Buying chilies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just curious, but where do people buy their dried/regular chilis for mexican dishes (talking about dishes that call for specific ones, not like poblanos, ect)? It seems that i can't find them at the local grocery store, I've considered buying them online...Anyone have experience with this?

You should have no problems finding a Latino grocery in your area.
Alternatively, check a super Walmart. The ones here are now carrying a nice
assortment of dried chilis in the Latino section.
Look for an Asian grocery too, the ones around here have great chili selections!
:)

I 2nd the "Super" Walmarts (Walmarts that contain full grocery stores). Ours has an entire aisle of nothing but Hispanic food items - there's pretty much nothing they don't carry for any type of Mexican dish you want to make. The dried chili & herb/spice section is fantastic, & the prices are extremely reasonable.

Penzey's or a hispanic market (supermercado). Occasionally I have to hit the supermercado for pepitas, too.

I buy mine at a local spanish market, not at the supermarket. Many supermarket chilies in this area are locally grown, and chilies need a drier climate. If you order them, or if you have a choice, Hatch chiles are always a good bet. I believe they are available online.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom