Cabbage rolls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

babyhuggies

Senior Cook
here is my version of cabbage rolls. Sorry it has taken so long to post this,but just not in the holiday spirit---think i my be going to the venting thread after this:( . anyway....
i make alot...but it is so basic...that the amounts can be adjusted to whatever you want.

i head of cabbage~i cut out the core as much as i can, boil it in water with vinegar until soft and leafs start to fall off.
for every 1 pound of ground beef i use 1 egg, 1 cup of rice(uncooked) 1/2 cup milk,salt& pepper to your liking,1/2 onion.sometimes i toss in a bit of worchestisre sauce maybe some celery salt-just to jazz it it up a bit.
for the sauce i use diced tomatoes,tomatoe sauce(sometimes try and kick it up a bit by using the mexican stewed tomatoes) this time i made just tossed in a pinch of cayane pepper~i find sometimes it can get a little bland with just tomatoes.

then cook--i like to cook them for a long time and always better the next day.

any questions just ask :)

Mmmmm cabbage rolls. Thanks for the recipe. I've been wanting to try making this. My friend's dad used to put about half hamburger and half italian sausage in his.

Thanks babyhuggies, this is pretty close to mine as well (and I think I'm the one who asked you to post this so thanks!) except I use buckwheat and barley in my filling and also some side pork instead of ground beef.

Here is a "cabbage roll" recipe that sidesteps making the rolls (which I do love), but gives all the flavor of that comfort food. This goes together really easily--and I am now remembering that I have a cabbage on the counter and think this might be for dinner.

CABBAGE ROLL CASSEROLE
1-1 1/2 lb. ground beef or lamb
2 medium onions, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 14 oz can tomato sauce
1 can water
1/2 C uncooked rice
4 C cabbage, shredded
sour cream
Brown meeat, onions, and garlic. Drain. Add tomato sauce, water and salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Stir in rice and cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Place 2/3 of the cabbage in a greased baking dish and cover with half the rice mixture. Repeat layers. Cover and bake in 350 oven for 1 hour. Serve with sour cream. Serves 4-6.

Thanks for posting the recipe.....I will do this one for sure as I love cabbage!!
Probably will have to leave out the rice or most of it...as I have to watch my carb intake...But the Cayenne is a must!! Wrochestershire too! The diced tomato works for me as well ....as I can't stand 'canned' tomato sauce!
Maybe deer meat grind...cajun seasoning...man my creative juices are flowing!

Merry Christmas!

Back
Top Bottom