Cheese Arepas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrazenAmateur

Senior Cook
Anyone here make arepas on the regular? I could look up recipes online, but I'd rather get one from someone here.

I have never made them, nor had one. But would love to try them sometime. (Saw a show about them, they look really good!) Maybe I will make some if you get some recipes!

Arapas with Cheese / Arapas con Queso

1 cup Masarepa “pre-cooked arepa flour”
1 cup warm water
Pinch salt

Cheese
Oil

Mix Masarepa, water and salt. Let rest for a few minutes.
Divide into 4 balls.
Flatten out (make sure your edges are in a circle)

Heat heavy pan on medium low and some oil. Add your Arapas and cook slowly until cooked almost thru.

Remove from pan, let cool and cut a slit in the middle.
Add cheese.
Cook until the cheese has melted. (I like to do this step on a hot grill over a high flame)

Frijoles con Arepas Rellenas de Queso / Beans and Cheese Stuffed Corn Cakes by powerplantop, on Flickr

1 cup Masarepa “pre-cooked arepa flour
1 cup warm water
Pinch salt

Cheese
Oil

Divide into 4 balls.

Heat heavy pan on medium low and some oil. Add your Arapas and cook slowly until cooked almost thru.

Add cheese.
Cook until the cheese has melted. (I like to do this step on a hot grill over a high flame)

Frijoles con Arepas Rellenas de Queso / Beans and Cheese Stuffed Corn Cakes by powerplantop, on Flickr

Great pics, PP.

I've been meaning to make them, but may have to find a market that sells arepa flour(?). Saved a few recipes, & like this arepa chicken/avocado sandwich:

http://www.goya.com/english/recipes/arepa-chicken-avocado

Last edited:

1 cup Masarepa “pre-cooked arepa flour”
1 cup warm water
Pinch salt

Cheese
Oil

Divide into 4 balls.

Add cheese.

That looks very good, will have to give it a shot!

I wonder if there is a way to make these more healthy for diabetics. These arepas' sound high in carbohydrates and salt. Anyone have any ideas on that?

When I lived in Canada I used to make arepas with AREPARINA (from Colombia) or PANARINA (from Venezuela). If I could not get it, just used CORNMEAL. I did them just like Powerplantop says, but I added 1 tsp oil to de dough. With the cornmeal use boiling water.
One of the secrets is to really mix (amass?) the dough, that is not too dry or not wet, and make balls more or less 3/4 cup, put
between 2 pieces of plastic, and flatten. Put on the stove a rack, let it heat, then put on top the flattened arepa (careful, as it break easily- but do not be afraid, is not the end of the world) Let it cook on medium heath, then carefuly turn and cook the other side. I like to eat them with a very thin spread of butter and on top a slice of cheese.. The Monterrey Jack I loved, or the Mozzarella, any cheese is good with themAlso, you can top them with mashed beans and cooked bacon strips, or shredded meat, scarmbled eggs, etc.

Good luck!!! I hope this help somebody!

I wonder if there is a way to make these more healthy for diabetics. These arepas' sound high in carbohydrates and salt. Anyone have any ideas on that?

It is going to be a bit high in carbs, you are making a crude dough, with starch, and it's a simple dish that has sustained thousands, for a long long time.

While there may be modern day alternatives, it's just one f those items where if you change it up, it's not going to be the same, and you can't do "less is more" when it's a 3 ingredient item to make.

The little torta can be filled with things that are less carbo concerns, but, that is all up to you.

They are excellent. These are main staple for Venezuelans and replace bread at the table. Basically precooked corn meal flour water and sometimes a tad of butter makes the arepa very tasty. Has the texture of baked polenta though a bit more consistent and is used with all kinds of filling. Shredded meat, avocados/chicken (reina pepiada), etc... The dough can also be made into empanadas that are filled with delicious cheese (mozzarella even), or cazon ( small shark ) and others. Wonderful wonderful stuff.

During Christmas time, in NYC's Bryant Park, My Daughter got an Arepas with cut up strawberries,bananas and sweet condensed milk drizzled on top. It was great. I went for the savory one stuffed with spinach and feta, but honestly, I liked hers better.

Can't say that I've ever had them with sweet or fruit stuffing. Are you talking about Colombian or Venezuelan style? The Colombian dough is yellow and I believe it is not corn meal based. But I may be wrong.

Can't say that I've ever had them with sweet or fruit stuffing. Are you talking about Colombian or Venezuelan style? The Colombian dough is yellow and I believe it is not corn meal based. But I may be wrong.

Colombian dough can be white or yellow and is made from pre-cooked corn.

Larry: could be that the arepas your daughter had were made with fresh sweet corn
(arepas de choclo o chocolo). They are made with sweet corn and many people eat them with cheese on top, or condensed milk, or whatever they fancy. I love them!!!

I've made them a time or 2. They are good homemade but one of those dishes that I wasn't sure whether it was worth the time involved or not. However, I live in a place where you can get them at fairs, tourist attractions, etc, besides being in the freezer case at the grocery. I do prefer the ones made with fresh sweet corn though.

Back
Top Bottom