Cornish Pastys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I believe that I have posted this previously. A member mentioned on another thread that she was still looking for a good Cornish pasty recipe. I hope this meets the need.

Ingredients:
Pastry crust:
2 cups AP flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup lard
3 tbs water
Combine and mix, as for a pie crust. Pasty crust isn't as flaky as is pie crust, as the pasty is picked up and eaten by hand.
Filling;
1 cup diced, cooked potato
1/2 cup diced rutabaga
1 yellow onion, minced
3 cloves garlic, crushed or minced
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground, black pepper
1 lb. browned coarse-grind ground beef
3 tbsp. melted botter
Combine filling ingredient in a large bowl. Stir gently until all is mixed well.

Roll pastry dough into 10 inch circles. These need to be thicker than pie crust. Place 1/2 cup of filling onto 1/2 of the crust. Brush the crust edge with egg wash. Fold crust in half, over the filling. Roll the crust edges inward. Place the uncooked pasty onto a parchment covered cookie sheet
Brush with egg wash. Repeat until dough and filling are used up. Bake at 350'F. for 45 minutes, or until lightly browned. Remove and serve hot, with beef gravy, or ketchup.

I've been known to make a dough snake to divide the pasty into 2 parts. I put the savory filling on the larger half., an a fruit pie filling on the other side. You get the main coarse, and desert at the same time
Just don't put ketchup or gravy over the desert side. Rathe, brush soft butter over the. Pasty. Enjoy.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom