Cinco de Mayo Enchiladas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

New Englander

Assistant Cook
DOES anyone have a recipe for mole sauce?
ENCHILADA RECIPE
First acquire some chile powder.
Buy a few large bags of chili power 1 extra hot 14 oz (scoville 20,000 to 80,000) and 3 regular chile powders 14 oz (scoville 1000-2000). I get these at an Indian spice store in town. OK, this was a lot more chile powder than I needed.
Or buy regular chile powder like mccormick (scoville 1000-2000) and add
ground cayenne (scoville 30,000) to add some heat.
To make 2 cups of HOT enchilada sauce
1-1/2 C chile power (
1/4 C cumin
2 T cayenne
(I use about a 1/2 C cayenne for a 9000 scoville combined. I lived in New Mexico)
1 T black pepper
1 t salt
1/4 C oil
bring to a simmmer and add water to thin to a watery consistency.
take off heat and place in a large flat bowl.

Take a package of 24 corn tortillas and cook them in oil on med-high heat.
It may spatter (water and oil don't mix) keep cold water and a cool rag available for spatter burns and be careful.
When the edge of the corn tortilla bubbles the oil is ready to cook the tortillas. Using two large forks gently, so they don't tear, swish tham around in the oil until the tortillas bubble a bit, then flip them over and remove when they become a little solid. Place them into the enchilada sauce and flip. Let them sit in the enchilada sauce so they soften.
cook about 12 shells at a time.
The filling.
Each enchilada shell gets
2 thin strips of lettuce or spinach
cooked ground beef of chicken with onion (optional) jalepeno, green pepper, freshly chopped dried hot peppers (scoville 1000-5000) the more types the better.
Some paper-thin tomato slices
a dash of franks red hot sauce (tangy flavor)
some shedded cheese (extra sharp cheddar for example)
The enchiladas are rolled up and placed in a large greased pan.
I use three pans.
On top place some more tomato slices, cheese and left over meat/lettuce
cook in the oven at 325 for 25 minutes. (The meat was pre-cooked in a frying pan so just warm them up and melt the cheese).
Serve with guacamole, sour cream, a side of enchilada sauce and a cool drink.
enjoy, -Chris

Attachments

• AA-enchilada100.jpg
    AA-enchilada100.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 600
There is this kid of Latino descent I have classes with at the college. He is planning to bring homemade tamales to class on Monday. I am gonna try to wrangle his grandmother's recipe outta him.

There is this kid of Latino descent I have classes with at the college. He is planning to bring homemade tamales to class on Monday. I am gonna try to wrangle his grandmother's recipe outta him.

I looooooooovee tamales! Would love to see how the recipe is different from the one I have.

Well, for good or ill, I was hopin' to post a tamale recipe from a classmate's grandmother.
As I suspected, she will not part with a family secret recipe. The tamales were quite good, by the way. Oh well, I reckon we can't have everythin'.

Well, for good or ill, I was hopin' to post a tamale recipe from a classmate's grandmother.
As I suspected, she will not part with a family secret recipe. The tamales were quite good, by the way. Oh well, I reckon we can't have everythin'.

The one I have tastes just like the one they serve at a very nice Mexican-themed restaurant owned by two Bolivian sisters. Do you know Luna Maya, on Colley Avenue near 21st Street? Yummy, but always very busy. They're very popular.

The one I have tastes just like the one they serve at a very nice Mexican-themed restaurant owned by two Bolivian sisters. Do you know Luna Maya, on Colley Avenue near 21st Street? Yummy, but always very busy. They're very popular.
I 'spect we will be headed that way in a week or two for a visit to Mrs Hoot's sister who lives off Military Highway on Sellger Drive. I think I will see if we can find Luna Maya. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom