Enchilada Challenge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dina, this wasn't a contest or anything like that. I just used the word "challenge" because I felt I had a difficult request lol. Feel free to throw in your two cents;)

Mandoman, I have already tried corn torts here and apparently the corn meal isn't right so they came out awful. We have tons of bags of corn meal, it's popular in Romania so they have it here in Bulgaria too but none of it is Masa Harina which apparently I need to make good torts.

I'd also like to add that although I appreciate everyone's input, I really only wanted to know if corn chips would soften in the hot oven with the sauce on top of it and all that. I really hate cooking and don't want to have to make corn torts. I tried it once hoping it would be easy and it isn't. It's bad enough that I have to make flour tortillas cause the only one's available here are darn expensive. I have a baby and really don't have time for all this even if I did enjoy making everything by scratch lol.

Arcana said:
Dina, this wasn't a contest or anything like that. I just used the word "challenge" because I felt I had a difficult request lol. Feel free to throw in your two cents;)

Mandoman, I have already tried corn torts here and apparently the corn meal isn't right so they came out awful. We have tons of bags of corn meal, it's popular in Romania so they have it here in Bulgaria too but none of it is Masa Harina which apparently I need to make good torts.

I'd also like to add that although I appreciate everyone's input, I really only wanted to know if corn chips would soften in the hot oven with the sauce on top of it and all that. I really hate cooking and don't want to have to make corn torts. I tried it once hoping it would be easy and it isn't. It's bad enough that I have to make flour tortillas cause the only one's available here are darn expensive. I have a baby and really don't have time for all this even if I did enjoy making everything by scratch lol.

Sorry, I kind of take for granted the availability of good supplies for texmex cooking. I think the only difference in the mix and reg corn meal is the grind. The mix is ground extreemly fine like flour, otherwise there should be no need for extra additives or ingredients. As far as the chips softening, I don't think baking in a conventional oven will hurt them provided you use a chunky salsa without being too watery or thin. Whatever you do, don't microwave chips, if you want them to stay crisp.
Hint--If you want to use bag tortilla chips, and make them tast to their very best, drop them in hot oil for just a few minutes, and will revive the flavor of the chip.:rolleyes:

We really don't need contests between us here at DC. Everyone is a great cook in their very own way. I would have contributed a recipe or two on enchiladas; I just missed this thread since I wasn't online. Maybe next time.

Mandoman, I totally took for granted the lack of alot of ingredients when I left the USA. I briefly lived in China and was shocked and mortified that they don't eat cheese!!!! Kraft was trying to open a factory there to ease them into it but I don't know if that ever happened. I love and LIVE for cheese and all they had was some sliced cheese that I had to buy from a fast food place. I was told if that in Beijing, they had a store that had all sorts of ethnic foods but I wasn't in Beijing and never got to go investigate whether or not it was true.

And by the way, I don't want the chips to stay crunchy lol. I want them to soften and become like a tortilla and I'm not sure if that's possible and if so, how much sauce to add. I wouldn't want to drown them in sauce and not be able to taste the corn at all, that's the reason I love corn torts in the first place lol.

Mandoman, offtopic question....do you play the mandolin? I absolutely adore that instrument (although not in a country music venue but in medievel stuff) and thought about learning how to play one myself:)

velochic said:
I have made it a point to go into a grocery of every country I've been to, even for a visit. You're right - it is, indeed fun. And it really shows the soul the of the country. I think a grocery is more informational than anything about a country, except perhaps dining in someone's home - and even that is only a sample of one.

I totally agree with you, velochic----there were things that I saw in Egypt and India that were fantastic and nowhere else in this world would you see them---even in Houston there are things that I see in local Mexican groceries that you won't find anywhere else. Asian groceries are also an amazement which we also have in Houston. I'll never forget the time that I turned around from bewilderment and walked straight into a beef carcass hanging upside down in a Cairo supermarket--bam right in the face!:sick:

Arcana - I know these are the same as enchiladas but you can make "chilaquiles" using your chips, or stale dry corn tortillas. (lots of recipes on the internet if you google chilaquiles". I've done this for a hurry up in a fix dinner; put some of your sauce in the bottom of the baking dish, layer the chips and any other ingredients you'd like to use (meat, onions, olives, cheese, etc.) with the chips. When all your layers are in pour in a good amount of your chile sauce (you'll want it quite soupy because the chips will absorb the sauce) top with more cheese and bake. Serve them with sour cream and garnish with diced onion & black olives.

My mind is now toying with polenta - thin layers of soft creamy polenta alternating with layers of cheese and sauce -or whatever else you wanted to use. May have to try that some night. Yummm.:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom