Clarified Brown Butter? Anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cave76

Washing Up
I saw a recipe on a cooking show yesterday that used clarified brown butter.

Has anyone ever made this? I make my ghee in a slow cooker and would prefer to make the Brown Butter Ghee in the slow cooker also.

I'm not sure your slow cooker gets hot enough to brown butter. In a pan, melt and simmer the butter until it browns to the color you want then strain it through cheesecloth or similar and you have clarified brown butter.

@ Andy and Kayelle------I think my slow cooker, set on high, will brown butter. I may just have to 'waste' a pound of unsalted butter to experiment. And try to be careful I don't overheat the butter, but in a slow cooker that may be preventable.

After asking the experts here I turned to Google:

"The intensity of flavor of the clarified butter depends on how long you cook the melted butter. If you continue to cook the butter once it has melted and separated, the milk solids at the bottom of the saucepan will start to brown. Once the milk solids turn a golden brown color the clarified butter will take on a rich fragrant nutty flavor that is called "noisette butter" or "beurre noisette" which is a French name for "brown butter" or "hazelnut butter". (So named because the the butter turns the color of noisettes (hazelnuts)). However, be very careful not to overheat the butter or it will become bitter tasting."

Clarified Butter - Joyofbaking.com

I thought that was the difference between plain clarified butter and ghee. I may be mistaken.

I looked at Google and found this:

Clarified Butter:

Also called drawn butter. Regular butter is made up of butterfat, milk solids, and water. Clarified butter is the translucent golden butterfat left over after the milk solids and water are removed. In short, clarified butter is just butter that contains only pure butterfat. It has a higher smoke point than regular butter, thus allowing you to be able to cook at higher temperatures, and won't spoil as quickly.

Butter Ghee:

Clarified butter and ghee are not the same. Ghee is clarified butter that has been cooked longer to remove all the moisture, and the milk solids are browned (caramelized) in the fat and then strained out. This gives a rich nutty taste. Ghee has a longer shelf life, both refrigerated and at room temperature. It is traditionally used in Indian cuisine."

Butter Ghee Recipe, Clarified Butter Recipe, How To Make Clarified Butter, How To Make Butter Ghee

I always thought ghee and clarified butter were the same. Silly me

But I'm still confuse because when I make ghee in my slow cooker I don't let it brown (usually) and I call that ghee.

So, I'm gonna call MY ghee----- ghee OR clarified butter. Until I brown some then I'll call it browned ghee.

That's my decision and I'm sticking with it. :LOL::LOL:

Different slow cookers have different temperatures. I'm sure I could brown clarified butter in one of my "slow" cookers and probably not in the other one.

You could always brown the butter and then filter the milk solids out of it. Butter separates when you are browning it.

I still do not see the difference between clarified butter and ghee. According to your post, clarified butter is butterfat with the water and solids removed and ghee is clarified butter that has been cooked longer. That is what I call browned clarified butter. How is one different than the other?

Why do you use a slow cooker to make your ghee? It is so quick and easy to make it on the stovetop. What benefit do you get from making it in the slowcooker?

I used to make what I called browned clarified butter all the time. The trick is to not take your eyes off it because it goes from browned to burnt very quickly. Also, it is hard to do in a non-stick pan as it is hard to see the color change. A silver colored pan is much easier.

I still do not see the difference between clarified butter and ghee. According to your post, clarified butter is butterfat with the water and solids removed and ghee is clarified butter that has been cooked longer. That is what I call browned clarified butter. How is one different than the other?...

You explained the difference nicely. Ghee is a type of clarified butter that has been cooked longer, resulting in a darker color and different flavor.

So are ghee and clarified brown butter synonymous? According to the post Cave make they are not the same thing. Was that just saying that non-browned clarified butter and ghee are not the same, but once you brown it they are the same? This question (is ghee and clarified butter the same) seems to come up every few years and I have never felt like I have gotten a grasp on the actual answer.

I still do not see the difference between clarified butter and ghee. According to your post, clarified butter is butterfat with the water and solids removed and ghee is clarified butter that has been cooked longer. That is what I call browned clarified butter. How is one different than the other?...

You explained the difference nicely. Ghee is a type of clarified butter that has been cooked longer, resulting in a darker color and different flavor.

I still do not see the difference between clarified butter and ghee. According to your post, clarified butter is butterfat with the water and solids removed and ghee is clarified butter that has been cooked longer. That is what I call browned clarified butter. How is one different than the other?

Why do you use a slow cooker to make your ghee? It is so quick and easy to make it on the stovetop. What benefit do you get from making it in the slowcooker?

I used to make what I called browned clarified butter all the time. The trick is to not take your eyes off it because it goes from browned to burnt very quickly. Also, it is hard to do in a non-stick pan as it is hard to see the color change. A silver colored pan is much easier.

That post was quoted from the Internet---- and you know that the next hit at Google will say they're the same! :LOL:

I clarified (pun intended) my position later in that post:
Quote:
"So, I'm gonna call MY ghee----- ghee OR clarified butter. Until I brown some then I'll call it browned ghee."

GB, you asked me "Why do you use a slow cooker to make your ghee? " then you answered your question in the next paragraph:

"The trick is to not take your eyes off it".

Someday when you're old and grey you'll understand my reason better. :cool:

But you have some good points for others.

If your slow cooker is hot enough to brown it then it is hot enough to burn it so I still don't see the reason you use.

If your slow cooker is hot enough to brown it then it is hot enough to burn it so I still don't see the reason you use.

That's O.K. :)

But if you really want an explanation:

Pick one:

1. "Because it's there" ~George Mallory

2. I have to justify buying one so I use it for a lot of things

3. It was on sale and now I have to use it (See Point #2)

4. A friend makes her ghee in her slow cooker and I just had to do it. Her last name is Jones.

5. How silly would I look if I bought a slow cooker and didn't use it like the Internet said I could?

OK. I was just wondering if I was missing something. Seemed like you were saying there might be a benefit over stovetop. I now understand it is just personal choice.

ok. I was just wondering if i was missing something. Seemed like you were saying there might be a benefit over stovetop. I now understand it is just personal choice.

bazinga!

Reactions: GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
Ghee is a type of clarified butter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76
Clarified butter and ghee are not the same

Originally Posted by GB
This is were I am confused. Which is it?

Ghee is a subset of clarified butter.

All ghee is clarified butter but not all clarified butter is ghee.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom