Chinese Barbecue Sauce Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
I was just watching an episode of DDD on food network, and Guy visited an Asian restaurant . One of the dishes she put some Chinese barbecue sauce in as one of the ingredients . It didn't like like a sauce to me, it looked more pasty, thick enough to hold its shape after she dumped it in with a spoon ( kinda like when yo spoon mashed potatoes ), it was brown and grainy looking. Does this kind of Chinese barbecue sauce sound familiar to anyone ? Just curious

I was just watching an episode of DDD on food network, and Guy visited an Asian restaurant . One of the dishes she put some Chinese barbecue sauce in as one of the ingredients . It didn't like like a sauce to me, it looked more pasty, thick enough to hold its shape after she dumped it in with a spoon ( kinda like when yo spoon mashed potatoes ), it was brown and grainy looking. Does this kind of Chinese barbecue sauce sound familiar to anyone ? Just curious

I think of Chinese BBQ sauce as Char Siu.
The restaurant probably makes their own recipe, and I would imagine
that the grainy look would be the Brown Sugar and the thickness
from Red Bean Curd.
Just my opinion

Definitely sounds like hoisin. I remember a Chinese CB years ago in which they referred to hoisin as barbecue sauce, with hoisin sauce in parentheses, and I wondered, why did they do this? It's labeled HOISIN SAUCE, on the containers!

Some brands of Hoisin looks very thick, like you describe, almost like bean paste, but my favorite (Koon Chun) was always like a dark BBQ sauce.

Yeah, it was definitely thick ( unlike any hoisin sauce Ive had, although im by far not a hoisin sauce expert :) )

The brown sugar/ bean paste visually and texturally makes sense. Thats the color it looked ike too.

Ill see if I can find the video/ episode somewhere tp give you guys a better look.

Its that brown, grainy stuff on top. ( right underneath the play arrow)
***Its a screen shot, not a video***

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-12 at 6.19.43 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-04-12 at 6.19.43 AM.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 158
That doesn't look like any hoisin, or for that matter, BBQ sauce I've ever seen. And it doesn't look like any bean paste I've seen, either.

Given the show it was on, maybe it was a unique sauce made at the dive, and called Chinese because it had soy sauce in it?

Last edited:
A lot of the stuff they used was homemade ( Ginger/onion Oil, Chili paste, Barbecue sauce) so Im guessing its just some homemade concoction. But since it didn't look familiar to me, I was hoping it looked familiar to someone else.

PP That does sound like the Sha Cha sauce that I got years ago (early 2000s sometime) - that one from Malaysia, but not called Chinese BBQ sauce. I wonder when that name started getting used? And looking into that recipe for it, Sha Cha Powder is called for, but when I searched for that, all I could find were things like protein powders and cosmetic powders, even on ebay, where a lot of unusual Asian foods are often accessible. Seems really strange. But that sauce they describe sounds a lot like the one I got, with a strong seafood umami flavor - typical in Malaysian foods.

Next time I go to the Asian market I'll have to look into it again, and see if the name has changed. Or if they have others, and where they are from. And maybe there is sha cha powder there. If it weren't for this virus problem, I'd go tomorrow! lol This has definitely piqued my interest.

PP If it weren't for this virus problem, I'd go tomorrow! lol This has definitely piqued my interest.

Piqued Mine too. I dont even eat the stuff but when I saw something that ( at least in my mind) didn't look recognizable, I kinda had to know.

That being said, that site did list a vegetarian version ( which I ordered on amazon). Didn't list the ingredients ( or at least I couldn't find it), but im curious to try it.

PP That does sound like the Sha Cha sauce that I got years ago (early 2000s sometime) - that one from Malaysia, but not called Chinese BBQ sauce. I wonder when that name started getting used? And looking into that recipe for it, Sha Cha Powder is called for, but when I searched for that, all I could find were things like protein powders and cosmetic powders, even on ebay, where a lot of unusual Asian foods are often accessible. Seems really strange. But that sauce they describe sounds a lot like the one I got, with a strong seafood umami flavor - typical in Malaysian foods.

Next time I go to the Asian market I'll have to look into it again, and see if the name has changed. Or if they have others, and where they are from. And maybe there is sha cha powder there. If it weren't for this virus problem, I'd go tomorrow! lol This has definitely piqued my interest.

I have never seen the powder and could not find it online.

Piqued Mine too. I dont even eat the stuff but when I saw something that ( at least in my mind) didn't look recognizable, I kinda had to know.

That being said, that site did list a vegetarian version ( which I ordered on amazon). Didn't list the ingredients ( or at least I couldn't find it), but im curious to try it.

I found the ingrediants for the veg one here https://world.taobao.com/item/520027710179.htm?spm=a21wu.10013406-tw.0.0.4040131bSVnfTx
According to google translate soybean oil, white sesame, coconut flour, ginger, salt, soy protein, soy sauce, sesame oil, spices, food flavors and red pepper.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom