Chicken Coconut Soup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieD

Chef Extraordinaire
I have been making this soup for quite a while and never had any problems. Yesterday the coconut milk curdled. Well, maybe curdled is not a right word, maybe there is a different word in English since it's not really milk per se. It tasted fine though. Anyway, it was weird. As if the little pieces of coconut milk were floating in the soup, lots of them.
Any advice, any idea what may have happened?
Please help.

Thank you.
Unfortunately it doesn't really answer my question, because, I in fact, kept stirring constantly.
Weird.
The only thing that I did different, I usually add coconut milk to chicken soup, last night I added soup to coconut milk, maybe that is when milk curdled.

Did you change which brand of coconut milk you use? I have found that most coconut milk now has at least one emulsifier on the list of ingredients. (I have no idea why, it was fine without.) Maybe it's a different emulsifier that makes the coconut milk behave differently.

The only thing that I did different, I usually add coconut milk to chicken soup, last night I added soup to coconut milk, maybe that is when milk curdled.

Well they always say "cold milk to hot roux equals no lumps", perhaps it is the same with soup.

Did you change which brand of coconut milk you use? I have found that most coconut milk now has at least one emulsifier on the list of ingredients. (I have no idea why, it was fine without.) Maybe it's a different emulsifier that makes the coconut milk behave differently.

Hm, interesting. Will have to check. I never really paid attention to ingredients. But I have used several different brands. Never had problems

Back
Top Bottom