"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-29-2009, 03:55 PM   #1
Head Chef
 
qmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Puget Sound convergence zone
Posts: 997
Chickenfeet....

Anyone like these things? There are a few Chinese places around here that serve them. One in particular is quite spectacular.

Garlic and soy gelatinous goodness!!

And all the Chinese waitresses get all delighted when an Anglo orders them.

qmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:28 PM   #2
Head Chef
 
MexicoKaren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bucerias, Nayarit, Mexico
Posts: 1,914
I see chicken feet in the markets here, but have never seen them served, so I don't know how they are prepared. Anyone?
__________________
Saludos, Karen
MexicoKaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:31 PM   #3
Head Chef
 
qmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Puget Sound convergence zone
Posts: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicoKaren View Post
I see chicken feet in the markets here, but have never seen them served, so I don't know how they are prepared. Anyone?

Recipezaar has a pretty good looking recipe.

BTW - the topic was inspired by the new Hagar/Satriani collaboration - Chickenfoot.
qmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:06 PM   #4
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Culpeper, VA
Posts: 5,803
I've never had them, but have always wanted to try them - especially after watching Anthony Bourdain swoon over them in several of his Asian "No Reservations" episodes.

Back in the "old days", my grandparents used to get them for free from the local NYC butchers & use them for soup stock, but I don't recall them eating them.
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:09 PM   #5
Head Chef
 
qmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Puget Sound convergence zone
Posts: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
I've never had them, but have always wanted to try them - especially after watching Anthony Bourdain swoon over them in several of his Asian "No Reservations" episodes.

Back in the "old days", my grandparents used to get them for free from the local NYC butchers & use them for soup stock, but I don't recall them eating them.

They are standard dim sum fare. Wife and always get them.
qmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:11 PM   #6
Master Chef
 
texasgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North Texas
Posts: 9,497
Never had them and have no desire for them, lol
texasgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:30 PM   #7
Head Chef
 
letscook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The Finger Lakes of NY
Posts: 2,037
Everytime I hear Chicken Feet I think of my cousin years ago. He was dating this nice Italin girl and was invited to Sunday dinner. After about the 3rd course of food a plate of speg and meataballs was placed in front of him. When dug into the plate up come a chicken foot. he set it down and excused himself thanked for the dinner and invite and left never to see that girl again.
__________________
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching
letscook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:55 PM   #8
Sous Chef
 
CasperImproved's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 681
If you like animal fat, like the ham's outer covering, don't trim the rib steak on purpose, etc. You'd like chicken feet. The reason some use them for stock is the amount of collagen in them. I personally don't like them for aesthetic reasons, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't enjoy a dish they participated in.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained,

Bob
__________________
If eating tasty stuff is a sin, I am certainly going south.
CasperImproved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:20 PM   #9
Assistant Cook
 
FoodDiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 9
Chicken feet - a delicacy in the Caribbean as well. Try it pickled, and stewed. I love 'em!
__________________
The Cooking Encyclopedia Everyone Can Edit -www.foodista.com
FoodDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:52 PM   #10
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Metro New York
Posts: 8,763
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
My grandmother liked to gnaw on them. I'm a real bone-picker, but I never could find anything to gnaw off! I do like to add them to soups. Adds to the gelatinous quality in stock, or good chicken soup.
I have a supply in the freezer.
__________________
Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:51 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 12,169
my aunt's hungarian MIL told my aunt she HAD to make chicken soup for her son (my aunt's husband) this way: go to buthcher shop pick chicken (cluck to pluck 1 minute flat!!), place veggies, chicken beeks, feet and all while still warm into pot, cover with water salt boil for hours and hours. strain out veggies and throw them away. place beeks, feet and all chicken in a serving bowl on table. boil pasta flakes and place in individual bowls pour broth over pasta. everyone adds their own chicken to bowl. not my cup of tea or soup!! i went with my aunt to the poultry shop when i was 6 yrs old to young to understand why the pretty birdie went in the back and yelled. i also on that same day made the mistake to disobey my aunt when she said not to left the lid on pot on the stove. which i of course proceded not to heed ...... a head and foot popped up i let the heavy enameled cast iron lid drop and went screaming down the celler and didn't come out from under the stairs till my uncle got home a coxed me out!! i then told my mom i never wanted to go to aunties house on chicken soup day again!!
__________________
There is freedom within, there is freedom without
Try to catch the deluge in a paper cup
There's a battle ahead, many battles are lost
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 12:52 AM   #12
Senior Cook
 
