Do you know LÁNGOS? Perfect streetfood made at home.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cookwewill

Senior Cook
Langos is originally a Hungarian dish, that was made from the same dough as their bread. Basically, they would shape the leftover dough into round pieces, just like a pizza and then bake them in the bread oven, while it was still heating up for the main bread baking.

These days, Langos is an extremely popular street food type in many Euopean countries, but it's so easy to make that many people prepare it at home too.

It's still basically just simple fried dough, but the recipe has been modified a bit so you can find several variations of it being used. For example, the one I'm using has sour cream as one of the ingredients.

Langos is serves topped with a variety of savory toppings, such as garlic oil, cheese, tartar sauce, ketchup...

When finished, it looks like this:

Axx7cdG.jpg

Dough ingredients:

1kg (8 cups) all purpose wheat flour
1 cube fresh yeast or 1 pack of dried
250ml (1 cup) sour cream
400ml (1 ¾ cups) milk
2 teaspoons sugar
3 teaspoons salt
oil for frying

Instructions:

1. Activate the yeast first. Mix a cup of warm milk with the yeast and 2 teaspoons of sugar.
2. Once the yeast is ready, add the flour, rest of the milk, sour cream and 3 teaspoons of salt. Mix by hand or in a mixer for 7-10 minutes.
3. Let the Langos dough rise until it doubles in size, it should take about 1.5 hours.
4. Put some oil on your hands and grab a handful of the dough, oil will prevent it from sticking.
5. Using your hands or a roller, form the Langos dough into a round shape, similar to a small pizza.
6. Heat up oil in a larger pan to 180-200C or 350F. The pan must be bigger than the Langos and deep enough to safely take at least ½ inch of oil.
7. Fry about 2 minutes per side, or until the color turns golden brown.
8. Place finished Langos on a paper towel so it absorbs the excess fat.
9. Serve as soon as cold enough to handle, with the toppings of your choice. My favorite combination is garlic oil, grated cheese, tartar sauce and ketchup.

And one more photo from a different angle :)

vLfmIXc.jpg

Have you ever tried this dish? If so, did you like it? :)

Cheers,
Matej.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is basically the same thing as Native American Fry Bread, with which my family is very familiar with. Tt's fry bread if leavened with baking soda and buttermilk, or with baking powder. We call it scones if leavened with yeast (not really scones, but that's what my wife, and my DIL's family calls it).

In any case, it's popular in my family.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

This is basically the same thing as Native American Fry Bread, with which my family is very familiar with. Tt's fry bread if leavened with baking soda and buttermilk, or with baking powder. We call it scones if leavened with yeast (not really scones, but that's what my wife, and my DIL's family calls it).

In any case, it's popular in my family.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Indeed, just looked it up and it looks almost identical, small differences in teh dough but yeah, it's pretty much the same thing :) It's funny how you can find so similar dishes with different origins.

Fascinating! First time I´d ever heard of it.
What would it traditionally be topped with in Hungary?

Garlic and salt were the traditional toppings, then some cheese or sour cream. These days it's also tartar sauce, ketchup... basically whatever you prefer :)

Last edited:
Sounds good to me!
The only Hungarian dishes I´ve ever cooked are gulyás (goulash) and a delightful dish called Lecsó(?) - because I was working out a Food Course with beer,

Sounds good to me!
The only Hungarian dishes I´ve ever cooked are gulyás (goulash) and a delightful dish called Lecsó(?) - because I was working out a Food Course with beer,

Goulash is awesome and we do Lečo (Slovak name for it) too, it's basically peppers, tomatoes and onions sauteed in a pan. You can also can it for later use. And when I'm cooking it I also add a bunch of eggs into the pan.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom