Carne Asada REC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllenOK

Executive Chef
Saturday, I pulled this (it may take a few minutes to load) recipe from one of my favorite websites. I took it in to work, and made a double batch of the marinade, and marinated several pounds of par-cooked beef that had been cut into cubes. Sunday, I drained and saved the marinade. I seared the meat in a very hot pan, then added the marinade and reduced it down until it was nice and thick. I served this over Spanish Rice for Sunday Brunch. It was great!

I'm now making a smaller version at home today, using about 2 lbs of round steak I have cut into stew meat.

Once the grilling season kicks back up, I'll probably actually get a flank steak or some skirt steak and grill those up. Of course, I could just broil it.

Allen, that is a very good site to visit. I'd been looking for the A & P spanish bar cake and so glad you mentioned that site. Lots of other really good stuff there, too. Thanks a bunch!

Ok, after I cut the recipe in half, marinated the beef all day, and then cooked it a little while ago, here's the results:

I used a round steak that I had cut into cubes. I drained the marinade (so I thought), and poured the beef into a piping-hot cast iron skillet that I had put some oil into. Obviously, I didn't get all the marinade out, as I had to pour the liquid out to get the beef to caramelize. Also, after the beef had browned, and I poured in the marinade to reduce it into a sauce, I realized I had way to much oil in the pan. I'm going to reduce the amount of oil I use in the marinade next time, and probably won't add quite so much to the pan (I had an oddly-shaped bottle of oil, and it's almost full, so it's hard to control right now).

It's good. It's also different. I might add more cumin and chili powder to the marinade as well.

Back
Top Bottom