"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2020, 05:07 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Egg Roll in a Bowl, AKA "Fancy Crack Slaw"

My "Egg Roll in a Bowl, aka Fancy Crack Slaw"

This recipe is by request from the dinner thread last night. It took me longer type it up, than to cook it.

You will need a wok or a large sauté pan,(at least 3 qt). A large bowl for the veggies and also a small bowl for the sauce.

1 lb of ground beef, or ground pork, or raw shelled shrimp. (I used beef last night)

Vegetables…
14 oz. of shredded cabbage
2-4 cups combined of veggies of your choice:
The single amounts are up to you to make up the 2-4 cups of veggies..

(I used a 4 cup mix of the following:)

Bell Peppers, sliced (I used both red and green)
Sliced green onion, reserving the dark green part for garnish
Bias sliced celery
Grated or julienned carrot
1 can of baby corn pieces, well rinsed. (I can get them at the $ store)
Fresh bean sprouts

Stir Fry Sauce…
¼ Cup low sodium Soy Sauce
¼ Cup toasted sesame oil
3 Tbs. rice wine vinegar
2 tsp. Fish Sauce
2 tsp. honey
1 tsp. grated fresh ginger
1 grated garlic clove
2 tsp. corn starch

Instructions:
Prepare all the vegetables and put them into the large bowl.
In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients for the stir fry sauce.
Cook your ground meat, drain into a colander and reserve. If you are using shrimp, lightly cook them in a little oil till just barely pink. Remove from the pan and set aside.
Add a little cooking oil (I prefer Peanut oil) to the wok or Sauté pan.
Stir fry the vegetables to your liking and then add back your protein to the pan.
Stir the sauce again to make sure the corn starch is incorporated. Pour all over the ingredients and stir till the sauce is slightly thickened.
Serve topped with reserved green onion tops, sesame seeds, sliced almonds, and Chinese parsley (cilantro) For me, it’s also a bottle of Sriracha and bottle of wine on the table.
P.S.
If you’re feeling energetic, it would be extra special with a side of Jasmine rice, or Dragon Lady Sesame Noodles.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 05:16 PM   #2
Master Chef

You know the column on the side which shows new posts...

this thread drops the "slaw" oops?

of course, I couldn't get here fast enough!
Old 05-09-2020, 05:45 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
You know the column on the side which shows new posts...

this thread drops the "slaw" oops?

of course, I couldn't get here fast enough!
Im a little slow today, took me a few minutes to get it

But its right up my warped sense of humor ally
larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 06:02 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm even slower than you Larry. Now I'm "cracking up"...

Old 05-09-2020, 06:12 PM   #5
Master Chef

oh dear.... does this show my rather nasty constant train of thought?
Old 05-09-2020, 06:13 PM   #6
Master Chef

Good stuff!!!

You can make a tasty emergency shelf version using a 14.5 ounce can of well-drained and rinsed sauerkraut instead of the fresh cabbage.
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 06:32 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Yet one more great idea of yours Bea!!

Old 05-09-2020, 06:41 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Duhhh, I forgot to include the picture from last night.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P5080027.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	40873  

Old 05-09-2020, 07:30 PM   #9
Certified/Certifiable

Similar, but different:
Excerpt copied from my cookbook, "You Can Be A Great Cook With Poultry"
Please respect my Copyright.

Ingredients:
2 lbs. cut up frying chicken
1/4 cup sliced and halved water chestnuts
1/4 cup coarsely chopped bamboo shoots
1/4 cup diced onion
2 stalks celery, sliced
½ green pepper, chopped (optional)
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. Ground ginger
2 tbs. Soy sauce
scant dash of Chinese 5 spice powder
2 cups fresh bean sprouts
1 package egg roll skins
1 cup peanut oil + 2 tbs.
Skin and bone the chicken. Place the skin and bones in two cups of boiling water and cover. Turn heat down to simmer. While the chicken skins and bones are cooking, finely dice the chicken meat into 1/4 inch pieces.
Heat 2 tbs. of the peanut oil in a steel wok, or large heavy skillet (I prefer seasoned cast iron if I’m not using my wok). Add the chicken and half of the salt. Cover with a lid and cook for about seven minutes, stirring frequently. Remove the cooked chicken to a large bowl (very large) and pour any juices from the pan into the boiling chicken stock.
Return the wok to the stove and reheat. Add the onion, garlic, peppers, bok choy, water chestnuts, and bamboo shoots. Stir fry on highest heat setting for five minutes without lid. Remove the cooked vegetables to the bowl with the chicken. Add the spices and soy sauce to the bowl and mix well.
Place the bean sprouts into the wok and cover. Add ½ cup water to the wok. Cook for seven to ten minutes until the bean sprouts turn white and loose there translucent quality. Add to the meat and vegetable mixture and toss thoroughly. Place bowl where you can easily reach into it and let cool for ten minutes.
Remove the skin and bones from the broth and discard. Add water to make two cups of broth. Use the broth as the basic stock for pineapple sweet and sour sauce.
Frying egg rolls is best done with an assistant, or partner. As the egg rolls are made, they should be immediately placed in hot oil. As the uncooked egg rolls sit, the water and vegetable fluids will cause the skins to become gooey and hard to work with. Working with a partner will also reduce the work load and total cooking time.
Put a finger bowl filled with water within easy reach. Place an egg roll skin onto a clean dry surface. Put one tbs. Of the chicken mixture onto the egg roll skin center. Dip your fingers into the water and use them to wet all four edges of the egg roll skin. Fold two opposite sides toward the center until they just begin to cover the filling. Grasp one of the unfolded edges and place over the filling. Continue rolling into a complete cylinder. Set aside. Make as many egg rolls as you desire. Experiment with the amount of filling you add. Deep fry in hot peanut oil immediately until lightly browned. Drain on paper towels to remove excess oil. Serve with pineapple sweet and sour sauce and mustard sauce, and with fried or steamed brown rice.