shalinee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 170
Chicken feet is a great delicacy. I'm Asian and was brought up to eat chicken feet. A Chinese Dr told me that the high collagen in chicken feet is good for us to build back the soft tissues between our joints. There are many ways of cooking them. I just cook it in the simplest way. Wash them well. Cut off the claws. Chop some garlic. Pan fry them til fragrant. Add in the chicken feet. Add soya sauce, chili sauce, sugar, water, sesame oil and some wine and let it cook til soft. Adjust the taste.
shalinee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 06:57 AM   #13
Head Chef
 
powerplantop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 2,499
I am not a picky eater (I have eaten octopus that was still moving) but I cant get over the texture of chicken feet. I tried them a couple of times in Korea but just did not like the texture. But it sounds like they would be great for making chiken soup.
__________________
My blog https://jamesstrange.com/
powerplantop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 08:22 AM   #14
Sous Chef
 
CasperImproved's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalinee View Post
Chicken feet is a great delicacy. I'm Asian and was brought up to eat chicken feet. A Chinese Dr told me that the high collagen in chicken feet is good for us to build back the soft tissues between our joints. There are many ways of cooking them. I just cook it in the simplest way. Wash them well. Cut off the claws. Chop some garlic. Pan fry them til fragrant. Add in the chicken feet. Add soya sauce, chili sauce, sugar, water, sesame oil and some wine and let it cook til soft. Adjust the taste.

Mary - We're such a friendly and sharing lot.. you can have my share

Bob
__________________
If eating tasty stuff is a sin, I am certainly going south.
CasperImproved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 01:33 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
 
luckytrim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: southeastern pa.
Posts: 15,499
__________________
“There are people in the world so hungry, that God cannot appear to them except in the form of bread.”
― Mahatma Gandhi
luckytrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 02:40 PM   #16
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1
chicken feet

I am new to the website, but here goes. I grew up mostly on a farm, where the saying was that you ate everything on a hog, except the oink. I guess the same went for the chicken. My sister-in-law used to ask me how I could eat such a thing, to her reply: I just chew in between their little toes. I never thought anything about eating them as a kid, that's just the way it was done.

froge15
froge15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 01:50 AM   #17
Senior Cook
 
shalinee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 170
For those who still think eating chicken is a nightmare and still consider trying it, maybe you can try a different way of cooking it. Maybe chop it up into smaller pieces so that it looks better. If you deep fry it first, then soak it in a basin of cold water before cooking, it gives you a completely different texture which is very nice. For me, deep frying it is quite a hassle. Be careful of the hot oil.
shalinee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 07:31 AM   #18
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 3,381
We use them in chicken stock . We can get them quite regularly here.
__________________
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
Loprraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 07:42 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
 
luckytrim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: southeastern pa.
Posts: 15,499
GRANNY’S CHICKEN FOOT SOUP

4 to 5 pair chicken feet
4 to 5 lbs. necks, backs and wings
1 large carrot
1 large onion, chopped
4 stalks celery, including leaves, cut up
1/2 bay leaf 6 peppercorns 8- 10 c. cold water
wash feet and chop off claws
lay feet in shallow pan and pour boiling water over them to cover.
when cool, skin the feet. put all ingredients in a stewing pot. bring to a
boil. reduce heat and simmer until chicken and vegetables are tender.
remove meat. skin the meat or remove from bones and set aside.
strain the soup and, if necessary, boil down for a stronger consistency.
add the meat to the strained soup before serving
this soup will chill to a firm jelly.
serves 6-8
__________________
“There are people in the world so hungry, that God cannot appear to them except in the form of bread.”
― Mahatma Gandhi
luckytrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 08:53 AM   #20
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Missouri
Posts: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
my aunt's hungarian MIL told my aunt she HAD to make chicken soup for her son (my aunt's husband) this way: go to buthcher shop pick chicken (cluck to pluck 1 minute flat!!), place veggies, chicken beeks, feet and all while still warm into pot, cover with water salt boil for hours and hours. strain out veggies and throw them away. place beeks, feet and all chicken in a serving bowl on table. boil pasta flakes and place in individual bowls pour broth over pasta. everyone adds their own chicken to bowl. not my cup of tea or soup!! i went with my aunt to the poultry shop when i was 6 yrs old to young to understand why the pretty birdie went in the back and yelled. i also on that same day made the mistake to disobey my aunt when she said not to left the lid on pot on the stove. which i of course proceded not to heed ...... a head and foot popped up i let the heavy enameled cast iron lid drop and went screaming down the celler and didn't come out from under the stairs till my uncle got home a coxed me out!! i then told my mom i never wanted to go to aunties house on chicken soup day again!!


bwaaahahahahaha!!!!! yikes! were you scarred for life??
pretty sure I would be!
y'all are waaaaay braver than I am. I just couldn't do it!
ellakav is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.