Burrito

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
Would someone share their burrito recipe with me? I have seen different kits in the store. They do not taste as good as a restaurant. I would like something I can make here at home. Thanks

I've been making beef and bean burritos for a while now BUT I've swiched to using ground turkey instead of the beef for health reasons.

1/2 to 3/4 pound lean ground beef or ground turkey
3/4 cup finely chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 Tablespoon chili powder (good with a little chipotle chili powder mixed in)
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup salsa (we like Pace Medium; use whatever you love)
1 15 ounce can refried beans

6 - 8 flour tortillas, burrito size, warmed up
8 ounces shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1/2 cup salsa mixed with 1 - 8 ounce can of tomato sauce
Chopped fresh cilantro, optional

In a frying pan sprayed with PAM, brown the ground turkey or beef with the onions and garlic til crumbled and onions are softened. Drain. Stir in the spices and salt; cook for 2 minutes. Add in the entire can of refried beans and cook over medium heat til mixture is smooth; add in the salsa and stir to combine. Remove from heat.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a 13x9x2 inch baking pan, spread a few tablespoons of the salsa/tomato sauce mixture. Fill each warmed up tortilla with meat and bean mixture (a few tablespoons) and fold up or roll up. Place in pan and spoon remaining sauce over all. Cover and bake for 25 minutes; sprinkle with cheese and bake, uncovered, for another 10 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve.

If you are looking for something authentic this may not be it but I just made this and it was very good

I used boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into small peices. I marinated it with some garlic, lime juice, cilantro, some cumin powder, corrainder powder salt and black pepper for two hours.

I then cooked it in a pan with a little olive oil until it was cooked and mostly dry (not to runny)

I then made a salsa out of black beans (more beans than other items so it's chunky), finely diced garlic, jalapneo, diced red onions, diced tomatoes, cilantro, jalapeno and lime juice. I stirred it and let it also rest for 30 minutes or so for the flavors to marry.

I then made an avacado sauce - with avacados (I roughly mashed mine with a fork), garlic, lime juice and cilantro.

I used some pre packaged (Kraft) Mexican cheese blends.

I took a medium sized flour tortilla ( I don't like to make mine huge because my kids are young and they have little hands). I warmed it slightly in a fry pan. I then ladled all the fillings on it along with the cheese. I then folded it and pan fried it slightly (again with a little oil) so the edges would seal and the cheese would bind them and they would be easier to eat.

All the men in my house (my husband and two boys) loved it and asked for seconds. It was so moist and delicious that you did not need extra salsa or even sour cream with it. Ofcourse you can have it on the side it you'd like.

A lot of the herbs and aromatics repeat themselves in the marinade and then in the salsas (garlic, cilantro, lime) which makes the flavors more pungent and the burrito extremely flavorful. In my house we are not huge lovers of Spanish rice so I left that out.

valnaples

Thank you so much for responding so quickly. I didn't have to wait till tomorrow to know what I have to get at the store. Truly helps me. Thanks you and hope my family appreciates it and likes it. As you said t urkey would be healthier.

Yakuta

Wow, this really sounds good too! YOu just fixed this on your own? Wish I had that ability. Seems I always want recipe to make sure someone has tried before and likes it. this one made with chicken rather than beef. Must all try to eat right. What we should prac tice more in this household. If your children asked for seconds I bet that made you happy. Did you have seconds for them?

do you serve anything else with this? Seems everything in burrito. You have the beans in the burrito already. Just that I haven't had anything but regular meals and if my mother didn't make it guess I use her as example. But now they are getting interested in other kinds. Mentioned something about Indian food! Guess I better take more time and read recipes on here to see if they offer that.

Thank you for your response. I sincerely appreciate your time.

Hi In the Kitchen yes I do sometimes get adventurous and throw things together and it comes out wonderful. I guess that is the true joy of cooking because it's so creative.

Given I am Indian and the food we cook has a pretty elaborate set of spices and beans and other items (similar to Latin based cooking) I had everything I needed to put this together.

I was thrilled when my kids loved it and showed me a thumbs up. They are not picky kids since I have introduced them to everything. You don't find kids that like blue cheese but my older one does and how many kids like salad made with frizze :) I guess I am an odd ball when it comes to parenting since they eat what I cook I don't specifically cater to them.

I did not serve anything on the side except some sour cream because the burrito frankly did not need anything else it was a good meal on its own.

valnaples said:
I've been making beef and bean burritos for a while now BUT I've swiched to using ground turkey instead of the beef for health reasons.

1/2 to 3/4 pound lean ground beef or ground turkey
3/4 cup finely chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 Tablespoon chili powder (good with a little chipotle chili powder mixed in)
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup salsa (we like Pace Medium; use whatever you love)
1 15 ounce can refried beans

6 - 8 flour tortillas, burrito size, warmed up
8 ounces shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1/2 cup salsa mixed with 1 - 8 ounce can of tomato sauce
Chopped fresh cilantro, optional

In a frying pan sprayed with PAM, brown the ground turkey or beef with the onions and garlic til crumbled and onions are softened. Drain. Stir in the spices and salt; cook for 2 minutes. Add in the entire can of refried beans and cook over medium heat til mixture is smooth; add in the salsa and stir to combine. Remove from heat.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a 13x9x2 inch baking pan, spread a few tablespoons of the salsa/tomato sauce mixture. Fill each warmed up tortilla with meat and bean mixture (a few tablespoons) and fold up or roll up. Place in pan and spoon remaining sauce over all. Cover and bake for 25 minutes; sprinkle with cheese and bake, uncovered, for another 10 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve.

That is exactly how I make my burritos, except the cilantro, which we don't care for. I then serve them with lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream, and sliced avacados if I have them, mounded on the plate like a little salad.

These burrito dishes sound DEELISH. I am going to print these out to try, both of them sound wonderful.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom