Charlie D's Ukrainian Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On the other hand I always take cabage leaves of the gouptsi. I hate cabage. Actually it is not tastless it tastes pretty nasty to me. ;)
Stirling does that. I'll have to try it some time. I hate overcooked cabbage and I think cabbage is overcooked in just about anything but a stir fry.

I made cabbage rolls once. I really, really, didn't think they were worth the effort. Steaming all those cabbage leaves to make them pliable was a lot of work.

I usually make "lazy" cabbage rolls. I use cole slaw and shreded carrots in between layers of meat balls. Gives that flavor of the Cabae rolls, but less work and no need to steam before hand and at the end unwarap and toss the cabbage. ;)

The leaves are not cooked they are cured to make them tasty and pliable, there is a stall in Zagreb market that just sells the cured cabbage heads.

This is a Serbian cabbage salad my favorite way of eating it, slice a hard round cabbage on a mandolin, salt for a few hrs to draw out any bitterness, scrunch with your hand and dress with garlic and evoo.
img_1141575_0_d7808a10b4f02774db0e46d15f47d8b6.jpg

I usually make "lazy" cabbage rolls. I use cole slaw and shreded carrots in between layers of meat balls. Gives that flavor of the Cabae rolls, but less work and no need to steam before hand and at the end unwarap and toss the cabbage. ;)
I would be afraid that the cooked cabbage taste would contaminate the taste of the rest of the dish. ;)

The leaves are not cooked they are cured to make them tasty and pliable, there is a stall in Zagreb market that just sells the cured cabbage heads.

This is a Serbian cabbage salad my favorite way of eating it, slice a hard round cabbage on a mandolin, salt for a few hrs to draw out any bitterness, scrunch with your hand and dress with garlic and evoo.
img_1141580_0_d7808a10b4f02774db0e46d15f47d8b6.jpg
Please tell us more about curing the leaves. Sounds very interesting. But, don't the leaves get cooked when the whole dish goes in the oven?

TL-A friend of mine told me to freeze the cabbage first--the leaves peel off. Here's a link to doing that for cabbage rolls. I just freeze the cabbage overnight and then let it thaw for about 8 hours.

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1626,134182-250195,00.html

I imagine one could cure the leaves in a similar way that one prepares them for Kimichi without the chili, etc.

CharlieD--I make lazy day cabbage roll casserole, but my favorite is to make what I call cabbage roll meatloaf. I prepare the meat as if I were going to make cabbage rolls (obviously, I don't cook it), add cooked rice to the meat, and then put some tomato sauce in the bottom of a loaf pan, top with 1/2 of the meat, layer of tomato sauce, some frozen, chopped cabbage (we freeze cabbage in the fall), the rest of the meat, and then tomato sauce, cabbage, a few spoonfuls of sauce, and bake at 350 for about 1-1/2 hours. It tastes just like cabbage rolls, but without nearly as much fuss. I also make cabbage roll soup.

TL-A friend of mine told me to freeze the cabbage first--the leaves peel off. Here's a link to doing that for cabbage rolls. I just freeze the cabbage overnight and then let it thaw for about 8 hours.

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1626,134182-250195,00.html

I imagine one could cure the leaves in a similar way that one prepares them for Kimichi without the chili, etc.

CharlieD--I make lazy day cabbage roll casserole, but my favorite is to make what I call cabbage roll meatloaf. I prepare the meat as if I were going to make cabbage rolls (obviously, I don't cook it), add cooked rice to the meat, and then put some tomato sauce in the bottom of a loaf pan, top with 1/2 of the meat, layer of tomato sauce, some frozen, chopped cabbage (we freeze cabbage in the fall), the rest of the meat, and then tomato sauce, cabbage, a few spoonfuls of sauce, and bake at 350 for about 1-1/2 hours. It tastes just like cabbage rolls, but without nearly as much fuss. I also make cabbage roll soup.
Well, it all sounds simpler and interesting, but I never had a cabbage roll I liked. Well, I may have liked my Swedish grandmother's kåldolmer. I remember having them, but I don't remember what I thought of them, so I probably didn't hate them. :LOL:

Well, it all sounds simpler and interesting, but I never had a cabbage roll I liked. Well, I may have liked my Swedish grandmother's kåldolmer. I remember having them, but I don't remember what I thought of them, so I probably didn't hate them. :LOL:
Actually, I season the meat the way my grandmother did (also Swedish). I sometimes skip the tomato sauce and use the beef-based sauce like my grandma put on her cabbage rolls.

Seasoning is a completely personal preference and should be used accordingly. I always tell people to use what they like not what I use. I for example do not like Swedish or italian meatballs. But the moment I make them my way, the way I used to from childhood I love them.

Actually, I season the meat the way my grandmother did (also Swedish). I sometimes skip the tomato sauce and use the beef-based sauce like my grandma put on her cabbage rolls.
When you have time, would you please give me your recipe. I'm pretty sure my granny didn't use a tomato based sauce. Maybe there is something in the Swedish seasoning that counters the awful of cooked cabbage. ;)

When you have time, would you please give me your recipe. I'm pretty sure my granny didn't use a tomato based sauce. Maybe there is something in the Swedish seasoning that counters the awful of cooked cabbage. ;)
Give me time to get the bookshelves up and unpack my grandmother's cookbook, and I'd be happy to share it. I pretty much know it by heart, but its the sauce that I always double-check on.

Listen this is what I do. I take shredded carrots or shred it myself, dice onion and bell peppers, red or yellow, but not green and shredded cabbage. Do not add too much cabbage. I sautéed all of that with the seasoning of your choice, I mean my choice, but you should do it with your choice. .

Then I put the on the bottom of the pan then meat, that I form into meat balls and then more of the above mixture. As far as tomato sauce. It can be mixed with sour cream, or mayo, or simply substituted with sour cream altogether. I think sour cream and sauce mixture would work the best. You can add a little bit of boiling water too, to offset the taste of the tomato.

Please tell us more about curing the leaves. Sounds very interesting. But, don't the leaves get cooked when the whole dish goes in the oven?
To cure the cabbage you need a plastic drum with a lid, a piece of wood that will fit inside, a stone as a weight, salt, dried corn cobs and winter frost.
Place your first hard round white cabbage in the drum, throw in a few handfuls of salt and a corn cob,repeat till the drum is 80% full then put the board and stone on top, close the lid, strap onto your partner back so she can carry it comfortably to the coldest area in the garden, leave for three month(just the drum) take a flattened head out it should be yellow and the leaves should be soft and pliable for wrapping.

The liquid in the drum is very good as a scalp lotion if you are bald, if you are not bald you will be soon after you use it.:wacko:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom