Danish Apple Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

concreteman

Assistant Cook
I love Danish Apple Cake but have not made it in several years.
Start with homemade apple sauce adding white sugar , cinnamon and nutmeg to taste. I like mine a little tart. When the apple sauce is cool mash into tiny chunks, not quite mush but close. When the apple sauce is cooling take the graham crumbs and add them to melted butter, enough to make the crumbs sticky.
When everything is cool take a large bowl and layer the graham crumbs and then the apple sauce in several layers topping it with the apple sauce and then add real whipped cream. Top the whipping cream with a little fruit jam if you like. Put in the fridge for several hours.

Sorry I have never measured anything, just made it by ear. Just made the graham crumbs and apple sauce layers a little thicker or thinner as needed

Last edited:
Are you part Danish? That's pretty authentic, but in Denmark (and at my house) that is made with rugbrød (heavy, 100% rye bread) crumbs toasted in butter.

My father was Danish, came from Denmark around 1921. I got the recipe as a kid from an elderly woman who lived across from us.

Do you cook any other Danish food? Do you know where in Denmark he was from? Have you ever visited? My mum was Danish, from Copenhagen. My dad was Saami from Sweden (or as I sometimes say, from Swedish occupied Saepmie). They emigrated from Stockholm in 1946. I lived in Denmark for five years as a young adult. There are a lot of Danish recipes that I really enjoy.

No I don't cook anything else Danish. I used to like the Danish red cabbage my mother used to make but I don;t know what she did. Even the local Danish restaurants don't seem to do it right.
I have never gone to Denmark and my father went back once in his 70's. My grandfather owned a large factory that was turned into making munitions during the war and he was killed when the factory was hit by a train that jumped the track. As I know no Danish , other than a couple of words, I have had no interest in going.

That sounds better then what I have had locally, all you can taste is red cabbage and vinegar. I think my mother used to use something called Raspa ( sp ) juice but I have never seen it. I'm going to have to save your recipe for Christmas.

That sounds better then what I have had locally, all you can taste is red cabbage and vinegar. I think my mother used to use something called Raspa ( sp ) juice but I have never seen it. I'm going to have to save your recipe for Christmas.

The "Raspa" was probably "ribs", the b in that sounds a bit like a p. That's red currant, as in the red currant jelly that I list as an ingredient, if you can find it. I get the berries or the sometimes the jelly from my mother-in-law. She has some red currant bushes in her yard.

I found a small Danish restaurant about 60KM north-east of me that I took my two daughters and SIL too for a brunch. They all loved it ( except the red cabbage ) and have said that once Covid-19 has ended they want to take me for a dinner there. My ex-wife can't cook anything Danish so they thought it was a real treat eating real Danish food.

That's cool. There aren't any Danish restos around here. But, once we don't need to do the social distancing anymore, the Danish Club of Montreal will resume their monthly luncheons and I am eager to go.

Back
Top Bottom