carrot slices, etc. I need to make them soft enough to eat easily and also so they don't cause a flare of my other condition that limits fresh veg and fruit.

I'm still not a champ at eating things like pickles, etc with my dentures.

Thanks for any help and suggestions.

I got a peeler that juliennes. I want to try some daikon...is there a recipe for it pickled of seasoned in some way?

I am also going to be partially cooking most vegetables, steaming or boiling? I'm talking about carrot slices, etc. I need to make them soft enough to eat easily and also so they don't cause a flare of my other condition that limits fresh veg and fruit.

I'm still not a champ at eating things like pickles, etc with my dentures.

Thanks for any help and suggestions.

I was thinking of trying this recipe only shredding the daikon into long strands like they have in the sushi restaurants. If you make it, please give a review!

I will tell you that the pressure cooker has made our veggies soft to the tooth but not mush. (I never thought I would ever suggest a pressure cooker to anyone.)

I keep looking forward to making an Asian style bento but, tomorrow, I am using up leftovers again. I have mini salmon cakes, mini potato pancakes, french-style string beans sprinkled with almonds, sugar-free chocolate pudding, a clementine, and a pro-biotic drink (also sugar-free.) It looks colorful enough and yummy enough for me to want my lunch! :)

I was thinking of trying this recipe only shredding the daikon into long strands like they have in the sushi restaurants. If you make it, please give a review!

I will tell you that the pressure cooker has made our veggies soft to the tooth but not mush. (I never thought I would ever suggest a pressure cooker to anyone.)

I keep looking forward to making an Asian style bento but, tomorrow, I am using up leftovers again. I have mini salmon cakes, mini potato pancakes, french-style string beans sprinkled with almonds, sugar-free chocolate pudding, a clementine, and a pro-biotic drink (also sugar-free.) It looks colorful enough and yummy enough for me to want my lunch! :)

Thanks for pointing out the Daikon recipe. Sounds really good. I got some Red Swiss Chard yesterday that I want to saute' and some salmon. Should be good with a rice ball. I also bought some miso, so I can make "instant" miso soup balls. I have plenty of tea at work.

Still trying to get the kitchen organized for making bento, I have stuff all over the place.

When I lived in Hawaii, one of our favorite things was to go for a bento box breakfast or lunch. Among other things it might have a tonkatsu (breaded pork cutlet), some sashii, always, always rice, pickled vegetables, etc. Because it was Hawaii, an ethnic mish-mash, a bento box might have other Asian foods in it as well as Japanese. But it would be a full meal, consisting of a few bites of this and that

I need better ideas, so I bought the Just Bento Cookbook by Makiko Itoh and found one called Bento Love by Kentaro Kobayashi. What I REALLY need are items that can be made a bit in advanced.

PF, do you make rice daily?

There is simply no way I'll be preparing anything in the AM. I'm lucky my shoes match prior to noon. :ermm:

I'm actually making rice about every three days. Makiko goes over rice and how to prepare ahead in her book. She prepares a lot ahead.

I make rice about every three days, Makiko talks in the book about preparing ahead and she makes rice ahead and freezes it.

Here is my new Bento Box:

28716-albums312-picture2547.jpg

28716-albums312-picture2548.jpg

28716-albums312-picture2549.jpg

28716-albums312-picture2550.jpg

Here is my first Bento meal:

Turkey Teriyaki with rice and Baby Bok Choy, Green onions and Carrots.

28716-albums312-picture2552.jpg

28716-albums312-picture2551.jpg

Oh my goodness! Where can I get all this stuff in England??? I must find out. I can't believe I have been missing this Bento thing all my life. :(
You have created a monster! Please keep this thread going and could you share some recipes please? Pretty please?? :kiss:

Oooh!! Just found Casabento.com It is a french company but they ship anywhere. Just click on the little flag on the left for languages and there is a currency changer further down. Wow! I'm on my way to Bento food. LOL

Oooh!! Just found Casabento.com It is a french company but they ship anywhere. Just click on the little flag on the left for languages and there is a currency changer further down. Wow! I'm on my way to Bento food. LOL

Amazon.com and JBox.com are where I've been shopping. I'm getting my ideas from JustBento.com.

PF, I’m impressed with your first box! I would probably set my chopsticks aside and start shoveling with a fork.

As I type, I have a container in the frig with sweet pickled peeled julienne of daikon radish and carrots. It’s like crunchy candy to me.

I’m also fond of daikon radish simmered in soup or flavoring broths. Few vegetables soften up so much while still retaining their shape. Rough mix for a basic sweet soy flavor is:
3 cups dashi stock
3 Tbsp light soy sauce, dark is okay but less appealing in color
2 Tbsp mirin, sweetened rice wine
2 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
strips of dried kombu seaweed, maybe 10 square inches
It’s not a soup, so to individual taste, keep it condensed.
As the mixture starts to heat, reconstitute kombu. Place peeled rounds of daikon, about 1-1/2 inches thick, on top. Bring to boil, reduce to simmer. Remove pieces after 20-40 minutes when very tender. Best served hot, but room temp is good, too.

A dollop of finely grated daikon is also a ubiquitous finish for many Japanese plates. It add a bit of radish’s signature peppery heat, and also some helpful liquid, to a dish.

Here is my first Bento meal:

Turkey Teriyaki with rice and Baby Bok Choy, Green onions and Carrots.

28716-albums312-picture2552.jpg

28716-albums312-picture2551.jpg

That looks wonderful! The boxes are simply beautiful!!!

I went to the Asian market to pick up a few things that I wanted/needed. This weekend, I shall be figuring out the recipes. One item that I picked up just for amusement: Quail eggs. Anyone have any ideas?

PF, I’m impressed with your first box! I would probably set my chopsticks aside and start shoveling with a fork.

As I type, I have a container in the frig with sweet pickled peeled julienne of daikon radish and carrots. It’s like crunchy candy to me.

I’m also fond of daikon radish simmered in soup or flavoring broths. Few vegetables soften up so much while still retaining their shape. Rough mix for a basic sweet soy flavor is:
3 cups dashi stock
3 Tbsp light soy sauce, dark is okay but less appealing in color
2 Tbsp mirin, sweetened rice wine
2 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
strips of dried kombu seaweed, maybe 10 square inches
It’s not a soup, so to individual taste, keep it condensed.
As the mixture starts to heat, reconstitute kombu. Place peeled rounds of daikon, about 1-1/2 inches thick, on top. Bring to boil, reduce to simmer. Remove pieces after 20-40 minutes when very tender. Best served hot, but room temp is good, too.

A dollop of finely grated daikon is also a ubiquitous finish for many Japanese plates. It add a bit of radish’s signature peppery heat, and also some helpful liquid, to a dish.

Thank you, Spork! I thopught it turned out great and it tasted good, too!
I've copied and pasted the Daikon hints and recipe. Thanks!

I'm still deciding what I will do for tomorrow's box.

That looks wonderful! The boxes are simply beautiful!!!

I went to the Asian market to pick up a few things that I wanted/needed. This weekend, I shall be figuring out the recipes. One item that I picked up just for amusement: Quail eggs. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks! I'm proud of it, the only thing left is the empty box!:pig: I had lots of comments on it at work and the dietitian was very impressed. It was suggested I cook for everyone at work!:)

Back
Top Bottom