Do you have a taste for Filipino food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Atala108

Assistant Cook
My family and I are of mixed ethnicity Filipino/Latin (lots of interesting dishes)... I'll be posting several Filipino dishes that seem to be our favorites...

Have you tried any of the following or, do you have any Pinay recipes that you would like to share? I would love to have several recipes that for some reason I've had a hard time finding, like... Sisig, Chicharron Kawali, or Miki Bihon Pancit. Do you know how to make these? I'd apreciate the help.

In the meantime, here's my first entry into our pinoy/pinay online kitchen...

hope you enjoy it...

CHIKEN APRETADA
:chef:
What you will need...

1 lb. chicken
1 lb. pork fat skimmed
1 lb. butter
1 clove minced garlic
1/4 cup diced onion
1 stalk sliced celery
1/4 head chopped cabbage
1 peeled and chopped carrot
8 oz. Vermicelli
Accent seasoning mix to taste
salt and pepper to taste
:)
How to make it...
Boil chicken and pork (separately) Cook till done, save broth.
Remove chicken from bones and cut into 1/2-inch cubes.
Cut pork into 1/2-inch cubes.
Sauté garlic and onion in butter till onion is tender. Add meats to pan.
Add some broth and Accent and bring to boil.
Reduce heat to a simmer and add carrots.
Cook for 5 minutes then add celery and cabbage. Cook for 5 more minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Boil water for the vermicelli. Cook according to package directions then add to mixture in pan.
Add more broth to mixture if necessary and cook until heated through.
Adjust seasonings to taste.

I'm thinking they mean the fat is trimmed, Kayelle.

I make a pinoy pork bbq recipe I found on the web, Atala. I like it a lot.

My Dad used to make Chicken Adobo, which he claimed was a Filipino recipe...
Boil a cut up chicken in soy sauce, white vinegar, water as needed, with sliced
onion and garlic.
Dunno if it IS authentic, but by gosh I sure did like it!!!
Unfortunately, it was the meal I made him the night he died, and I haven't
made it since.

so I am up for more recipes, especially veggies! :)

I'm saddened to hear that, GrillingFool.
I also like chicken adobo, Filipino style.
I hope you will make it again, some day.

I think it was Zimmerman who noted that Filipino cuisine incorporates the taste sense of sour (vinegars) more than any other in the world.

My mom's parents were born in the Philippines and came over when they were in their 20's. They would always (and still do) serve weird Filipino/southern fusion "cuisine" when I went over to their house. Like collards with soy sauce in it. And leftover cornbread with coconut milk poured on top.

Filipino food is really a mix of different nationalities anyways, although it seems the most popular dishes are always Chinese or Spanish in origin. In my experience 9 out of 10 native-type Filipino dishes involve boiling fish and vegetables in a broth. Unlike the rest of Asia, the Philippines doesn't really have a ton of native spices and so (before colonization) they originally relied more on fermentation to add flavor to their food (like the heavy use of vinegar or fermented fish products) which I think makes Filipino food unique and special. Unlike other Asian nations, their food remained unaffected by the two huge culinary influences in Asia (China and India) until relatively recently. At least that's what I've read and it seems to be true.

There is a music festival in the next city every July. The ethnic foods are diverse and delicious. The Filipino food stand is the most popular by far year in and year out.

They serve a
Stir-Fried Rice Noodle dish called Pancit Guisado that's fantastic. I'm almost done with recreating the recipe for my own use.

There is a music festival in the next city every July. The ethnic foods are diverse and delicious. The Filipino food stand is the most popular by far year in and year out.

They serve a
Stir-Fried Rice Noodle dish called Pancit Guisado that's fantastic. I'm almost done with recreating the recipe for my own use.

You're gonna share aren't you Buddy?:flowers:

Hah! I'm good friends with the Filipino nurses at work...no wonder I can't lose weight!:ROFLMAO:
heheheh Fiona!

I LOVE good Filipino home cooking! Pancit Bihon, Bibingka, Chicken Adobo, Empanadas, Roast Pork and most of all LUMPIA! but for the past many years, living away from my Filipino friends in Chicago, Filipino restaurant food $ucks! It's greasy, heavy, and everything my friends' cooking was not.

I will really enjoy if you share your recipes, Atala, as I enjoy cooking Filipino food. :)

Filipino food really is a special treat. I have heard many Chefs make the false assumption that it is strictly taking dishes from other cuisines and making them their own, but to that I say you may have never really enjoyed true filipino cuisine. I am a professional Chef and my wife is from the Philippines. So I get to eat authentic filipino cuisine often. When we visit the Philippines we also travel throughout the country and many of the regions not only have their own language (Tagalog is the National Language), but their own dishes as well. I guess one way to compare it would be to take spanish dishes from Spain and compare them to the dishes of Mexico, they are that different. I look forward to this discussion. Salamat !

My apologies for the confusion, I was so excited to post my first recipe in the forum I think I was flying thru the entry... the recipe calls for (1lb. of trimmed pork fat) I'm going to be posting a recipe for Filipino Kare Kare which I know is going to be interesting to make if you're looking for a taste adventure....

Once again, sorry for the confusion....

Our top 10 favorite pinoy dishes...

TOP 10
ALLTIME FAVORITE FILIPINO RECIPES…
;)
I’ve put together what I consider to be a short list of the most popular and most asked for Filipino foods (asked for and demanded by my family)… I should mention that this list is no way in any particular order and if you enjoy Filipino food just as we do, It may be that your favorite dish did not make the list, but doesn’t mean that it shouldn’t be there…
If you would like the recipes for any dish in the following list, just let me know and I’ll go ahead and post it in forum.
I truly hope you enjoy making and tasting the following…
:cool:
PORK MENUDO​
KARE KARE​
PORK ADOBO​
MAHA BLANCO​
PUTO​
CHICKEN APRETADA (I’ve been promised the recipe)​
LECHON KAWALI​
SINIGANG NA BANGUS (MILK FISH SOUP)​
CRISPY PATA​
PANCIT CANTON​
:cool:
Let me go ahead and make another delicious entry to our Pinoy delacacies... I hope you like it...
Kare Kare
What you will need…

* 1/2 kilo beef (tender cut from sirloin or round) cut into chunk cubes
* 2 oxtail
* 2 pig hocks
* 7 cups water
* Pinch salt & pepper
* 1/2 cup oil
* 2 minced garlic heads
* 2 medium sized diced onions
* 3 cup ground nuts or 4 cups of peanut butter
* 1/4 cup ground toasted rice
* 5 pieces sliced eggplant
* 1 sliced banana bud
* 1 bundle string beans cut to 2" long

How to make it…

Take out the meat, set aside, reserve stock for later

Add oxtail, hocks and beef, pour in the stock, season with salt and pepper and add peanut butter

Simmer until well mixed and add the vegetables

Make sure vegetables are well cooked but not soggy

If you make it, let me know what you think, I'm sure you'll enjoy it...

I've already posted the recipe for Chicken Apretada... I've made a typo (again)... I've been promised the Lechon Kawali recipe (if you have one, please post)

I'm new here first post.. i to love Filipino food..i hope you share all your recipes. my favorite is dinardaraan pork blood served over white rice..

Back
Top Bottom