Dim Sum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Linda0818

Head Chef
I'm a fan of Dim Sum. Or I should say becoming a fan of Dim Sum. I'm kind of new to it. A new Cantonese restaurant opened up close to where I work and I've been having a field day trying things from their Dim Sum menu.

Two of my favorites would be the Pea Sprout Dumplings (amazing) and the Pork & Shrimp Shumai. The scallop dumplings are also very good. I've even tried the braised chicken feet (ok but not something I'd order again). I also enjoyed the baked egg custard bun (SUPER amazing) for a dessert item and the stuffed rice rolls are very good as well.

I'm wondering if any of you enjoy Dim Sum, what your favorites are and if you've tried to make it at home.

I love dim sum! When I used to go to NY on a regular basis, to stock up on ingredients (before things were available everywhere, and even Philly didn't have much!) a friend and I would go to a corner restaurant that served dim sum, and you knew it was good, because we were the only non-Chinese people in there! The waitresses couldn't really tell us what things were, we just guessed, and they stacked up the plates, steaming containers, and bowls on the table, and when you were done, they counted them, and that was your bill! Some friends and I used to have a lot of dim sum nights, but they've moved away, and it's not the same for one or two people.

We used to make dumplings - jao tse, and variations - by the hundreds, so we could have some on other Chinese food nights, and we had that down to a science, with a perfect dough (about 1/8 starch, so it would stretch easily, and seal), and one guy would roll it out in my pasta maker, to the next to the last thickness, his wife, daughter, and I would cut them, fill them, and place them on a sheet, to go in the freezer.

We always had the base for dip sauce on hand, in a bottle labeled Dump Sauce. Just equal amounts of soy sauce and chenkiang vinegar, plus some sugar (2 tsp to 1/2 c sauce), and minced ginger and garlic, and variations, depending on what else was being dunked. Now I just make as needed.

I really enjoy dim sum, but I have no idea what anything is called. We usually go with friends in a fair sized group and order lots of different things.

Back
Top Bottom