Chinese Corn Soup with Crispy Rice Dome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

physics-fan3.14

Assistant Cook
I was talking to a friend the other evening, and she mentioned a dish that she had while she was a teacher in China. She described it as a "crispy rice dome, and you crack it, and it falls down into a corn soup, and its quite delicious."

Now, I'm trying to impress this girl and want to recreate the dish for her. I've found recipes for the corn soup, which I think might be called "yu mi geng."

I've found two pictures of what I think it might look like, but no recipe for the crispy rice. Any ideas on how to make a "crispy rice dome?"

I'm brand new here, but I've got a few years of experience as an amateur home chef.

crispy-rice.jpg

gaoqiao-rice-crisp-fishsauce.jpg

Rinse uncooked rice three times to remove excess starch. Cook rice in boiling water until done. Heat a deep fryer or dutch oven with oil to 360' F. When rice is cool enough to work with, Press into an oiled fine-mesh SS Sieve. Press a bowl into the sieve so as to form the rice dome. Immerse the rice-filled sieve and SS bowl into the hot oil. Fry until the rice is nicely browned. Carefully remove the bowl an sieve from the hot oil. Let cool on a paper towel lined cooling rack for 5 minutes. Separate the bowl from the rice dome and the rice dome from the sieve. Let drain 5 more minutes before placing over your soup bowl.

This should work.

You can also line the sieve with rinsed and dried shredded potato or with cooked noodles to make crispy domes.

You could probably place the sieve/bowl into a hot oven, on a cookie sheet and do the same thing. Then you would avoid having to deal with hot oil.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom