Dim Sum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
I have had a craving for several foods lately - no I'm not preggers, too late for that anymore - among them dim sum/pot stickers. So, after a hard morning's work outside, I just couldn't resist even though I knew it would take several hours of more work. Pork and dough recipe from Ming's Blue Ginger cookbook and turkey is a riff of a Wolfgang Puck seafood dim sum recipe.

Turkey, corn, orange bell pepper, garlic, cilantro, soy sauce, egg, napa cabbage filling

ready_to_shape_turk_dim_sum.jpg

shaped dim sum

shaped_turk_dim_sum.jpg

pork, napa cabbage, ginger, sesame oil, soy sauce filling

ready_to_shape_pork_dim_sum.jpg

pork-filled shaped and ready to go

shaped_pork_dim_sum.jpg

Cooking both

cooking_dim_sum.jpg

Plated and ready to eat with 2 dipping sauces, spicy sesame oil and ginger, though only 1 is shown since the spicy sesame is my fave.

plated_dim_sum.jpg

Last edited:
They were yummy, got too full last night to finish the last few of mine so I had a pre-breakfast snack..... and there's enough for another meal in the freezer, made 4 dozen last night between the 2 batches.

They were yummy, got too full last night to finish the last few of mine so I had a pre-breakfast snack..... and there's enough for another meal in the freezer, made 4 dozen last night between the 2 batches.

I guess it's time to get the extra table out and go into production mode.
Today I'm making ettouffe', but that Dim Sum is calling me.

Just a tip, I make my little dough balls then use the tortilla press. I still have to use the rolling pin to get the dough as thin as I like it but using the press is a HUGE time saver.

Splendid job 49, I luuuuuuurve pot stickers I could all those war tip in one go.What did you make the dipping sauce out of?

What did you make the dipping sauce out of?

spicy sesame - soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, sambal olek, green onions.

ginger - soy sauce, chinese black vinegar, minced ginger, garlic, touch of sugar, red pepper flakes, green onions.

Craig loves them too though I don't think even as hungry as he was last night that he could've downed them all. LOL

I just wish they didn't take so long to make, we'd have them a lot more often.

Last edited:
I like to dip mine in Thai sweet chili sauce and a little soy sauce.

I have a dumpling press, because I cannot get the edges pretty without one.

Anna Nguyen's Asian Dumplings has great recipes.

I think a dumpling making party sounds like a blast! Many hands make light work, and everyone could take a couple dozen home.

They look awesome!

The first time I ever saw dim sum potstickers made from scratch was on Ming's TV show when his mother was guest chef. I promptly went and bought a tapered rolling pin and tried to make my own dough. Yuk! I tried a couple more times, and gave up.

If you have that recipe, and can maybe offer a few more tips, I'm willing to try again. I don't have a tortilla press, and I'm wondering if I might be able to rig something... maybe just give a dough ball a good flat whack with the bottom of my frying pan... and then roll like you do to finish shape and thickness.

They look awesome!

The first time I ever saw dim sum potstickers made from scratch was on Ming's TV show when his mother was guest chef. I promptly went and bought a tapered rolling pin and tried to make my own dough. Yuk! I tried a couple more times, and gave up.

If you have that recipe, and can maybe offer a few more tips, I'm willing to try again. I don't have a tortilla press, and I'm wondering if I might be able to rig something... maybe just give a dough ball a good flat whack with the bottom of my frying pan... and then roll like you do to finish shape and thickness.

Pasta machine?

I'm with Spork. I too would dearly love to make some of these. Any recipes or tips would be wonderful, and I'm even willing to buy a tortilla press or a dumpling press like SG has. Yours look sooooooooo good!!

KN7BNUfin1C_-PcxXeUNx3TQpyMPVBu-GSHG26Hf6EJ3ZXpA1dggVf72pFZzYKNXwsZ-evj2Bv97Xdze_ywPF2433tbZmUU1wh8ff9LBOPmGeQkKc03kJ6z2pSHJx9vBHfZNri42wlt6EaLQQ5RpS_oJzoKwQuOTJRcS0w
This is what my dumpling press looks like. I roll the dough out with a rolling pin, then cut it into 3 inch circles. Lay the circles onto the press, put a little filling in the center, then close the press.

I have a ravioli maker that I use sometimes, too. Those dumplings are smaller and nice for soup.

A pasta maker might work to roll out the dough.

The recipe I use for the dough and the pork dumplings, as well as the spicy dipping sauce can be found here. I'll have to type out the other filling one later.

Pork and Ginger Pot Stickers Recipe : : Food Network

I just follow the dough directions to the letter, including the resting part, and use PLENTY of flour to keep it from sticking while I'm pressing and rolling to get my dough circles. One thing though that is in the book but not on the FN web site, you might not need all the water to get the dough ball to form.

Not sure if the YUCK comment applied to the taste of the raw dough, which is kinda like the glue paste I remember using in kindergarten. Thing is though you aren't supposed to be eating the raw dough and it really doesn't have much of a flavor even cooked, the filling and dipping sauce are the things you taste.

I usually make 10-12 dough circles at a time then fill/shape them and put them on a very well-floured silicone mat or parchment paper and cover with a damp cloth or paper towels. You have to keep your dough ball covered too as you don't want the dough to get dry and crack.

Cook as per the directions. I usually cook over medium to med-high heat in order to keep the bottoms from getting too brown.

For freezing, single layer, bag, and put in a place where they won't get beat up with other things getting thrown or put on top of them as the dough gets quite brittle when frozen and will break easily. Cook an extra 5 minutes or so at slightly lower heat when frozen.

I love dim sum!!! There's a restaurant in Austin called T&S seafood and they are my absolute favorite restaurant in the city. Their lunch specialty is ... Dim sum! I've got some frozen potstickers and maybe I should drag out my bamboo steamer ... ;)

Thanks so much MT for the details, tips and inspiration I'm going to find one of those dumpling presses SG. I've seen them but had no idea what they were for.
Ahhhhh, yet another gadget for my cramped gadget drawer.;)

I love dim sum!!! There's a restaurant in Austin called T&S seafood and they are my absolute favorite restaurant in the city. Their lunch specialty is ... Dim sum! I've got some frozen potstickers and maybe I should drag out my bamboo steamer ... ;)

Well you don't use a steamer for pot stickers. They get cooked in a skillet with oil so the bottoms get brown (i.e. "sticker") and then you throw in some water or broth to steam them to finish but no bamboo steamer is used.

Those cooked in a steamer are usually called Chinese dumplings or buns in English, not sure other than Siu Mai, what they Chinese names are.

But I agree about loving Dim Sum, whether they are steamed or fried-and-steamed!

Back
Top Bottom