Dende oil (palm oil) anyone use it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
My friend from Brazil and I are always exchanging things we might think the other has never tried before. This package I got dende oil.. Oil of palm, very bright orange/ yellow color with a distinct taste. She is not much of a cook, so she is not of much help which is why I rely on my friends here. Has anyone ever used it before, and if so, for what ?? Remember, Im vegetarian, so vegetarian Ideas, or ideas that can be easily converted to veggie are appreciated

I've never seen it sold, and I thought it's what people didn't like in processed food.
Sorry, no help here, Larry. (I just didn't want you to think you were invisible)

In the Pacific islands, a lot of rain forest is been destroyed to plant palm oil plantations. Palm oil is now a major constituent in mixed vegetable oils and widely used for margarines & processed foods. In Borneo the orangatans are nearly out of their natural habitat due this policy.

I make sure I by vegetable oil from other sources and check margarines that they are not made from palm oil.

Thank you. Now that you've stated why, I agree. But as I buy very little processed-premade food, I haven't paid very much attention.
Forgive my ignorance.
I will pay closer attention.
Thanks for turning on the light.

Yes cooked with it a long long time back as a teen in India. It was very common. The color is deep yellowish orange.

We used it in all Indian cooking vegetarian or non-veg. I don't think 20 years ago we paid too much attention to any oils health or environmental issues.

It was very popular in India. Plus it added a nice color to Indian gravies. It has a strong flavor that complements foods that are laden with spices.

Check out the amount of rainforest (worldwide) cleared and being cleared to grow palm oil. Check out the number of species which have become endangered by this practice. Check out the contribution this practice has made, is making and will make in the future in terms of global warming. IMHO, this is one product to boycott, although much is used in food processing, which make it a little difficult but a good reason to cook from scratch!. When you`ve done this, I suspect you`ll go back olive oil, corn oil, butter etc.

All the best,
Archiduc

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom