Enchiladas YUM TNT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kadesma

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
These are so good. The green chile sauce is good and gives that taste of home. For the sauce combine 3 cups of white sauce 1 7oz can of mild green chiles chopped and 1/3 minced onion a sauce pan simmer til onion is tender about 15 min. Set aside. Mix4cups each of Monterey Jack and longhorn each grated Now mix the cheeses with the onion.Heat 1/2 inch veggie oil in small skillet. Dip each of 12 corn tortillas In oil to softenabout 5 seconds. Drain on paper towels. Placesome cheese on each tortilla and roll. Place filled tortillas in large flat lightly greased baking dish.Top with some of the green chile sauce sprinkle with any remaining cheese Broil til bubbly and everything is hot. Top with sour cream just before serving top al with either chives or sliced green onions
kadesma:)

These are so good. The green chile sauce is good and gives that taste of home. For the sauce combine 3 cups of white sauce 1 7oz can of mild green chiles chopped and 1/3 minced onion a sauce pan simmer til onion is tender about 15 min. Set aside. Mix4cups each of Monterey Jack and longhorn each grated Now mix the cheeses with the onion.Heat 1/2 inch veggie oil in small skillet. Dip each of 12 corn tortillas In oil to softenabout 5 seconds. Drain on paper towels. Placesome cheese on each tortilla and roll. Place filled tortillas in large flat lightly greased baking dish.Top with some of the green chile sauce sprinkle with any remaining cheese Broil til bubbly and everything is hot. Top with sour cream just before serving top al with either chives or sliced green onions
kadesma:)
What is this white sauce mentioned at the beginning of the recipe?

-Damien

For each cup of white sauce: 1 TBS. butter, 1 TBS. flour, 1 C. milk. Melt butter, stir or wisk in flour, add milk gradually while stirring. It will thicken up like a gravy.

For each cup of white sauce: 1 TBS. butter, 1 TBS. flour, 1 C. milk. Melt butter, stir or wisk in flour, add milk gradually while stirring. It will thicken up like a gravy.
Thanks for the help I was knee deep in kids and cooking for everyone today and just got a chance to see your post, Thanks again
kades:)

Be sure to cook the flour in the butter at low heat for 5-10 minutes before adding the milk. That will take away any unpleasant raw flavours from the flour.

Be sure to cook the flour in the butter at low heat for 5-10 minutes before adding the milk. That will take away any unpleasant raw flavours from the flour.
The longer you cook the butter and flour the less thickening it will do. I only cook my butter and flour for about a minute before adding the liquid. I like a nice light blond roux that thickens and quickly.

I don't cook my roux for white sauce and I've never noticed a floury taste. It is only a tablespoon to a cup of milk. I learned in high school Home ec., and it has been one of my best lessons, because by swapping out ingredients I can make any kind of sauce or gravy. Without lumps! i.e., bacon grease instead of butter, stock or broth for the liquid.

This is the only place where I don't cook the roux. I like my white sauce white. I also don't use pan drippings after frying. There are always some burnt bits and I don't like the flavor. If making something like chicken fried steak, I make my white sauce separately so as to avoid that burnt taste from the drippings.

:chef:

Last edited:
I don't cook my roux for white sauce and I've never noticed a floury taste. It is only a tablespoon to a cup of milk. I learned in high school Home ec., and it has been one of my best lessons, because by swapping out ingredients I can make any kind of sauce or gravy. Without lumps! i.e., bacon grease instead of butter, stock or broth for the liquid.

This is the only place where I don't cook the roux. I like my white sauce white. I also don't use pan drippings after frying. There are always some burnt bits and I don't like the flavor. If making something like chicken fried steak, I make my white sauce separately so as to avoid that burnt taste from the drippings.

:chef:
I used the chicken fat and fond no butter to make my gravy the other night it was yummy.

img_986569_0_dab51acba589a05a33510bdd0b8bd02f.jpg

img_986569_1_2616af6d38c039e26b181b6b765c54f5.jpg

Back
Top Bottom