Corn or Flour Tortillas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:)Corazon,I have made sopaipillas a few times sometimes they are perfect and sometimes they are not.One trick I learned somewhere is to stretch the pieces a little before you drop them in the oil its supposed to make them puff up better. By the way the green chilis are roasting all over New Mexico as we speak.Im not gonna screw up this year and wait too long to get a bunch before they are all gone.

I live is a predominantly Latino neighborhood. I can buy fresh, still warm tortillas, made by professionals, within walking distance of my condo, for less than a nickle apiece. Why should I go to all that trouble for a half dozen when they make thousands every day?

As for corn vs flour, although corn tortillas are traditional and were being used in native cuisine long before the Spaniards ever brought wheat to North America, I prefer flour tortillas in everything except maybe tacos.

JP, you have to remember that Mexican cuisine changes drastically as you move from east to west and from south to north. The Mexican food in Colorado is different than that in Las Cruces, and by the time you get to California, the green sauce is milder than the red sauce and there are no sopapillas. In New Orleans, they dust sopapillas with powdered sugar and call them beignets!

Last edited:
It's food, for crying out loud! Do what you like best. I, for one, promise not the call the tortilla police.

Unless you have been personally charged with the single handed preservation of the Mexican culinary tradition:ohmy:, It's really not an issue.

BTW, I don't want to tell you what happened to the last person who used the word Yankee when referring to me. I'm from Boston, after all.:mad:

isn`t those soapapillas arn`t they like indian fry bread. I know my mother use to make those when I was a little kid. with my dad, little brother, and little sister, my mother could`nt make them fast enough. thats when my dad taught me to eat sorgum molasses
and homemade butter. that will take you back for a while.

I have to make my own over here---- why didn't Genghis Khan ever conquer a people who made them???? He conquered just about everyone else. :) Anyway in Houston you can also get them while still hot off the shelf and our nieghborhood Kroger makes them while you wait. As for the corn vs. flour tortilla enchilada debate just call them something else and they won't taste funny. :)

:)Corazon,I have made sopaipillas a few times sometimes they are perfect and sometimes they are not.One trick I learned somewhere is to stretch the pieces a little before you drop them in the oil its supposed to make them puff up better. By the way the green chilis are roasting all over New Mexico as we speak.Im not gonna screw up this year and wait too long to get a bunch before they are all gone.
I've never made sopapillas, do you make them from scratch or do you get the box mix? I should give it a whirl. Ah, green chile. My mom came up last month and brought us some. Verrrry tasty to say the least. Do you jar or freeze yours?

Just another note (on topic of course;) )
We also use corn tortillas for tacos. We don't generally fry them in this house though. We either heat them in a ziploc in the microwave to lock in the moisture (white corn) and for yellow corn tortillas we spray a little oil on both sides and heat them up on the grill.

:)I freeze my green chili got 3 big burlap bags of medium.I make sopaipillas from scratch I will try to find the recipe for you.

I was watching Emeril a bit a go, and he fried some tortilla strips for a dish he as making. It made me think about Doritos….tortilla chips. Anyone actually cut up corn tortillas and fry them as chips? Ever spice them up with something like powered cheese (do they make that….mac and cheese pack comes to mind) like a Dorito? How were they? I may have to start making my own!

I've baked some in the oven a few times but never fried them. I rubbed some olive oil on them and then sprinkled different batches with all different types of spices. They came out really good. There was a Mexican restaurant in NYC I used to go that gave you home made fried tortilla chips with your order. They would put a bunch of them loose in a brown paper bag and the bottom of the bag would be all oily and greasy. It was great! But not something I could have too often unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom