Cool Chinese videos from farm to table.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
Those were interesting videos Larry. Thanks for sharing them. I especially liked the one with the bamboo bbq.

Oh My!! I enjoyed watching them so much, and they were so beautifully done.
Fascinating!!! How I would have loved to have been there, but it felt like I was.

Thanks Larry!

I figured it was some kinda potato ( sweet or regular). either way, I thought it was a great idea ( assuming it cooked enough to eat, or it was just for function)

I agree, those were cool videos. Impressive videos. I enjoy watching them use their grinding stone to make soybean milk or grind up various stuff.

There was another video/ episode I saw that was all about corn. Not sure if it was the same girl or someone else ( id have to watch it again), but damn does she work hard. My hands and back hurt just watching her plant, tend, harvest, prepare, cook, clean ...

Not sure if its legit or just choreographed for the video , but either way , im impressed .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZsfEwr9i6I

I agree, those were cool videos. Impressive videos. I enjoy watching them use their grinding stone to make soybean milk or grind up various stuff.

I already priced out one of those grinding stones. Im tempted to get on, just have to find a site that I feel comfortable ordering one from. My wife already yelled at me " you have enough crap, where are you going to put it ...". Im a sucker for tools and gadgets, what can I say :LOL:

( She has so much extra Yarn she's bought over the years, she cant talk, My daughter mover out a few months ago, and she turned that room into her ' Yarn room' , and I never complained :ohmy: )

Great videos! I remember a show of Andrew Zimmern (I think?) in Malaysia, in which they used bamboo tubes for cooking over a fire, when they were out in a jungle.

Last edited:
I already priced out one of those grinding stones. Im tempted to get on, just have to find a site that I feel comfortable ordering one from. My wife already yelled at me " you have enough crap, where are you going to put it ...". Im a sucker for tools and gadgets, what can I say [emoji38]

( She has so much extra Yarn she's bought over the years, she cant talk, My daughter mover out a few months ago, and she turned that room into her ' Yarn room' , and I never complained :ohmy: )
I've been meaning to tell you about a food historian I follow. She lived in Mexico for many years and did research and wrote about the foods tools they used to prepare them. She wrote this essay about what it was like to grind corn by hand. Mexican women spent several hours every day grinding enough corn to make enough tortillas to feed everyone in the family. Getting a village mill changed their lives forever.

Men’s Labor (Farming) vs Women’s Labor (Cooking): Tortillas
http://www.rachellaudan.com/2011/12...-womens-labor-cooking-the-case-of-mexico.html

And a follow-up after a reader questioned her conclusion.
How Long did Traditional Mexican Grinding Take?
https://www.rachellaudan.com/2011/12/more-on-grinding-maize.html

I've been meaning to tell you about a food historian I follow. She lived in Mexico for many years and did research and wrote about the foods tools they used to prepare them. She wrote this essay about what it was like to grind corn by hand. Mexican women spent several hours every day grinding enough corn to make enough tortillas to feed everyone in the family. Getting a village mill changed their lives forever.

Men’s Labor (Farming) vs Women’s Labor (Cooking): Tortillas
Men’s Labor (Farming) vs Women’s Labor (Cooking): Tortillas – Rachel Laudan

And a follow-up after a reader questioned her conclusion.
How Long did Traditional Mexican Grinding Take?
https://www.rachellaudan.com/2011/12/more-on-grinding-maize.html

Thanks, Ill definitely check those out. I love stuff like that.

Back
Top Bottom