Dina's Enchiladas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dina

Executive Chef
Alright! Andy(member from DC) has been raving about these as he's made them several times already and wanted me to post the recipe. So here it is for everyone. Hope you enjoy them as much as we do!

Beef Enchiladas
(My grandma used to make them this way except that she would grind all her spices by hand in a hand grinder called "molcajete" in Spanish. Mom says I cook just like my grandma. Who would know? I loved and admired my little o' lady.)

1 small onion, sliced in quarters with peel
2 large cloves fresh garlic, with peel
1 whole, fresh poblano pepper, with peel
3 whole, large tomatoes, with peel
extra virgin olive oil or olive oil
salt and pepper, to taste
1 large, dried chipotle pepper
1 large, dried Ancho pepper
1 large, dried New Mexican pepper
6 cups beef broth
1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
1 teaspoon ground cumin
16 corn tortillas
1/2 Canola oil for frying tortillas
3 cups Kraft grated Mexican cheese blend
8 oz. sour cream
1-2 cups shredded lettuce
2-3 sliced fresh tomatoes
1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro
1/2 cup chopped green onions
Preheat oven at 425 degrees. Place onions, garlic, poblano pepper and tomatoes in a shallow baking dish, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle salt and pepper and roast for 15 minutes. Place poblano and tomatoes in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap for 5-8 minutes to remove peel easily. Peel all roasted vegetables and place in blender.
Place dried peppers in a covered saucepan filled with boiling water for about15 minutes, or till peppers are tender. Drain the water and snap the tops off and remove seeds. Place chilies into the blender. Puree until smooth adding a little beef broth (1/2 cup) to puree easily. Brown ground beef on medium-high heat seasoning it with salt and pepper, add the pureed sauce, cumin, and the beef broth. Check for taste and add salt and pepper to your liking at this point. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Soak each tortilla in the hot oil. Turn over almost immediately, and fry for about 5 seconds on the other side. Stack them directly on top of each other until you have fried them all. This will keep the tortillas pliable until you are ready to fill them. Take one fried tortilla at a time, and fill with about 2 tablespoons of the cheese blend and 2 tablespoons of the beef with sauce. Roll up, and place seam side down on a (13X9") large baking dish until all tortillas have been filled. Pour the extra sauce over all the filled tortillas. Top with the rest of the cheese blend. Cover dish wth foil and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. Remove and serve and top the enchiladas in the following order: Start with a layer of sour cream, then a small handful of lettuce, three tomato slices, a sprinkle of fresh chopped cilantro, and finally, 1 tablespoon of green onions.

You can combine ground pork with beef if you wish, or substitute the meat for ground/minced turkey or chicken. The ground sirloin beef are the best though.

I can attest this is a delicious recipe. If you like enchiladas, you really should give it a try.

Back
Top Bottom