Breezy Moroccan Swiss Chard with Chickpeas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BreezyCooking

Washing Up
It is based on an authentic Moroccan recipe that traditionally uses spinach. But it turned out so delicious, :chef:

Breezy Moroccan Swiss Chard with Chickpeas

1 bunch of Swiss Chard
1 14-oz. can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 large fresh tomato*, diced (or one 14-oz. can diced tomatoes)
2-3 cloves garlic, peeled & roughly chopped
Extra-virgin olive oil
Juice from ½ a fresh lemon
Approx. ¼ teaspoon coarse or sea salt
Approx. ½ teaspoon ground cumin
Approx. 1/3 cup of dry seasoned breadcrumbs
Crushed hot red pepper flakes to taste

Bring a pot of water (large enough to hold the chard) to a boil. Wash chard & separate the stems from the leaves. Slice stems into 1” pieces & coarsely chop the leaves. Boil stems for 5 minutes, then add chopped leaves & continue cooking for just 2-4 minutes more or until both stems & leaves are tender to taste. Drain in a colander.

Using the same pot, add a few dollops of extra-virgin olive oil to cover the pan bottom & saute the chopped garlic for just a couple of minutes (do NOT allow garlic to brown or burn – if it burns, which can happen quickly, start over). Stir in diced tomatoes, lemon juice, salt, & cumin. Add in rinsed & drained chickpeas & stir gently. Allow to simmer for minute or two. Gently fold in drained swiss chard, dry seasoned breadcrumbs, & crushed red pepper flakes to taste, & continue cooking until everything is heated through.

(* I used a large purple heirloom variety this time around)

Last edited by a moderator:
That sounds really good--we love Swiss chard. I usually cook it up in a skillet using olive oil, chopped hot chiles or chopped spicy vegetables, and bacon crumbles. I will definitely try your version!

Back
Top Bottom