Oh, one more thing about egg roll skins. You can wrap cheese and meat in them, place them in a covered casserole dish, pour your favorite tomato based sauce over top, and cook them in the oven, like manicotti. Yum.

You can omit rolling the egg rolls, and instead fry them until crips, like is done with fresh corn tortillas.then break them into the veggies on th plate. Use the sweet & sour sauce as a condiment.

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- https://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 07:46 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
oh dear.... does this show my rather nasty constant train of thought?
You and me both, sister!!!
It takes a lot of effort for me to 'be good' and refrain from off color remarks.
larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 07:47 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I have saved this recipe and will probably try it soon.
Old 05-10-2020, 06:05 AM   #12
Master Chef

Copied and saved, Kayelle, Thanks sounds and looks yummy!

true - a lot of those ingredients I usually have on hand and often need to be used up!
Old 06-08-2021, 12:25 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I finally got around to trying this recipe. I did cheat and use a frozen stir fry mix for the two cups of vegis. I forgot the mung bean sprouts. But, it was still very tasty. I will definitely be making this again.
Old 06-09-2021, 07:21 PM   #14
Cupcake

It looks delicious!

~Kathleen

A little bit Ginger. A little bit Mary Ann.
Kathleen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
egg, recipe

Egg Roll in a Bowl, AKA "Fancy Crack Slaw" [B] My "Egg Roll in a Bowl, aka Fancy Crack Slaw"[/B] [FONT=Arial]This recipe is by request from the dinner thread last night. It took me longer type it up, than to cook it. [/FONT] [FONT=Arial]You will need a wok or a large sauté pan,(at least 3 qt). A large bowl for the veggies and also a small bowl for the sauce.[/FONT] [B][FONT=Arial]1 lb of [U]ground beef,[/U] or [U]ground pork[/U], or [U]raw shelled shrimp[/U]. (I used beef last night)[/FONT][/B] [FONT=Arial]Vegetables…[/FONT] [B][FONT=Arial]14 oz. of shredded cabbage [/FONT][/B] [B][FONT=Arial]2-4 cups combined of veggies of your choice:[/FONT][/B] [B][FONT=Arial]The single amounts are up to you to make up the 2-4 cups of veggies..[/FONT][/B] [FONT=Arial](I used a 4 cup mix of the following:)[/FONT] [FONT=Arial]Bell Peppers, sliced (I used both red and green)[/FONT] [FONT=Arial]Sliced green onion, reserving the dark green part for garnish[/FONT] [FONT=Arial]Bias sliced celery[/FONT] [FONT=Arial]Grated or julienned carrot[/FONT] [FONT=Arial]1 can of baby corn pieces, well rinsed. (I can get them at the $ store)[/FONT] [FONT=Arial]Fresh bean sprouts[/FONT] [FONT=Arial]Stir Fry Sauce…[/FONT] [FONT=Arial]¼ Cup low sodium Soy Sauce[/FONT] [FONT=Arial]¼ Cup toasted sesame oil[/FONT] [FONT=Arial]3 Tbs. rice wine vinegar[/FONT] [FONT=Arial]2 tsp. Fish Sauce[/FONT] [FONT=Arial]2 tsp. honey[/FONT] [FONT=Arial]1 tsp. grated fresh ginger[/FONT] [FONT=Arial]1 grated garlic clove[/FONT] [FONT=Arial]2 tsp. corn starch[/FONT] [FONT=Arial]Instructions:[/FONT] [FONT=Arial]Prepare all the vegetables and put them into the large bowl.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial]In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients for the stir fry sauce.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial]Cook your ground meat, drain into a colander and reserve. If you are using shrimp, lightly cook them in a little oil till just barely pink. Remove from the pan and set aside.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial]Add a little cooking oil (I prefer Peanut oil) to the wok or Sauté pan.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial]Stir fry the vegetables to your liking and then add back your protein to the pan. [/FONT] [FONT=Arial]Stir the sauce again to make sure the corn starch is incorporated. Pour all over the ingredients and stir till the sauce is slightly thickened. [/FONT] [FONT=Arial]Serve topped with reserved green onion tops, sesame seeds, sliced almonds, and Chinese parsley (cilantro) For me, it’s also a bottle of Sriracha and bottle of wine on the table. [/FONT] [FONT=Arial]P.S.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial]If you’re feeling energetic, it would be extra special with a side of Jasmine rice, or Dragon Lady Sesame Noodles.[/FONT] 3 stars 1 reviews