Enchiladas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyndalou

Head Chef
I would like to make some enchiladas one day this week. I've never made them.I will most certainly have leftovers because it's just my
DH and myself.
Do the leftovers refrigerate well? I would hate to have some soggy "stuff" the next dday.

Yep, what Kay said. :)

And to add, while not as "authentic" as corn tortilla enchiladas, flour tortillas tend to hold up a little better. If I'm pretty sure I'll be reheating them over the next few days, I'll use flour. Putting them between two damp paper towels and heating them up in the microwave for a few seconds, will make them pliable enough to roll up with your filling.

If you use corn tortillas, they need to be quickly (like just a few seconds) fried in a little hot oil (or your heated enchilada sauce) to become pliable enough to roll.

Happy enchilada-ing! I love them - they're a staple in my house. :LOL: :yum:

Last edited:
Dipping the corn tortillas in warmed enchilada sauce also makes them pliable and easy to roll.

Last edited:
Ohhh goodie, let's talk more about one of my favorite dishes.

I prefer corn tortillas for beef or pork filling, but flour for chicken or seafood. I don't like full strength classic enchilada sauce and often use cheese soup, or golden mushroom soup mixed with it.

Sometimes with the cheese topping I add chopped hard boiled egg and sliced olives, like my mother did.
Off to the store for the fixins. Yummm

I love to top mine with green onions, olives, cilantro and sour cream.

:yum: I'm having a major enchilada craving now, but it will have to wait until later in the week.

img_1397415_0_f24efa84a975ff0c35e1a59f8424ac50.jpg

I do my chicken enchiladas in green sauce. Karen prefers flour and I prefer corn tortillas. Anyone like chicken chilaquiles?

Thanks, Dawg! :)

Kay, cilantro is mandatory for me, too. A couple of my family members don't care for it, so when I make a Mexican feast I'll put it in a bowl on the side for whoever wants it.

Craig, I love green chile sauce, too. It's a nice change from the red, and so good with chicken. Yum.....

Last edited:
OK, I am lazy. We've been making stacked enchiladas. I grew tomatillos so I could make and can green sauce for these:

Dip corn tortillas in warm sauce. Layer tortilla, a little sauce, grated cheese (we like jack and cheddar), chopped onion and chicken if you have it (or beans....whatever you got). Use three tortillas for each serving. Stack them in pie plates and bake for 10 minutes or so until everything's melted. You can garnish with a plop of sour cream/avocado/cilantro/a few chopped tomatoes....whatever.

I love enchiladas. My especialidad de casa is Enchiladas Suissas. "Swiss style" which means dairy products.

Don't measure things. I'll give it to you off the cuff. I have my home cooked recipe but La Victoria green chili medium salsa cuts out 50% of the work.

Start with cooked chicken chunks. Saute some chopped onions, then pour in salsa and simmer. Add some powdered cumin to taste.

Get a plate and pour some salsa in it. I'm a flour tortilla person. Get some and soak one in your salsa covered plate until both sides are moistened. Toss in some chopped, cooked chicken, pour in some salsa, and add some shredded cheese. Use your imagination. There are Mexican cheese blends but I like Swiss..

Roll it up and put in a baking dish. Repeat. When you have several filled enchiladas, pour the remaining sauce over, then drizzle with milk and/or cream, and top off with more cheese.

Bake 15-20 minutes at 350F, until the topping cheese is golden. Serve.

Last edited:
OK, I am lazy. We've been making stacked enchiladas. I grew tomatillos so I could make and can green sauce for these:

Dip corn tortillas in warm sauce. Layer tortilla, a little sauce, grated cheese (we like jack and cheddar), chopped onion and chicken if you have it (or beans....whatever you got). Use three tortillas for each serving. Stack them in pie plates and bake for 10 minutes or so until everything's melted. You can garnish with a plop of sour cream/avocado/cilantro/a few chopped tomatoes....whatever.

What a good idea to use individual pie pans!

Back
Top Bottom