Chinese Style Red BBQ Rib Bites?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Andy M. said:
Mikey, cook the tenderloin whole (unsliced). In place of suspending, place a rack across the top of a roasting pan or baking dish and put the meat on the rack. Fill the dih with hot water and roast. The meat should be uncovered, not wrapped

Durn....Theyre already sliced and marinating....What to do, what to do?

obiwan:

I tried your recipe tonight, with the addition of ginger, on a pork tenderloin. I was able to marinate it for 8 hours.

It tasted great. I like it better than my version. However, it came out a little wetter than I'm accustomed to with my recipe. I'll have to allow for that next time around.

Thanks.

Andy M. said:
obiwan:

I tried your recipe tonight, with the addition of ginger, on a pork tenderloin. I was able to marinate it for 8 hours.

It tasted great. I like it better than my version. However, it came out a little wetter than I'm accustomed to with my recipe. I'll have to allow for that next time around.

Thanks.
glad to hear
suggest wiping as much mari off before cooking or hitting it with 500F degree heat for last 10 minutes of cooking

obiwan9962 said:
glad to hear
suggest wiping as much mari off before cooking or hitting it with 500F degree heat for last 10 minutes of cooking

That recipe was wonderful. Cooking is key, I cant cut it up next time...until after.

Hi guys, I've been away from DC for sometime. That's probably why I've been in a cooking rut. This char siu idea is just great so I'll try this one out soon.

Just need to ask a stupid question: what's the purpose of the pan of water under the meat in the oven? I suspect it's so the meat doesn't dry out but I'm not sure...

TIA!

obiwan9962 said:
3 pounds lean pork loin
1 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder or 1 tsp fresh garlic
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
1/4 cup malt sugar or honey
1 tablespoon rice wine or sherry
1 tablespoon chinese 5 spice powder
1 teaspoon red food coloring (opt)

Mix all ingredients except the pork to make a marinade. Marinate the pork for at least 2 hours; overnight is even better.

The trick is the cooking process. I hope there is something in the top of your oven that you can wire the pork to so it can hang free during the roasting with a pan of water placed directly beneath it.

Roast the pork at 400 degrees F for about 20 minutes. Let cool and slice thin. Serve with hot mustard and toasted sesame seeds.

If you do not have a way of hanging the pork you can use a perforated pan placed on an upper shelf directly above the pan of water. Be sure to turn the pork occasionally.

Obiwan, I just tried your recipe. The meat tasted great but the outside appearance needed improvement (It was pale and wet). You mentioned in an earlier post that the meat must be finished with high heat for caramelization but I don't see that in your recipe.

I would appreciate if you can clarify the finishing process. Thanks!

P.S. Thanks BBQMikey for responding to my question.

chopstix
sawadee

the recipe is meant for industrial application in an industrial kitchen
and customers that do not appreciate dried out char siu and we also reheat it in a 500 degree oven
so as i mentioned before, one might try turning up the oven to 500 for the last 10-15 minutes of cooking

obiwan9962 said:
so as i mentioned before, one might try turning up the oven to 500 for the last 10-15 minutes of cooking

Thanks Obiwan.

Since the meat stays in the oven about 20 min only, I find the addendum of turning up the last 10-15 minutes to 500F to be somewhat critical to the success of this recipe. :chef:

Another question on process: Since the pork loin is essentially being steamed in the oven (given the pan of water) resulting in a pale and wet char siu, if I want a successful caramelization at 500F for 10-15 min, shouldn't I remove the pan of water?

TIA!

Chopstix said:
Thanks Obiwan.

Since the meat stays in the oven about 20 min only, I find the addendum of turning up the last 10-15 minutes to 500F to be somewhat critical to the success of this recipe. :chef:

Another question on process: Since the pork loin is essentially being steamed in the oven (given the pan of water) resulting in a pale and wet char siu, if I want a successful caramelization at 500F for 10-15 min, shouldn't I remove the pan of water?

TIA!

As long as the heat is increased and the pork is well basted in the sauce, the pan of water doesnt really affect carmelization. You have to BOIL THE WATER BEFORE!!! I have an old chinese cookbook and picked up that tip. If youre cooking it in large quantity (3lbs +) in an industrial strength oven, it takes 1.5 hours @ 350 degrees (turning after 45 minutes and rebasting) turning off the oven towards the end. You can slice the pork or cook the whole loin this way, for more even covering, I cut the pork before hand, and it doesnt quite take 1.5 hours at home, as I cook less and the oven is smaller.

Tossing on the grill will add more carmelization and a nice chargrilled flavor, adding to a stir fry is always fun as well.

Hope this helps someone? Obiwan has that recipe down though, I don't mess with that.

Last edited:
You guys are making me hungry. When I lived in Hawaii char su was ubiquitious, a bit was in almost every batch of noodles or rice, not to mention in the buns (I think it was called mana pua). I don't think I've seen it since I moved here.

Bump. Chinese style ribs recipe. I am making this for Christmas eve as an appetizer. Its been so long I need to refresh. Char Su is on!

I think increasing the heat may help in the carmelization process. Earlier I disagreed but high heat is indeed critical to carmelizing a sauce.

Ok so you know those little red strips of bbq ribs that you find at a chinese buffet? How do you do it. Theyre always so sweet, carmalized and delicious....and RED!

I think you're referring to char-siu.

Soak boneless rib pieces overnight (longer, actually) in char-siu sauce.

Lum's Char-siu Sauce Manufacturer exporting direct from United States

Drain the sauce & boil it down, then reapply for another 12 hours.

Remove meat and cook over low-heat, wood fire. Using a webber with mesquite would be ideal.

Attachments

• IMG_4751.JPG
    IMG_4751.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 168
Whhooaaaa, fellas!

Back the truck up for a minute, please.

There's Char-Siu, and then there's Kau-Yuk.
Both are chinese red pork, but they are made differently.

I suspect that this "wet" char-siu, might actually be kau-Yuk.
Which one is the O/P referring to?

You guys are making me hungry. When I lived in Hawaii char su was ubiquitious, a bit was in almost every batch of noodles or rice, not to mention in the buns (I think it was called mana pua).

Ha, ha!
Yup, You're absolutely right!

I live in Kailua.
Manapua is actually called "Char-siu Bao" if you order it in chinese restaurant.

Last edited:
im down with the char siu. i make it randomly, every few months. It keeps getting better, thanks for the ideas.

Back
Top Bottom