Charlie D's Ukrainian Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm sorry, I meant one whole head.

P.S. I just want to mention that all the ingredients are approximate. You can add salary, or all spice, or whole peppercorn instead of chilly flakes. More or less pepper. You can add capers, if you like.

Forshmack, a.k.a. chopped hearing.

1 whole hearing deboned and filet
1 egg, hard boiled
1 small onion
1 small white roll
1 small sour apple (if it is not too sour it is ok, just do not use anything overly sweet)
2-3 table spoons oil, preferably corn
Vinegar

Unlike the olden days in Russia or Ukraine, there is no need to soak the hearing, it is not that salty. It is still necessary to soak the bread in the vinegar. Mostly to add that specific vinegary taste.
It is the best to use meat grinder, but food processor would also work. Grind
The fish, onion, apple and bread. If using meat grinder make sure to alternate what you are grinding then it mixes better in the end. If using food processor do not over process, you still want to have texture. It should be the consistency of a ground meat that will be used for a hamburger.
Add couple tablespoons of oil, mix well. Let it rest, even chilled so the flavors would intermarry. Tastes the best on second or even third day. Serve it as Hors D'oeuvres. Spread it on the piece of bread; use it as a side for the boiled or baked potato.

Napoleon

I tried to post this in one of the old Napoleon threads, I hate opening new threads, but the site would not let me do it, so I am adding this to my thread, though this is definitely not Ukrainian.

I will need your help folks. I would like to give this recipe who is Major in English, but seriously minor in cooking. So I know that long before she starts making this she will criticize my English skills. I do not mind, she is a longtime friend and a very good person.:) I just need to make the recipe understandable for somebody who cannot even cook. Please tell me what corrections to make.

Napoleon.
Ingredients:
5 – Eggs
5 – cups milk (or non-dairy creamer such as Coffee Rich if milk is a problem/allergy)
5 – Table spoons flour
5 – Table spoons sugar
1 – Stick butter (or margarine)
1 or 2 - table spoon vanilla
1 package of Pepperidge Farm pastry dough (store bought)
Grated Chocolate or whip cream for decorating (optional)
Directions:
Dough. There are couple of options, depending how thick you like the baked layers to be, you can cut the defrosted dough into 6 pieces, roll it out thin and bake or bake as is. I like the dough to be thick, so I do not roll it out thin and bake as is. It is very important to pock the dough with fork all over or use pizza roller (the one with spikes). It will help with baking it evenly. Cut the ends of the baked sheets evenly; do Not discard the leftover crumbs, you can use them as a topping.
Cream (or is it called frosting?). Put 4 cups of milk, 1 butter stick, all the sugar and vanilla into a pot. Bring to a boil at the medium heat. You will need to whisk or stir it periodically until it starts boiling. While the mixture is heating up take the rest of the milk (1 cup) + 5 eggs + 5 t. spoons flour mix it all together. Make sure there are no lumps. Slowly add/pour the mixture into the pot, constantly mixing. The mixture should come to a boil, turn down the heat, cook slowly until thickens, constantly stirring or whisking. If you like the cake really moist you can spread ready mixture when it is hot. I do not like it moist, prefer the cake to be still a bit crunchy when you bite into it, so I usually let it cool and spread the cream right before diner. You’ll have to experiment to see which way you like better. You can prebake and premade the cream a day or eve two ahead. But I have to say it taste better when fresh. If you like lemon or maybe even some other flavor you can add along with vanilla.
The recipe could be doubled, tripled or even quadruple (my favorite one, really tall).

I use grated chocolate along with crushed trimmings of the baked layers to sprinkle on the top of the cake, you can use whip cream if you like.

There are some minor typos, Charlie, but to me, an admitted non-baker, it was quite understandable. Sounds yummy!

CharlieD said:
Can you please, point out the typos. Thank you.

Will try tomorrow, Charlie! Others may be able to help before then. I have to go to bed now.

Here you go Charlie, you did a great job!:) I highlighted two phrases for you to change if you like or you can use your phrasing. I fixed your typos and swapped a couple of words for clarity. Otherwise, I didn't change it! Oh and I stole the recipe for my use...

Napoleon.
Ingredients:
5 – Eggs
5 – cups milk (or non-dairy creamer such as Coffee Rich if milk is a problem/allergy)
5 – Tablespoons flour
5 – Tablespoons sugar
1 – Stick butter (or margarine)
1 or 2 - tablespoons vanilla
1 package of Pepperidge Farm pastry dough (Puff Pastry)(store bought)
Grated Chocolate or whip cream for decorating (optional)
Directions:
Dough. There are couple of options, depending how thick you like the baked layers to be, you can cut the defrosted dough into 6 pieces, roll it out thin and bake or bake as is. I like the dough to be thick, so I do not roll it out thin and bake as is. It is very important to poke the dough with fork all over or use pizza roller (the one with spikes). It will help with baking it evenly. Cut the ends of the baked sheets evenly; do Not discard the leftover crumbs, you can use them as a topping.
Cream (We called it Bavarian Cream in the bakery or is it called frosting?). Put 4 cups of milk, 1 stick of butter, all the sugar and vanilla into a pot. Bring to a boil at medium heat. You will need to whisk or stir it periodically until it starts boiling. While the mixture is heating up take the rest of the milk (1 cup) + 5 eggs + 5 tablespoons flour mix it all together. Make sure there are no lumps. Slowly add/pour the mixture into the pot, constantly mixing. The mixture should come to a boil, turn down the heat, cook slowly until thickens, constantly stirring or whisking. If you like the cake really moist you can spread ready mixture when it is hot. I do not like it moist, prefer the cake to be still a bit crunchy when you bite into it, so I usually let it cool and spread the cream right before dinner. You’ll have to experiment to see which way you like better. You can pre-bake the pastry and pre-make the cream a day or even two ahead. But I have to say it tastes better when fresh. If you like lemon or maybe even some other flavor you can add along with the vanilla.
The recipe could be doubled, tripled or even quadruple (my favorite one, really tall).

I use grated chocolate along with crushed trimmings of the baked layers to sprinkle on the top of the cake, you can use whip cream if you like.

Here you go Charlie, you did a great job!:) I highlighted two phrases for you to change if you like or you can use your phrasing. I fixed your typos and swapped a couple of words for clarity. Otherwise, I didn't change it! Oh and I stole the recipe for my use...

Thank you very much and I hope you enjoy it. :)

And here is something that goes really well with that Zharkoe:

Pickled tomato

No canning required, but you will not be able to pickle them in the refrigerator. The pickling, that takes 2 to 3 weeks, has to be done at the room temperature. I recommend the kitchen, but as far away from stove as possible.

The recipe is very simple. I buy a box of tomatoes at the farmers market. It fills in the big pail that I have. I bought one in restaurant supply store, but you can use an enamel-plated pot. Or even a jar, if you make a little bit. As I make to last the whole winter I make 2 big pails, I think they are like 5 gallons or so.

Okay here is the recipe.

The recipe is for 5-gallon pail:

Tomatoes to fill pail almost to the top.

Dill one bunch, that is sold in the store or the farmers market is enough, if you like dill a lot, like I do, you can use 2 bunches.

Celery stalks 3, cut up in the 2-3 Inc pieces.

Hot pepper 3. I buy those long red or yellow ones; have no idea what they called.

Garlic 1

Salt 4 tablespoons for every 3 litter/quarts of water

Bay leaves few

Allspice and Black peppercorn; each about a t-spoon. I just grab it with 3 fingers whatever comes out is good enough.

Now the hot pepper will make tomato spicy, my mom puts only one I like a little bit spicier so I use 3, but I do not like spicy food so you can add more if you like spicy food, but not too much, at least first time.

Wash the tomatoes, peppers and dill. Cut up dill, put some to cover the bottom of the pail.

Put tomatoes, pepper, celery, and garlic. Make sure that garlic cloves, peppers, celery and dill is evenly spread through out the pail. Leave some dill to have enough to cover tomatoes on the top. Dissolve pickling salt in a little bit of the hot water and add the rest of cold water to fill the proportion above. My pail I can fill with 9 quarts of water. Just enough to cover tomatoes. Add allspice and black peppercorn. Spread the rest of dill on the top.

Now you have to keep them (the tomatoes) down and covered. I spread the cheesecloth over it and put big diner plate on the top, and then I put weight on the top. There is no exact since on how much weight. You can start with 2-litter soda bottle, but then in the week or even sooner you should switch to something lighter, like a quart or so. If there is not enough weight it is not a big problem if there is too much, tomato will get smashed. There is a debate about tomatoes, red or green, I use both. When I make a lot and set aside for the winter, I just eat the red ones first and the green ones I live for the latter. This year I had one jar of green ones left in June they were still awesome. The harder the tomato the lower on the bottom it should go, and the softer - the higher, of course.

Now comes the part my wife hates. It stinks well I like the smell. It takes 2 to 3 weeks for the pickling process, depends on the temperature in the kitchen, I do it in the kitchen. Tomatoes will get covered with something that looks like mildew, at this point you have to take plate and cloth of, rinse it and put it back. You should not allow mildew to build up and stay because tomatoes will taste like that mildew, yuck. In about two weeks you should taste them, and if they are ready (if they are not they will have some what weird and bitter taste, if yes it should remind you of dill pickles taste), slowly take them one by one, slowly rinse under cold water and put in the clean jar, then drain the pickling juice (for those who speak English that’s brine ;) ) through the clean cheesecloth right into the jar to cover tomatoes. Take some garlic cloves and if you like your tomatoes to be spicy add one pepper, make sure to rinse them too.

I keep my tomatoes in the refrigerator. If everything was clean they will stay clean the whole winter, if not they may have some mildew build up on the top. Then you should take out and clean it up. It is not a problem in the end.

P.S.

The spices and the greens that I put into tomato are really not carved in the stone, or whatever the saying is. For example back in Ukraine we used to add things like horseradish leaves, leaves of the cherry tree and leaves of black currant. Last year I added green capers, but this year I did not have any. So, if you are going to do that more than ones you can experiment
This was one of first recipes I read here. I am late growing toms so I will have a lot of green ones this year, D I have grown a lot of tomatillo's should I use them as well?

I am sorry, I have no idea. I did not think tomatillos were actually tomatoes.

I am actually in the proces of making this recipe right now, came to check the recipe my self.

In tomatoe recipe I see I made a mistake, ratehr typo. It is 4 table spoons of saqlt per 3 litters of water or 1 Gallon (not quarts). It is an approximate ammount too. some time it needs 5 table spoons and some times only 3. I think it has some thing to do with type of tomatoes.

Back
Top Bottom