"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-11-2020, 07:10 PM   #1
Executive Chef
 
larry_stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 3,965
Chinese Barbecue Sauce Question

I was just watching an episode of DDD on food network, and Guy visited an Asian restaurant . One of the dishes she put some Chinese barbecue sauce in as one of the ingredients . It didn't like like a sauce to me, it looked more pasty, thick enough to hold its shape after she dumped it in with a spoon ( kinda like when yo spoon mashed potatoes ), it was brown and grainy looking. Does this kind of Chinese barbecue sauce sound familiar to anyone ? Just curious

larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 09:24 PM   #2
Wannabe TV Chef
 
Kaneohegirlinaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 6,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
I was just watching an episode of DDD on food network, and Guy visited an Asian restaurant . One of the dishes she put some Chinese barbecue sauce in as one of the ingredients . It didn't like like a sauce to me, it looked more pasty, thick enough to hold its shape after she dumped it in with a spoon ( kinda like when yo spoon mashed potatoes ), it was brown and grainy looking. Does this kind of Chinese barbecue sauce sound familiar to anyone ? Just curious
I think of Chinese BBQ sauce as Char Siu.
The restaurant probably makes their own recipe, and I would imagine
that the grainy look would be the Brown Sugar and the thickness
from Red Bean Curd.
Just my opinion
Kaneohegirlinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 09:37 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 47,716
I've always heard the term chinese bbq sauce in reference to Hoisin.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 10:02 PM   #4
Wannabe TV Chef
 
Kaneohegirlinaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 6,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I've always heard the term chinese bbq sauce in reference to Hoisin.
MMM!
Have you tried grilling Chicken (or Pork for that matter)
and basting it in Hoisin Sauce?
DE~LI~CIOUS!!!

Geez, I haven't made that in for-ever ... I'm added that to this weeks menu
Kaneohegirlinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 01:32 AM   #5
Head Chef
 
pepperhead212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Woodbury, NJ
Posts: 2,293
Definitely sounds like hoisin. I remember a Chinese CB years ago in which they referred to hoisin as barbecue sauce, with hoisin sauce in parentheses, and I wondered, why did they do this? It's labeled HOISIN SAUCE, on the containers!

Some brands of Hoisin looks very thick, like you describe, almost like bean paste, but my favorite (Koon Chun) was always like a dark BBQ sauce.
__________________
Dave
pepperhead212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 04:59 AM   #6
Executive Chef
 
larry_stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 3,965
Yeah, it was definitely thick ( unlike any hoisin sauce Ive had, although im by far not a hoisin sauce expert )

The brown sugar/ bean paste visually and texturally makes sense. Thats the color it looked ike too.

Ill see if I can find the video/ episode somewhere tp give you guys a better look.
larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 05:30 AM   #7
Executive Chef
 
larry_stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 3,965
Its that brown, grainy stuff on top. ( right underneath the play arrow)
***Its a screen shot, not a video***
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-04-12 at 6.19.43 AM.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	40335  
larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 11:41 AM   #8
Head Chef
 
pepperhead212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Woodbury, NJ
Posts: 2,293
That doesn't look like any hoisin, or for that matter, BBQ sauce I've ever seen. And it doesn't look like any bean paste I've seen, either.

Given the show it was on, maybe it was a unique sauce made at the dive, and called Chinese because it had soy sauce in it?
__________________
Dave
pepperhead212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 12:00 PM   #9
Executive Chef
 
larry_stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 3,965
A lot of the stuff they used was homemade ( Ginger/onion Oil, Chili paste, Barbecue sauce) so Im guessing its just some homemade concoction. But since it didn't look familiar to me, I was hoping it looked familiar to someone else.
larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 01:27 PM   #10
Head Chef
 
powerplantop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 2,499
Larry, its also called SACHA SAUCE.

This is how to make it.
__________________
My blog https://jamesstrange.com/
powerplantop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 05:32 PM   #11
Head Chef
 
pepperhead212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Woodbury, NJ
Posts: 2,293
PP That does sound like the Sha Cha sauce that I got years ago (early 2000s sometime) - that one from Malaysia, but not called Chinese BBQ sauce. I wonder when that name started getting used? And looking into that recipe for it, Sha Cha Powder is called for, but when I searched for that, all I could find were things like protein powders and cosmetic powders, even on ebay, where a lot of unusual Asian foods are often accessible. Seems really strange. But that sauce they describe sounds a lot like the one I got, with a strong seafood umami flavor - typical in Malaysian foods.

Next time I go to the Asian market I'll have to look into it again, and see if the name has changed. Or if they have others, and where they are from. And maybe there is sha cha powder there. If it weren't for this virus problem, I'd go tomorrow! lol This has definitely piqued my interest.
__________________
Dave
pepperhead212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 05:55 PM   #12
Executive Chef
 
larry_stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 3,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperhead212 View Post
PP If it weren't for this virus problem, I'd go tomorrow! lol This has definitely piqued my interest.
Piqued Mine too. I dont even eat the stuff but when I saw something that ( at least in my mind) didn't look recognizable, I kinda had to know.

That being said, that site did list a vegetarian version ( which I ordered on amazon). Didn't list the ingredients ( or at least I couldn't find it), but im curious to try it.
larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 06:56 PM   #13
Senior Cook
 
Recipes Make Magic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Posts: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplantop View Post
Larry, its also called SACHA SAUCE.

This is how to make it.
Great information - Thanks for posting that !
__________________
Regards,
Paul
Recipes Make Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 08:24 PM   #14
Head Chef
 
powerplantop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 2,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperhead212 View Post
PP That does sound like the Sha Cha sauce that I got years ago (early 2000s sometime) - that one from Malaysia, but not called Chinese BBQ sauce. I wonder when that name started getting used? And looking into that recipe for it, Sha Cha Powder is called for, but when I searched for that, all I could find were things like protein powders and cosmetic powders, even on ebay, where a lot of unusual Asian foods are often accessible. Seems really strange. But that sauce they describe sounds a lot like the one I got, with a strong seafood umami flavor - typical in Malaysian foods.

Next time I go to the Asian market I'll have to look into it again, and see if the name has changed. Or if they have others, and where they are from. And maybe there is sha cha powder there. If it weren't for this virus problem, I'd go tomorrow! lol This has definitely piqued my interest.
I have never seen the powder and could not find it online.
__________________
My blog https://jamesstrange.com/
powerplantop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 08:39 PM   #15
Head Chef
 
powerplantop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 2,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
Piqued Mine too. I dont even eat the stuff but when I saw something that ( at least in my mind) didn't look recognizable, I kinda had to know.

That being said, that site did list a vegetarian version ( which I ordered on amazon). Didn't list the ingredients ( or at least I couldn't find it), but im curious to try it.
I found the ingrediants for the veg one here https://world.taobao.com/item/520027...4040131bSVnfTx
According to google translate soybean oil, white sesame, coconut flour, ginger, salt, soy protein, soy sauce, sesame oil, spices, food flavors and red pepper.
__________________
My blog https://jamesstrange.com/
powerplantop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 08:41 PM   #16
Executive Chef
 
larry_stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 3,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplantop View Post
I found the ingrediants for the veg one here https://world.taobao.com/item/520027...4040131bSVnfTx
According to google translate soybean oil, white sesame, coconut flour, ginger, salt, soy protein, soy sauce, sesame oil, spices, food flavors and red pepper.
Great, thanks.
Should have it by the end of the week.
looking forward to giving it a taste and figuring out what Im going to do with it.
larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 08:43 PM   #17
Head Chef
 
powerplantop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 2,499
Found it on an English website.

__________________
My blog https://jamesstrange.com/
powerplantop is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
chinese, sauce

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.